Led Zeppelin to receive Kennedy Center Honor

Janvier

Thanks everyone! I see a big ole grammatical error but I can't figure out how to edit. Oh well, I was on a roll!

Just to add a few non-zeppelin highlights....Tina Fey was hysterical in her tribute to Letterman. The Buddy Guy tribute was overwhelmingly awesome, Jimmy Kimmel was funny, Ray Romano (sp?) talked about losing his virginity to STH and the tribute to Natasha the Prima ballerina was one of the most moving things I've ever seen. Oh, and I think Robert DeNiro was a little drunk...lol! :)

Thanks everyone! I see a big ole grammatical error but I can't figure out how to edit. Oh well, I was on a roll!

Just to add a few non-zeppelin highlights....Tina Fey was hysterical in her tribute to Letterman. The Buddy Guy tribute was overwhelmingly awesome, Jimmy Kimmel was funny, Ray Romano (sp?) talked about losing his virginity to STH and the tribute to Natasha the Prima ballerina was one of the most moving things I've ever seen. Oh, and I think Robert DeNiro was a little drunk...lol!

Adding to the choir- Great recap and so glad you had the chance to attend!!

Thank you Gigi for sharing your incredible experiences with us. I know you had a blast and can't wait to see it on the 26th.

Editorial note: I don't have any criticism of the Kennedy Center Honors program or ceremony. I am so proud of the band and their families to have this special recognition bestowed upon them. The POTUS clearly is not a fan but I don't expect everyone to be one. I thought his speech was respectful and funny. He did poke fun at the other honorees. As for the musical guests honoring Zeppelin they were playing from the heart and Jimmy seemed to enjoy what was presented. I guess there will always be those for whom the glass is always half empty.

In other words, be thankful for the band for all that they have acheived and quit your bitching!

Exciting stuff.

thanks to everyone for the postings this has been a spectacular event to share in.

Deborah J. cool video. I hope there will be more of this type of thing showing up. Lately I've been thinking how cool it would have been to make an independent/documentary film about zeppelin in DC this past weekend (if only I had the expertise and had thought of it earlier). Maybe somebody who had a press pass and accessible the guys will?

Gigi great to get a first-hand review.

The pics of the boys with the President are fascinating

I am so happy for them and can not wait to see it on 12/26. Thank you for this clip above Deb. I love what BP wrote on facebook. :D

Such a hoot & a good vibe! Who'd have thought it? I mean, c'mon... from outlaws to the benediction of The President Of The United States. The mind boggles. And the Led Zeppelin music, it's BRILLIANT. Excellent. Miles of smiles.

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the evening, Gigi!

If I may weigh in, I don't think the President's remarks were in any way disrespectful and it shouldn't really matter if he was a fan or not. Not everyone is but I think he understood and conveyed their influence appropriately. The speech was funny and it was honest; I don't know anyone who thinks of Zeppelin and is able to ignore their 70s mystique-that's half the charm! Besides, the surviving members are big boys and don't need constant reverence. Receiving this honor is a huge deal and I'm sure that they-and the other honorees-were treated with the utmost respect during the entire event.

Glad to see them feted in such a lovely way.

Thanks everyone for your kindness! After re-reading my post, I’m a bit embarrassed about my writing. That was written after several glasses of wine on my patio while my patient husband was listening to me give him a VERY detailed report of my weekend and of the show. But, hey it was from the heart and I was still reeling...listening to Zeppelin full blast in my study. I cannot wait for y’all to see this on the 26th! :)

Thanks for the clips, Deb! I spent some time today finally reading everything online and looking at the pictures. It’s surreal to think that I was actually there and it’s an experience I will never, ever forget!

honors_logo.gif

Buddy Guy, Dustin Hoffman, David Letterman, Natalia Makarova, and Led Zeppelin to Receive 35th Annual Kennedy Center Honors

America to Celebrate the Careers of Seven Extraordinary Artists, Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gala will be broadcast on CBS on December 26, 2012 at 9:00-11:00 p.m., ET/PT

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts has announced the selection of the seven individuals who will receive the 2012 Kennedy Center Honors. Recipients to be honored at the 35th annual national celebration of the arts are: bluesman Buddy Guy, actor Dustin Hoffman, comedian and television host David Letterman, ballerina Natalia Makarova, and rock band Led Zeppelin. While Led Zeppelin is being honored as a band, keyboardist/bassist John Paul Jones, guitarist Jimmy Page, and singer Robert Plant will each receive the Kennedy Center Honors.

http://www.kennedy-c...levents/honors/

I plan to watch the Gala.....I'm working throughout Christmas but I have that evening off...I'll get out my Gala wear and buy some Canadian cheese and wine....

Juliet

I thought Obama's intro was good, but he almost stepped in it, lol! When he said something like "the last time they played together in 2007, maybe the last time ever, we don't know". I thought..."oh man, don't go there", lol!

It was nice to hear Robert say how proud he is of what Zeppelin accomplished. So much for the Robert haters!

Archived