Equipment questions

Jason's snare was a Ludwig Supraphonic (402) chrome over aluminum (called "Luddaloy" back in the day). It's 6.5"x14", and with ten lugs. It's the exact same model that his daddy used and is still being made exactly like it was in the early 70's.

Thanks for the info. I'm fussy on snares, thought JBs was sounding pretty good

JPJ....JP had 4 Orange AD200B heads...

This is incorrect;)

First off, AD200B's are bass heads.

Secondly, from the closeup shots of the 2 Orange amps on the left hand side you can clearly tell that they are single channel AD30 heads. In fact Page has used AD30s a lot over the past several years. AD30s are now out of production PCB heads with an EL84 power section and two preamp tubes. I owned an AD30r combo and it was one hell of a great amp. B)

The Orange amps on the far right are Orange Custom Shop 50 watt heads. Orange "made" two Custom Shop models: the AD50 which is a lot like the standard AD amps with the addition of a built in lead boost and 2 EL34s and the Retro 50 which is essentially the same amp with a more vintage Orange sound. Although there is no confirmation from anyone I've talked to -- the word is that Page uses Retro 50s. I'd have to see a closer picture to confirm this...although it kind of makes sense since they offer an "Orange" sound with a slight tonal variation over the AD 30s he had on stage.

I've posted this information on the Orangeamps.com/forum and I'll link the thread here that lays everything out somewhere on pages 1 and 3: http://www.orangeamps.com/forumtest/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21605

It's also worth noting that the Orange/Matamps that Page used in the past (circa The Song Remains The Same) were only used for his Therimen. After thinking about this it kind of makes sense since Orange/Matamps were some of the first amps to really employ an effects loop -- which would be perfect for using delays;)

It looks like he had some Marshalls Custom built for this show. Check out the cool pic from Ross Halfin's site. Check those KT66's!!!

led-zeppelin-colour37.jpg

I think the LP with the black bridge pickup might be his signature model

17592875-17592877-large.jpg

I'm pretty sure the LP with the double cream pickup in the bridge is the #1

DSCF0232.jpg

Here's a cool shot if the Cherry B-Bender

17600816-17600818-large.jpg

Also I think I read in Guitar World Gibson might do a limited run of Jimmy Page Black Beautys. So if you've got $25,000 laying around...

It looks like he had some Marshalls Custom built for this show. Check out the cool pic from Ross Halfin's site. Check those KT66's!!!

led-zeppelin-colour37.jpg

I think the LP with the black bridge pickup might be his signature model

17592875-17592877-large.jpg

I'm pretty sure the LP with the double cream pickup in the bridge is the #1

DSCF0232.jpg

Here's a cool shot if the Cherry B-Bender

17600816-17600818-large.jpg

Also I think I read in Guitar World Gibson might do a limited run of Jimmy Page Black Beautys. So if you've got $25,000 laying around...

Great pics of that Marshall! B)

a few things I've gleaned perusing gibson.com:

The signature models are such close copies of the originals that w/o the previously mentioned pic of the "inked on" serial number there is noway to know if he had the "big dogs" there or not.

Look at the level of detail in this eds 1275 sig model, unreal!

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/cgi-bin/toast....0&tid=38052

a note on the pickups from the forum admin on #1:

"as with many of our Signature models, we did the JPP model to reflect the guitar as it exists today, and it currently has no cover on that pickup."

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/cgi-bin/toast....0&tid=39100

nice forum, UB :D

I'm pretty sure I saw and heard Mr. Plant playing harp on Nobody's Fault But Mine. I'll be honest with you: I mostly kept my beady little eyes focused on one James P. Page -- that was my first time seeing The Man play live. He was enthralling, plus it was neat to pick up on these little quirks that a filmed performance can't quite translate: like the way his left foot is often pointing up when he's playing a tricky passage; the way he plays with his body orientated to his left; raising his right hand to indicate to Jason when his solo is wrapping up, etc.

BTW, has Jimmy ever played that semi-hollow Gibson onstage before?

Dunno - but the synergie on your post between your avatar and photo are conclusive proof that time rolls on but genius settles in the same pose

Between the Marshalls and Orange there was a more modern looking pair of amps that I swear looked like 5150's. The faceplate didn't say 5150, though, it looked like it was modified to say "Jimmy Page" but someone on another forum said it probably said "Genz Benz," another boutique amp.

The LP with the BLACK exposed bridge pickup is #1

The LP with the WHITE exposed bridge pickup is #2 (first time out with exposed coils since the '70s - it's has both covers on since then)

#1 looks like the signature models because they were copied from it (doh!) but there are enough unique feature on the guitar to id it.

My original list, that someone quoted above, lists what songs each guitar was used for too:

It's post #22 in this thread -

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...20&start=20

Between the Marshalls and Orange there was a more modern looking pair of amps that I swear looked like 5150's. The faceplate didn't say 5150, though, it looked like it was modified to say "Jimmy Page" but someone on another forum said it probably said "Genz Benz," another boutique amp.

Those are Petersburg amps, he used them with Page/Plant. There's not much info on them but they are Russian and I've seen them compared to Sovteks. Probably because they're Russian.

can you help me ? Why is on Pages ORANGE only the letter OR' and 'GE', i miss the 'AN' from the ORANGE-word....

thank you from Austria

I noticed this about 10 minutes in to the gig as well. I suspect it is because there is another Orange who are nothing to do with the amp manufacturer but are a competitor to O2 in the mobile phone network business. I bet the venue sponsers did not want the name of a competitor to be seen on stage at such a high profile event.

It looks like Mr Page even had to conform to corporate pressure on this one?

...In My Time of Dying is played on slide (I know because I can play it) and it is actually C tuning. CGCGCE...

Not quite - although you can approximate IMTOD in pretty much any open tuning.

It was recorded in open A, but Zep have always played it live in open G.

The O2 show was no exception to this: the ES350 was in open G.

Archived