Celebration day movie - how do you think Jimmy "corrected" the D&C segment?

hecube

tmtomh,

I can verify that. I was standing positioned between where Robert and Jimmy were on stage. Jimmy's guitar sounded absolutely incredible - the tone and volume level were awesome. However, at least from where I was standing, I could barely hear the bass at all - and that incliuded the intro to "Dazed". Now reading about the recording technique used, I am REALLY looking forward to hearing the gig as it should have sounded!

I’m sure he will correct it somehow. Either by using the tracks from the full rehearsal they did a day or 2 before, or I’m sure Jones and Bonham would’ve been more than happy to go into a studio and do overdubs for him. They wouldn’t have needed Robert.

tmtomh,

I can verify that. I was standing positioned between where Robert and Jimmy were on stage. Jimmy's guitar sounded absolutely incredible - the tone and volume level were awesome. However, at least from where I was standing, I could barely hear the bass at all - and that incliuded the intro to "Dazed". Now reading about the recording technique used, I am REALLY looking forward to hearing the gig as it should have sounded!

Right now I'm watching D & C on The Four Eyes Boot DVD, Jonsey's Bass is awsome all the way through...you not hearing it must have had something to do with were you were standing.

Is there any reason to dick around with what a lot of you people saw live or on YouTube? I think not. Leave the live human element intact.

Artistry is imperfect. To think otherwise, is sheer folly.

Leave the airbrushing to others.

johnthomasmoby,

You could be right. But since others had the same critcism regarding the low volume of the bass, it's also possible the engineers that made your copy may have boosted the bass in the recording.

I know i'm right, I've Listened and watched the show enough times over the last almost five years to know that the sound of the Bass is as clear as a ...Bass.

Folks, there's a tunnel under my stairs that leads - would you believe - directly into Jimmy Page's head. Yeah, just like in Being John Malkovich. It sounds crazy, I know.

Anyhoo, without giving any personal details away, I have seen the O2 concert (it's great!) while Jimmy was in the editing room and - incredibly and unbelievably - they have teleported in Shirley Bassey crooning Goldfinger during the D&C segment, along with the John Barry orchestra, nicely distracting everyone from any apparent miscues in D&C. It's unbelievable that no-one actually filmed this happening on the night. Or even saw it happen. I mean, I was as surprised as the next person when I saw the concert through Jimmy's head, but there you go.

So, the as-yet-unreleased actual title of the new concert film is, in fact - and spank my bottom and call me Margaret if I'm lying - "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day (with special guest SHIRLEY BASSEY WHA-WHAAAAA-WHAAAA".

I hope this clears up any confusion in this most vital thread of threads.

Good night. WHA-WHAAAAA-WHAAAA

Folks, there's a tunnel under my stairs that leads - would you believe - directly into Jimmy Page's head. Yeah, just like in Being John Malkovich. It sounds crazy, I know.

Anyhoo, without giving any personal details away, I have seen the O2 concert (it's great!) while Jimmy was in the editing room and - incredibly and unbelievably - they have teleported in Shirley Bassey crooning Goldfinger during the D&C segment, along with the John Barry orchestra, nicely distracting everyone from any apparent miscues in D&C. It's unbelievable that no-one actually filmed this happening on the night. Or even saw it happen. I mean, I was as surprised as the next person when I saw the concert through Jimmy's head, but there you go.

So, the as-yet-unreleased actual title of the new concert film is, in fact - and spank my bottom and call me Margaret if I'm lying - "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day (with special guest SHIRLEY BASSEY WHA-WHAAAAA-WHAAAA".

I hope this clears up any confusion in this most vital thread of threads.

Good night. WHA-WHAAAAA-WHAAAA

Perfect!!! Thanks for making me laugh!!! :) Also, NO ONE is perfect, not even the revered Led Zep. For what? 10 seconds of material we are complaining? I'll take whatever I can get and 10seconds isn't going to keep me from buying this. I just hope it is a straight concert and NOT like the abyssmal The Song Remains The Same. And if anyone saw Zep in concert you would know what I mean.

Jeff

So funny and entertaining Triplet Kick! Good work and loved it. If Shirley Bassey, doesn't show up in the film, when I see it on October 17th, then you pulled one over on us and I'm coming after you, for letting me down!

Great Sombrero & SuperDave, thanks. Your smiles makes the long swim back to Dublin from the New Jersey turnpike worthwhile (after I get dumped outta Jimmy's head, that is).

And Dave, if you happen to catch me, just call me Margaret.

Great Sombrero & SuperDave, thanks. Your smiles makes the long swim back to Dublin from the New Jersey turnpike worthwhile (after I get dumped outta Jimmy's head, that is).

And Dave, if you happen to catch me, just call me Margaret.

Will do!

tmtomh,

I was stood roughly halfway between the stage and the soundboard, centre (probably a bit further forward than Per, who made the Schoeps recording), and listening back to the recording I made, to my ears the sound was messed up the first few songs (muddy, though this improves, also the feedback others have mentioned). There wasn't a lack of bass, though I think a lot of this early on is Jason's rather than JPJ's. The sound engineer must have gradually brought this under control, as by "In My Time Of Dying" it sounds almost spot on.

The O2 is a pretty horrible shed, sound wise, and I've made plenty of better sounding tapes over the years, though what a terrific honour it was to be in attendance at this show.

I remember that being a pretty odd week, my health was pretty touch and go - on 4th December I'd attended the Aura gig at Islington Bar Academy (with Robert in attendence, to watch his son Jesse play drums), and I passed out during the Rose Hill Drive headline set, which made a very odd listen, as my stealth audio gear was still running. In the end I made it to the O2, and enjoyed the gig. Just over a month later on 14th January 2008 I was undergoing an emergency stomach operation - thanks to St. Mary's hospital for saving my life.

I for one am hoping he fixes it. Im all for the 'beauty of being human', but to me that particular trainwreck made for a very anti-climatic moment following a ripping solo by Jimmy. I was at the show and it was my only dissappointment. Shit happens, its just too bad it happened at that show.... To me the fix is fairly easy. From what I understand they recorded the rehearsal a couple nights earlier. You can strip in the audio from that for that section and with some creative quick video editing you can easily mask it.

As far as WHAT happened, you can clearly hear Jason at the end of Jimmys solo lead in with a drum fill for where the first E chord should have been. For some reason Jimmy didnt hit it there. He came in afterward. From that point on they were completely out of sync but I dont think Jason new it. He ran through all the remaining sections and fills as if they WERE in sync. It took a while for them to realise it had fallen apart and you can hear Jimmy trying to figure out where they were at... I personally think that they had some difficulty hearing each other clearly on stage. Any of you in a band would know that sometimes you can launch into a part of a song and think everyone is with you and if its such a muddled loud mess while your performing you may not even know that you were trainwrecking at the time!... Oh well, I hope they fix it.

I double checked and yeah i see it now. I stand corrected sir.

The green laser thing you see at 53 sec is not the pyramid from D&C at all.

The pyramid was projected from the top (see the following clip a the 6 minute mark)

What you see in the trailer is projected from the side of the stage.

This happened during the psychedelic segment of WLL (see clip at 2.33)

http://youtu.be/136L_-ieDXI

Archived