Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

Jahfin

I'd say Alanis Morissette is one. Sheryl Crow another. Gwen Stefani/No Doubt. The whole new slew of folk pop women like Vanessa Carlton and Michelle Branch. Whether or not they're the style of rock you prefer, they would be considered rock musicians.

I'd also add that Madonna's influence helped break down a lot of the barriers to get women accepted for play on radio when DJ's were instructed not to play songs by female artists back to back. That's pretty influential for any type of music, rock included.

I'd say Alanis Morissette is one. Sheryl Crow another. Gwen Stefani/No Doubt. The whole new slew of folk pop women like Vanessa Carlton and Michelle Branch. Whether or not they're the style of rock you prefer, they would be considered rock musicians.

I'd also add that Madonna's influence helped break down a lot of the barriers to get women accepted for play on radio when DJ's were instructed not to play songs by female artists back to back. That's pretty influential for any type of music, rock included.

I don't for one minute, consider Michelle Branch or Vanessa Carlton folk. Do you realize that there are boundries when classifying music. No doubt and Alanis Morisset are somewhat close, But If anything, I'd put them in the Pop/Rock category. Which is short for Popular Rock, not Rock n' Roll.

Gwen Stefani alone, on the other hand, is straight pop, laced with really shitty dance music. Sheryl Crow is in the same Pop/Rock category.

There is a reason that the Black Crowes were called "The most rock n' roll, rock n' roll band" And there is a reason why No Doubt never was.

I'm really sick of people like you making excuses about Rock n' Roll. Rock might be a larger scale category, but for Rock n' Roll, you had better fight the system, just like the shit Jahfin and I are talking about.

Had you said Madonna influenced the Chris and Rich Robinson (and weren't lying) then I might give her some credit.

Keep in mind also, that I said "name me anyone important". The people you named have done nothing, but cater to the system. Madonna broke some rules, but did she do it for the right reasons?

Just to give you an example, here are some bands or people I consider Rock n' Roll.

Elvis

Buddy Holly

Ozzy Osbourne

AC/DC

Cheap Trick

Dio

Allman Brothers

Joe Walsh

ect...

Do you see where I'm going here? Some would have me categorize these bands/people as "Metal" "Southern Rock" "Blues" "Hard Rock" even "Rockabilly"

I don't for one minute, consider Michelle Branch or Vanessa Carlton folk. Do you realize that there are boundries when classifying music. No doubt and Alanis Morisset are somewhat close, But If anything, I'd put them in the Pop/Rock category. Which is short for Popular Rock, not Rock n' Roll.

Gwen Stefani alone, on the other hand, is straight pop, laced with really shitty dance music. Sheryl Crow is in the same Pop/Rock category.

There is a reason that the Black Crowes were called "The most rock n' roll, rock n' roll band" And there is a reason why No Doubt never was.

I'm really sick of people like you making excuses about Rock n' Roll. Rock might be a larger scale category, but for Rock n' Roll, you had better fight the system, just like the shit Jahfin and I are talking about.

Had you said Madonna influenced the Chris and Rich Robinson (and weren't lying) then I might give her some credit.

Keep in mind also, that I said "name me anyone important". The people you named have done nothing, but cater to the system. Madonna broke some rules, but did she do it for the right reasons?

---

Just to give you an example, here are some bands or people I consider Rock n' Roll.

Elvis

Buddy Holly

Ozzy Osbourne

AC/DC

Cheap Trick

Dio

Allman Brothers

Joe Walsh

ect...

Do you see where I'm going here? Some would have me categorize these bands/people as "Metal" "Southern Rock" "Blues" "Hard Rock" even "Rockabilly"

As I've said over and over, it's not necessarily a "rock and roll" museum as much as it is popular music of the 20th and 21st century hall of fame. Always has been from its inception. Any problems with Wenner and the museum he created should have been brought up then, not 22 voting classes down the line after that was established. He was a driving force for creating the thing. Like I said, if you don't like it, help create a different HOF.

I am not arguing with any of those bands you mentioned EM as they fall into my own PERSONAL tastes. And there are TONS of influential artists who belong in who aren't. But according to your definition, not one Motown act would be in this place. That's simply retarded thinking. And you can't deny that Madonna most certainly is an extension of that Motown/Stax type dance music-singer ethos. Once that criteria was established with inclusion of those '60s acts, then yes, she does belong in that hall of fame. I'll concede the Janis argument, but Madonna is to the '80s what Diana Ross, Aretha or all those other female singers were to the '60s R&B movement.

Did I ever once say that I consider Madonna to be rock and roll? No. I am making the argument for WHY she is in that class and inducted under the criteria that's been established for 21 years. Do I think Madonna influenced rock? Not to a great extent, no. I never said that. To say she had NO impact, though, is narrowminded. I would say about every female performer in recent years has been influenced by Madonna (Karen O even) in both on-stage performance/presence/confidence and at least a little bit vocally.

• 3 months later...
Madonna played the same type of music as current R&R HOF enshrinees:

Etta James

Tina Turner

The Surpremes

Marvin Gaye

Smokey Robinson

Dion

Bobby Darin

The Four Tops

Janis Joplin

etc. etc. etc.

Popular music or not, she's a singer. And popular music is part of the RnR HOF, not solely RnR.

Wonder if she ever covered Leader of the Pack or

How can you compare Madonna to Etta James? And I realize that Madonna and Tina Turner can both dance, and Janis Joplin? Okay maybe they both wear interesting apparel. But Etta James sings very soulful, bluesy rhythms, and Madonna wails pop-flavored melodies. In terms of weather, one is a flood and the other is a drizzle.

Heart did exactly the same thing for women and rock... and the RNRHOF has left them out in the cold

Heart did exactly the same thing for women and rock... and the RNRHOF has left them out in the cold

Heart may well get the nod someday but have they even been nominated? Plus, they may be perceived as some sort of Zep clone.

Heart may well get the nod someday but have they even been nominated? Plus, they may be perceived as some sort of Zep clone.

Baracuda was on the radio last night, and I thought man, this is like a combo of Immigrant Song and ALS. Good band, though. Ann Wilson= what a pair of pipes.

Archived