Led Zeppelin: CELEBRATION DAY (Global Press/Media Coverage)

SteveAJones

• Administrators

Page's adrenaline in Led Zep gig

Jimmy Page says the Led Zeppelin reunion gig whizzed by

F2ACFB73705B8D5652AA578AA95DCD.jpg

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page admits the band's 2007 reunion gig flashed by.

The rockers reformed for a concert at the O2 and footage from the gig is set to be released on DVD.

Jimmy said of the event: "I remember there being a lot of build-up, and feeling like we really had to go in there and let people know what our reputation was about. And that's it, really.

"We went in, it was really intense, and it was over all too quickly."

He added: "It was adrenalin. I remember feeling really twitchy beforehand and just wanting to get on stage."

Jimmy said that he was "humbled" that a new generation of artists say they're inspired by Led Zeppelin.

"If young musicians are inspired by what I do and have done, then fantastic, it just carries it on," he said.

:: Celebration Day will be available on CD, DVD, Blu-ray and vinyl from November 19.

http://celebrity.uk....n-led-zep-gig-1

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin Concert Film from 2007 Gig Hits Theaters This Week,

Shawn of Planet 13 Says Expect a Huge Response

The highly anticipated Led Zeppelin concert film, entitled “Celebration Day”, from the band’s 2007 reunion will hit theatres on October 17th, as reported recently by The Rolling Stone. “Led Zeppelin is one of those rare bands who’ve shifted into true legendary status,” comments Shawn Scott, life-long musician and owner of band merchandise store Planet 13, “the mounting excitement for this film has significantly increased our sales and demand for Led Zeppelin merch.”

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - October 19, 2012

This week’s announcement by The Rolling Stone of “Celebration Day,” the Led Zeppelin concert film from their one-night-only gig in 2007, hitting the theatres on October 17th has not only created a burst of excitement amongst the fans who missed out, but has peaked sales and demand for Led Zeppelin products at online music store Planet 13.

The Led Zeppelin concert was filmed during the highly anticipated one-off concert in London, on 10 December 2007. The show was a tribute concert for Ahmet Ertegun, founder of Atlantic Records, and was their first headlining gig in 27 years.

“Just the fact Led Zeppelin were performing once again was enough to knock fans on their sides,” says Shawn Scott, life-long musician and owner of band merchandise store Planet 13, of the 2007 reunion concert, “in the near-three decades of them being dormant, very few bands achieved the legendary status they did. Zeppelin's music was revolutionary, and no one’s come close to matching them since.”

An astonishing 20 million people tried to get tickets to the show in 2007, but only 18,000 fans were lucky enough score a spot at the venue, which makes this film a dream come true for those who missed out. Shawn further adds, “Imagine the frenzy that ensued once the tickets were released. Less than 1/10th of a percent of fans were going to get a seat, and because almost everyone who wanted to go, didn’t get to go, there’s an insatiable demand to see this film.”

“Celebration Day” will hit 1,500 silver screens on October 17th, with a wider variety of audio and video formats being unleashed a month later on November 19th. “There’s going to be another frenzy for all things Led Zeppelin once the film is out,” comments Shawn, “we’re already experiencing higher sales for Led Zeppelin products and are bracing for more demand as the holiday season approaches.”

The 16-song concert set features the surviving members of Led Zeppelin rocking it out in true form, including vocalist Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist Paul Jones. Son of their late drummer John Bonham, Jason Bonham, proudly filled in on drums.

“I appreciate what the band has done for our industry,” remarks Shawn, “and being a fan myself, I understand how important it is to see this Led Zeppelin concert film – even if it’s only on the big screen - it's probably the closest we're going to get to seeing them live.” The “Celebration Day” set list ran for over 2 hours, including popular songs such as 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Whole Lotta Love'.

"Everything Led Zeppelin does, and has done, becomes huge," laughs Shawn, "and this film release will be just the same. We plan to stock the film for our customers once it becomes available on DVD."

--

Screen Africa

Broadcast, film, commercials, new media & technology news

-------------------------------------------

Editing Led Zeppelin’s concert

Wed, 24 Oct 2012 13:50

Celebration Day, the live concert film featuring Led Zeppelin’s 2007 London Concert, releases on 19 November this year. The concert was Led Zeppelin’s first headline show in 27 years.

Legendary music filmmaker Dick Carruthers once again turned to his editor of choice, Henry Stein, to help bring the film to life. The pair has worked together on a long and illustrious list of music projects, including 2003’s Led Zeppelin DVD – the biggest selling music DVD of all time – with Henry Stein using Lightworks exclusively to edit each of these explosive live performances.

Stein explained why Lightworks is the best tool for the job. He said: “With any multi-camera project, you need a solid, stable and fast system, and Lightworks is certainly that. I particularly enjoy using Lightworks’ sync group function for multi-camera live footage, which in the case of the Led Zeppelin concert was a real mix of files – including Super 8. Lightworks allows you to run these extra files essentially as another camera, something other NLEs struggle with. Above everything else, Lightworks just lets you get on with the job of editing.”

Fans awaiting footage from the tribute concert held for the band’s dear friend and Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun have had to wait five long years. But, as is often the case with Led Zeppelin, they tackle projects when they feel the time is right, hence the 27-year wait for a live performance, and the production of this film was no different.

“The picture edit was originally started and almost finished in 2011 and was subsequently put on hold for a year at the band’s request. The original footage was then archived and put into storage, but when the time came to finish the film a year later, after un-archiving and restarting the edit we found the seven year-old Lightworks Alacrity’s hard drive was dead,” said Stein.

“The beauty of Lightworks was that we just hooked up the new computer with the latest software and everything worked seamlessly straight away. All in all we lost just a couple of hours of editing time as opposed to facing a major headache.”

The latest version of Lightworks for Windows is available to download for free at www.lwks.com.

2054-0-0-0_2383905.jpg

http://www.screenafr...rt#.UIjanWg2L_c

But, Plant points out, the music still holds its power because it has not been overused: it doesn't represent anything but itself. "Because we haven't gone out and flogged it, there's an anticipation and a memory of it being clean and pure and not part of some sort of threshing middle-aged circus, which I think is very much to our credit. If we'd been part of the merry-go-round year after year, or every two years, I think it might have damaged everything."

:thumbsup: Absolutely!! :thumbsup:

"It's the music," Page says. "My life has been about that, not just trying to create a stir over something else that's irrelevant to the music. I'll tell you something: in all those books you won't get any more understanding about the music than you will by actually listening to it. It's not about some bit of insanity over here, it's about that music that's recorded across those albums."

http://www.guardian....-knew-were-good

:D YES!!! :DHas everyone taken note of this??

Led Zeppelin Concert Doc Banks $2 Million in One Day, Will Go Where Fans Want It Most

October 26 2012, 5:07 PM ET

by Kyle McGovern

spin.com

There's a whole lotta love for Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day, the documentary that captured the classic rockers' 2007 performance at London's O2 Arena. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the concert film's opening night was so successful — grossing $2 million across 1,500 screens in 40 countries in October — its theatrical run has been extended to the places where fans want to see it most.

Thanks to online marketing platform Distrify, Led Heads around the world can request more screenings at their local theater by punching in their zip code. Variety reports that Distrify has been receiving 100,000 hits a day from eager fans, including 46,000 searches per day for showtimes and 4,000 demands per day for additional screenings. The top countries searching the flick are the U.S., the U.K., Japan, Brazil, Canada, Italy, Germany, France, Mexico, and Australia.

"On top of this excellent opening, what we are now seeing is film fans worldwide demanding repeat screenings," said Grant Calton, CEO of Omniverse, which distributes Celebration Day. He added, "Being able to target audiences is a key part of any film's release plan, but being able to track where there is demand gives the distributor and cinema operators the chance to react more actively to consumer demand in a way that hasn't been possible before."

The two-hour concert at the heart of Celebration Day was a tribute to late Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. It reunited founding Led Zeppelin members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones for the band's first headlining gig in 27 years. Jason Bonham, son of John Bonham, joined on drums. Classics "Kashmir" and "Stairway to Heaven" were standouts on the 16-song set list.

Lead singer Plant has been combative in response to questions about further reunion plans, but the band are scheduled to perform at the 2012 Kennedy Center Honors on December 2, where they will also be honored. The event will be broadcast on CBS on December 26 at 9 p.m. EST.

Celebration Day comes to DVD on November 19. Till then, check out Led Zeppelin's performance of "Black Dog" below.

http://www.spin.com/...more-screenings

Led Zeppelin Concert Doc Banks $2 Million in One Day, Will Go Where Fans Want It Most

October 26 2012, 5:07 PM ET

by Kyle McGovern

spin.com

Lead singer Plant has been combative in response to questions about further reunion plans, but the band are scheduled to perform at the 2012 Kennedy Center Honors on December 2, where they will also be honored. The event will be broadcast on CBS on December 26 at 9 p.m. EST.

Say what?!? :o

Say what?!? :o

Ignorant journalist moment

This thread http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/18318-led-zeppelin-to-receive-kennedy-center-honor/ seems to explains it.

As I read it, Jimmy, Robert and JPJ sit in the box with the President and watch other performers - as yet unannounced - play tribute versions of their songs.

• 3 weeks later...

Jimmy Page will appear on Later Live With Jools Holland (on BBC 2 in the UK) next Tuesday to discuss the Celebration Day release:

b01nzh29.jpg?nodefault=true

Series 41 Episode 8 of 16

Duration: 30 minutes

Joining Jools is Ellie Goulding, who since her debut on the show back in October 2009 has gone on to success on both sides of the Atlantic. She performs tracks from her recent Halcyon album. Also returning are Seattle's Band of Horses, with tunes from their Mirage Rock set.

Coming to chat is Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, who fills Jools in on the new concert film of their reunion in 2007. From Detroit, Rodriguez, who after releasing a couple of albums in the early 1970s, disappeared presumed dead until a few fans sought him out, leading to a revival of his career and an acclaimed film Searching For Sugar Man about his return.

Bass legend from Sly & The Family Stone and his own Graham Central Station, Larry Graham, is also in the room with tunes from his Raise Up album. Making a return with a couple of tracks from their upcoming third album are Oxford's Foals and completing the line-up is Portuguese-born Luisa Sobral - a jazz-influenced singer-songwriter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01nzh29

• Administrators

Legend Zeppelin

Five years on, rock icons' historic reunion is finally released on film and CD. It's been a long lonely, lonely time

SNF15WKNDLED--_1620978a.jpg

'Stairway to purgatory' ... the Led Zeppelin reunion

By SIMON COSYNS

IN early December, 2007, tensions were running high in the Led Zeppelin camp.

The “hammer of the gods” band were preparing for their momentous reunion gig at London’s O2 Arena.

Could Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham’s son Jason satisfy obsessive fans and unconvinced critics?

I vividly remember speaking to singer Plant during the intense build-up and discovering he’d kept his sense of humour in the face of enormous pressure.

“Stairway to purgatory,” he hooted, referring to one unkind headline predicting a giant flop.

On a more serious note, Plant said his chief concern was to “maintain the dignity of the group”.

The three original members couldn’t replicate the wild energy of their younger selves but he was sure they could make up for it with style, musicianship and soul.

“Whatever it was that people loved must not be spoilt now,” decided Plant. “Led Zeppelin were bold, brave, chaotic and honest.

“You’ve got to have the soul to know it doesn’t matter what people say — so long as it’s good for you to do it.”

Led_Zeppelin_1621039a.jpg

Whole Lotta Love ... Led Zep at Celebration Day launch

As it turned out, it was good for Plant, good for Led Zeppelin and good for those lucky enough to be present.

It wasn’t always that way in the wake of the band’s break-up following the untimely death of drummer John “Bonzo” Bonham.

Their first comeback performance, at Bob Geldof’s American version of Live Aid in 1985, was once described by Plant as a “f***ing atrocity”.

He had just one word for another at Atlantic Records’ 40th birthday in 1988. “Foul.”

But December 10, 2007, is rightly remembered as Celebration Day, the day Led Zeppelin proved once and for all they are the hard rock band by which all others must be judged.

That night, they were rekindling the fire for the man who believed in them from the start and who had just died — visionary Turkish-American founder of Atlantic Records, Ahmet Ertegun.

Next week, the world will finally get to see and hear the performance that overwhelmed the 20,000 people inside The O2.

Each one of a mind-boggling array of formats released by Atlantic and Zep imprint Swansong delivers an impeccable recording of the 16-song set.

Led_Zeppelin__1621041a.jpg

Frontman ... Robert Plant

Most versions include Dick Carruthers’ captivating film of the show, while some also feature fascinating rehearsal footage shot at Shepperton Studios four days earlier.

Celebration Day has special resonance because it is also the title of the third track on Led Zeppelin’s third album, and though it wasn’t played, it bears these memorable lines: “We are gonna sing and dance in celebration. We are in the promised land.”

Everybody who attended the gig (and I was blessed to be one of them) believed they’d been transported to rock ’n’ roll’s promised land.

SNF16WKND02A_1621034a.jpg

Historic ... reunion tracklist

For one night only, the gods descended the stairway from heaven.

In his liner notes, Plant recalls the start of the show from his point of view: “Four men stood in the dark behind a huge blacked-out projection screen. It was a big ‘ask’. House lights down. No place to hide.” Page puts it this way: “There was a lot to live up to, but the preparation and passion was undeniable. We were ready!”

And Jones: “The energy and the chemistry were absolutely still there. The show itself felt like the first night of a tour.”

What struck me then and now through hearing and seeing the show again is how well-judged it all was.

The set was steeped in Zep’s blues heritage with In My Time Of Dying, Dazed And Confused and Since I’ve Been Loving You, summoning the ghosts of great Delta bluesmen like Robert Johnson and John Lee Hooker.

It felt as if this older, wiser Led Zeppelin found these particular songs as comfortable as old slippers and probably explains why they eschewed the histrionics of Immigrant Song or the speed metal assault of Achilles Last Stand.

Even during obligatory performances of the crazed Rock And Roll and barking Black Dog, Plant didn’t attempt the highest notes, allowing Page’s stellar guitar work to take centre stage.

There was real grace about the way Plant sang and moved, flashing the occasional grin at Page, soaking up this rare and precious moment in his life.

It was a joy to behold Page passing effortlessly through the gears to guitar nirvana, producing trademark gurns as he launched into his next solo on bottleneck or 12-string.

SNF15LED4--_1620977a.jpg

Long time coming ... Celebration Day artwork

His superb handling of the complex, thrilling No Quarter from Houses Of The Holy demonstrated the supreme effort put into this show.

Throughout, John Paul Jones, creative bassist and keyboard whizz, clicked perfectly in the engine room with Jason Bonham, whose precision power drumming would have made his dad feel very proud.

Page said recently: “Jason was absolutely monumental in his performance and playing. From the first rehearsal through to The O2, he was incredible.

“His spirit, his enthusiasm and his knowledge of what made Zeppelin tick musically was something else. Nobody else could have done it.”

Zep were always masters of loud/quiet and I’ll never forget the opening, delicate notes of Stairway To Heaven, a song which encompasses the light and dark, the subtlety and grandeur of their music.

Those notes brought a ripple then a roar of recognition. I said at the time that it wasn’t the most special performance of the night but was VERY special because here was one of rock’s most important bands playing their best-known song to a live audience again.

As the song drew to a close, Plant announced: “Ahmet, we did it!” It was a touching salute to the man he once described as “a friend and sidekick, another member of the Zeppelin entourage.”

For me, however, the highlight of the evening was a towering rendition of the epic Eastern-flavoured Kashmir which found all four players at the top of their game.

Led_Zeppelin_1621040a.jpg

Legendary ... Jimmy Page, left, and John Paul Jones in 1977

That paved the way for a grandstand finish with the supercharged pairing of Whole Lotta Love, complete with rock’s definitive riff, and Rock And Roll and its fitting chorus.

Since their last decent performance, it certainly had “been a long time, been a long time, been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time” without them.

At a recent gathering to promote Celebration Day, Plant described the scene as they came off stage, thunderous applause still ringing in their ears. “I think we just hugged each other and said, ‘Wow! What did that take?’ It was amazing.”

Page added: “There was a massive party afterwards. A lot of celebrities and stuff. They must have had a great time while we just sort of disappeared into the ether.”

If the great Led Zeppelin have disappeared for ever and this show is the last we’ll hear from them, I advise you to watch and listen... and smile.

In fact, another lyric from the song Celebration Day has just popped into my head. “My, my, my, I’m so happy, I’m gonna join the band.” (On air guitar obviously.)

RATING: FIVE OUT OF FIVE

Jason Bonham... on taking his dad's place on the drum stool

SNF15LED2---_1621038a.jpg

'Hero' ... Jason Bonham

AFTER Led Zep’s O2 triumph, Jimmy Page paid a special tribute.

The guitar legend said: “I look back on that night with a great amount of fondness but Jason Bonham was the hero. For me that gig was about him.”

Here Bonham, 46, tells SIMON COPELAND what it was like stepping into his father’s shoes.

I COULDN’T believe I’d got the gig. When we started rehearsing, I was awestruck. I kept saying to Robert, Jimmy and John Paul: “Do you know how great you guys are?”

They said: “When did you become such a fan?” That’s because as a kid I didn’t realise how brilliant Led Zeppelin were. I took them for granted. But they are the ultimate drummer’s band.

We were determined to get the O2 show right. The band had reformed before but were never happy with the performances.

I played at the Atlantic one and I wasn’t ready for the job then. I thought the world owed me a living. I was very arrogant.

I knew the O2 show was important. Robert, Jimmy, John Paul and Dad worked so well together and created a real magic. I didn’t want to let that down.

When we were rehearsing, I kept saying to the guys, “Oh, you’re doing that song like you did on the ’71 tour or the ’73 tour.” Jimmy and Robert would reply: “You have way too much knowledge about us.”

I felt my job was to keep it like the albums. It was different to the old Led Zep, we concentrated more on the songs rather than jamming.

In the old days, a song would go off into 20-minute solos going in different directions but we decided against all that.

People thought that when we had to delay the concert because Jimmy fractured his finger that it was a ruse because we needed more rehearsal time. In fact, it cost us rehearsal time. We’d only been going a week and we had to write off ten days. Pretty much everything we all wanted to play made it to the final set list. Obviously there were some things we HAD to do. But there was nothing we tried to rehearse that didn’t work and we had to drop.

We changed the order several times and I think what we ended up with was completely right.

I don’t think Ramble On, For Your Life or Good Times Bad Times had ever been played in full live before, maybe snatches but not the complete songs.

Good Times Bad Times was amazing as the opener. I also sang on it so I couldn’t get nervous – I had too much to think about!

bonham_28_620x413_1621044a.jpg

Dad ... original drummer John Bonham

For Your Life (from 1976 album Presence) was seen as a bit of a leftfield choice but Robert really loves it, so we did it. I think Celebration Day captures the intimacy on stage. A lot of other bands have huge walkways to run down and blow-up props and things but we didn’t have any of that stuff. The band are all positioned around the drum kit, we’re listening intently to each other play.

In fact as we watched the film at the premiere, Robert said to me: “I can’t believe how tight it was.”

There’s a real urgency and passion about our performance, because it was both a first night and a last night – we knew it had to be special.

And it went as smooth as hell. There were a few bum notes but not that many. You can see in the film, the odd smiles and nods of the head. That’s us saying: “I think we got away with that one.”

But sitting on that throne with a view of 20,000 people going crazy – that was just amazing.

When we came off stage, Jimmy rubbed my head affectionately. They were like three proud parents.

It was a relief, too, because the build-up to the show had been a bit of a downer. The internet was not my friend. There were a lot of people out there who were saying that Dave Grohl (of Nirvana) should be playing drums not me.

But luckily it was a different story afterward. Nerves didn’t get the better of me and I think I did a job Dad would be proud of.

My mum had said to me to be careful about getting involved in the reunion. She knew I would want to do more shows and that I would find it difficult to accept it was just one night.

Am I sorry it hasn’t continued? Yes, it would have been great but, well, Robert has his reasons.

But even then you never know – they all really enjoyed it. And I’m always the last person to know what’s going on because I have a big mouth – I end up blabbing!

In fact they never tell me anything. I didn’t even know the DVD was coming out until last week and I haven’t even got a copy yet. I’m still “the kid” to them!

It is tough to walk away from Led Zeppelin. But it is good to be part of the legacy. If we never do anything else, it’s a great feeling to have been part of it.

http://www.thesun.co...-year-wait.html

• Administrators

John Paul Jones Dispels Myth About Led Zeppelin's 'Black Dog'

Post by: Gleeso's Rock News

16 November, 2012 -

There is a myth surrounding "Black Dog" that when they first wrote it they did all those funny time signatures so nobody would be able to cover it.

Triple M's Lee Simon, the lucky bugger, got to go over to London to interview Led Zeppelin. And he asked the guy who wrote it, John Paul Jones, if it was true.

"Yeah, that's a myth," he laughed. "[but] Basically, that's kind of the way I think sometimes [with] those riffs.

"I actually wrote it in rehearsal from Jimmy's house on the train. My dad was a musician and he showed me a way of writing down notation on anything. And so I wrote the riff to Black Dog on the back of a train ticket which I unfortunately don't have."

Lee Simon's Led Zeppelin Special

Listen At The Following Times:

- Triple M Melbourne 105.1 FM - Saturday 17 Nov Midday

- Triple M Sydney 104.9 FM - Sunday 18 Nov 4pm

- Triple M Brisbane 104.5 FM - Saturday 17 Nov 6pm

- Triple M Adelaide 104.7 FM - Saturday 17 Nov 6pm & Sunday 4pm

http://www.triplem.c...21116-hkq6.html

Legend Zeppelin

Five years on, rock icons' historic reunion is finally released on film and CD. It's been a long lonely, lonely time

SNF15WKNDLED--_1620978a.jpg

'Stairway to purgatory' ... the Led Zeppelin reunion

By SIMON COSYNS

IN early December, 2007, tensions were running high in the Led Zeppelin camp.

The “hammer of the gods” band were preparing for their momentous reunion gig at London’s O2 Arena.

Could Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham’s son Jason satisfy obsessive fans and unconvinced critics?

I vividly remember speaking to singer Plant during the intense build-up and discovering he’d kept his sense of humour in the face of enormous pressure.

“Stairway to purgatory,” he hooted, referring to one unkind headline predicting a giant flop.

On a more serious note, Plant said his chief concern was to “maintain the dignity of the group”.

The three original members couldn’t replicate the wild energy of their younger selves but he was sure they could make up for it with style, musicianship and soul.

“Whatever it was that people loved must not be spoilt now,” decided Plant. “Led Zeppelin were bold, brave, chaotic and honest.

“You’ve got to have the soul to know it doesn’t matter what people say — so long as it’s good for you to do it.”

Led_Zeppelin_1621039a.jpg

Whole Lotta Love ... Led Zep at Celebration Day launch

As it turned out, it was good for Plant, good for Led Zeppelin and good for those lucky enough to be present.

It wasn’t always that way in the wake of the band’s break-up following the untimely death of drummer John “Bonzo” Bonham.

Their first comeback performance, at Bob Geldof’s American version of Live Aid in 1985, was once described by Plant as a “f***ing atrocity”.

He had just one word for another at Atlantic Records’ 40th birthday in 1988. “Foul.”

But December 10, 2007, is rightly remembered as Celebration Day, the day Led Zeppelin proved once and for all they are the hard rock band by which all others must be judged.

That night, they were rekindling the fire for the man who believed in them from the start and who had just died — visionary Turkish-American founder of Atlantic Records, Ahmet Ertegun.

Next week, the world will finally get to see and hear the performance that overwhelmed the 20,000 people inside The O2.

Each one of a mind-boggling array of formats released by Atlantic and Zep imprint Swansong delivers an impeccable recording of the 16-song set.

Led_Zeppelin__1621041a.jpg

Frontman ... Robert Plant

Most versions include Dick Carruthers’ captivating film of the show, while some also feature fascinating rehearsal footage shot at Shepperton Studios four days earlier.

Celebration Day has special resonance because it is also the title of the third track on Led Zeppelin’s third album, and though it wasn’t played, it bears these memorable lines: “We are gonna sing and dance in celebration. We are in the promised land.”

Everybody who attended the gig (and I was blessed to be one of them) believed they’d been transported to rock ’n’ roll’s promised land.

SNF16WKND02A_1621034a.jpg

Historic ... reunion tracklist

For one night only, the gods descended the stairway from heaven.

In his liner notes, Plant recalls the start of the show from his point of view: “Four men stood in the dark behind a huge blacked-out projection screen. It was a big ‘ask’. House lights down. No place to hide.” Page puts it this way: “There was a lot to live up to, but the preparation and passion was undeniable. We were ready!”

And Jones: “The energy and the chemistry were absolutely still there. The show itself felt like the first night of a tour.”

What struck me then and now through hearing and seeing the show again is how well-judged it all was.

The set was steeped in Zep’s blues heritage with In My Time Of Dying, Dazed And Confused and Since I’ve Been Loving You, summoning the ghosts of great Delta bluesmen like Robert Johnson and John Lee Hooker.

It felt as if this older, wiser Led Zeppelin found these particular songs as comfortable as old slippers and probably explains why they eschewed the histrionics of Immigrant Song or the speed metal assault of Achilles Last Stand.

Even during obligatory performances of the crazed Rock And Roll and barking Black Dog, Plant didn’t attempt the highest notes, allowing Page’s stellar guitar work to take centre stage.

There was real grace about the way Plant sang and moved, flashing the occasional grin at Page, soaking up this rare and precious moment in his life.

It was a joy to behold Page passing effortlessly through the gears to guitar nirvana, producing trademark gurns as he launched into his next solo on bottleneck or 12-string.

SNF15LED4--_1620977a.jpg

Long time coming ... Celebration Day artwork

His superb handling of the complex, thrilling No Quarter from Houses Of The Holy demonstrated the supreme effort put into this show.

Throughout, John Paul Jones, creative bassist and keyboard whizz, clicked perfectly in the engine room with Jason Bonham, whose precision power drumming would have made his dad feel very proud.

Page said recently: “Jason was absolutely monumental in his performance and playing. From the first rehearsal through to The O2, he was incredible.

“His spirit, his enthusiasm and his knowledge of what made Zeppelin tick musically was something else. Nobody else could have done it.”

Zep were always masters of loud/quiet and I’ll never forget the opening, delicate notes of Stairway To Heaven, a song which encompasses the light and dark, the subtlety and grandeur of their music.

Those notes brought a ripple then a roar of recognition. I said at the time that it wasn’t the most special performance of the night but was VERY special because here was one of rock’s most important bands playing their best-known song to a live audience again.

As the song drew to a close, Plant announced: “Ahmet, we did it!” It was a touching salute to the man he once described as “a friend and sidekick, another member of the Zeppelin entourage.”

For me, however, the highlight of the evening was a towering rendition of the epic Eastern-flavoured Kashmir which found all four players at the top of their game.

Led_Zeppelin_1621040a.jpg

Legendary ... Jimmy Page, left, and John Paul Jones in 1977

That paved the way for a grandstand finish with the supercharged pairing of Whole Lotta Love, complete with rock’s definitive riff, and Rock And Roll and its fitting chorus.

Since their last decent performance, it certainly had “been a long time, been a long time, been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time” without them.

At a recent gathering to promote Celebration Day, Plant described the scene as they came off stage, thunderous applause still ringing in their ears. “I think we just hugged each other and said, ‘Wow! What did that take?’ It was amazing.”

Page added: “There was a massive party afterwards. A lot of celebrities and stuff. They must have had a great time while we just sort of disappeared into the ether.”

If the great Led Zeppelin have disappeared for ever and this show is the last we’ll hear from them, I advise you to watch and listen... and smile.

In fact, another lyric from the song Celebration Day has just popped into my head. “My, my, my, I’m so happy, I’m gonna join the band.” (On air guitar obviously.)

RATING: FIVE OUT OF FIVE

Jason Bonham... on taking his dad's place on the drum stool

SNF15LED2---_1621038a.jpg

'Hero' ... Jason Bonham

AFTER Led Zep’s O2 triumph, Jimmy Page paid a special tribute.

The guitar legend said: “I look back on that night with a great amount of fondness but Jason Bonham was the hero. For me that gig was about him.”

Here Bonham, 46, tells SIMON COPELAND what it was like stepping into his father’s shoes.

I COULDN’T believe I’d got the gig. When we started rehearsing, I was awestruck. I kept saying to Robert, Jimmy and John Paul: “Do you know how great you guys are?”

They said: “When did you become such a fan?” That’s because as a kid I didn’t realise how brilliant Led Zeppelin were. I took them for granted. But they are the ultimate drummer’s band.

We were determined to get the O2 show right. The band had reformed before but were never happy with the performances.

I played at the Atlantic one and I wasn’t ready for the job then. I thought the world owed me a living. I was very arrogant.

I knew the O2 show was important. Robert, Jimmy, John Paul and Dad worked so well together and created a real magic. I didn’t want to let that down.

When we were rehearsing, I kept saying to the guys, “Oh, you’re doing that song like you did on the ’71 tour or the ’73 tour.” Jimmy and Robert would reply: “You have way too much knowledge about us.”

I felt my job was to keep it like the albums. It was different to the old Led Zep, we concentrated more on the songs rather than jamming.

In the old days, a song would go off into 20-minute solos going in different directions but we decided against all that.

People thought that when we had to delay the concert because Jimmy fractured his finger that it was a ruse because we needed more rehearsal time. In fact, it cost us rehearsal time. We’d only been going a week and we had to write off ten days. Pretty much everything we all wanted to play made it to the final set list. Obviously there were some things we HAD to do. But there was nothing we tried to rehearse that didn’t work and we had to drop.

We changed the order several times and I think what we ended up with was completely right.

I don’t think Ramble On, For Your Life or Good Times Bad Times had ever been played in full live before, maybe snatches but not the complete songs.

Good Times Bad Times was amazing as the opener. I also sang on it so I couldn’t get nervous – I had too much to think about!

bonham_28_620x413_1621044a.jpg

Dad ... original drummer John Bonham

For Your Life (from 1976 album Presence) was seen as a bit of a leftfield choice but Robert really loves it, so we did it. I think Celebration Day captures the intimacy on stage. A lot of other bands have huge walkways to run down and blow-up props and things but we didn’t have any of that stuff. The band are all positioned around the drum kit, we’re listening intently to each other play.

In fact as we watched the film at the premiere, Robert said to me: “I can’t believe how tight it was.”

There’s a real urgency and passion about our performance, because it was both a first night and a last night – we knew it had to be special.

And it went as smooth as hell. There were a few bum notes but not that many. You can see in the film, the odd smiles and nods of the head. That’s us saying: “I think we got away with that one.”

But sitting on that throne with a view of 20,000 people going crazy – that was just amazing.

When we came off stage, Jimmy rubbed my head affectionately. They were like three proud parents.

It was a relief, too, because the build-up to the show had been a bit of a downer. The internet was not my friend. There were a lot of people out there who were saying that Dave Grohl (of Nirvana) should be playing drums not me.

But luckily it was a different story afterward. Nerves didn’t get the better of me and I think I did a job Dad would be proud of.

My mum had said to me to be careful about getting involved in the reunion. She knew I would want to do more shows and that I would find it difficult to accept it was just one night.

Am I sorry it hasn’t continued? Yes, it would have been great but, well, Robert has his reasons.

But even then you never know – they all really enjoyed it. And I’m always the last person to know what’s going on because I have a big mouth – I end up blabbing!

In fact they never tell me anything. I didn’t even know the DVD was coming out until last week and I haven’t even got a copy yet. I’m still “the kid” to them!

It is tough to walk away from Led Zeppelin. But it is good to be part of the legacy. If we never do anything else, it’s a great feeling to have been part of it.

http://www.thesun.co...-year-wait.html

NICE!!!!

• Administrators

Album review: Led Zeppelin, 'Celebration Day'

Aidin Vaziri | Sunday, November 18, 2012

628x471.jpg

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 12: (L-R) Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones attend the UK Premiere of 'Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day'>> at Hammersmith Apollo on October 12, 2012 in London, England. (Photo by Ben Pruchnie/Getty Images) Photo: Ben Pruchnie, Getty Images / SF

The surviving members of Led Zeppelin may never share the stage again - at least not with instruments in hand - but this concert movie from 2007 and its accompanying two-disc soundtrack is a splendid way to go out. Recorded at London's O2 Arena as part of a one-off tribute concert to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, "Celebration Day" captures Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones (above, left to right), with the late John Bonham's son Jason filling in on drums, firing on all cylinders, tapping into the vintage stomp and menace of the band's glory years with an unimpeachable set list. The passing of time has made the group sound leaner and more efficient, giving well-worn classics such as "Black Dog" and "Kashmir" new life.

LED ZEPPELIN

CELEBRATION DAY

ATLANTIC

$29.99

http://www.sfgate.co...Day-4041113.php

• Administrators

Montreal Gazette

New music review: Celebration Day, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)

November 18, 2012.

Celebration Day, a document of Led Zeppelin’s one-off reunion concert at London’s 02 Arena Dec. 10, 2007, is no substitute for the original recordings. That’s a given. As shown here, the 59-year-old Robert Plant was unable to compete with his 22-year-old self when the time came to hit the high, siren-like notes of Black Dog. And Jimmy Page’s roller-coaster guitar extravaganzas had settled into reliable, albeit masterful, technique.

But hey, you have the albums, so enjoy this aptly-titled milestone for the warm burst of affection that accompanied a wonderfully-performed journey through the iconic band’s formidable back pages.

The odd struggle aside, Plant’s still-sturdy pipes get stronger as the set progresses. By the time he hits Kashmir near the end, he is attacking many of the vocal hurdles full-on. Page is a force of nature as he dominates a gloriously ragged In My Time of Dyin’ and navigates the choppy waters of The Song Remains the Same. John Paul Jones, when not anchoring everything on bass, slides behind the keyboard, where he can get hazily introspective (No Quarter) or exciteably funky (Trampled Under Foot).

The biggest revelation is the late drummer John Bonham’s son, Jason, who nails both the tricky fills and the sheer muscle power required to play his dad’s deathless parts. His shining moments are Nobody’s Fault But Mine and Misty Mountain Hop.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about the set is the band’s musical ambition. Where many of Led Zeppelin`s contemporaries augment their line-up with ringers to reproduce the sound of their beloved recordings, Zep remains four guys who create that explosive and beautiful noise without assistance.

Your best bet is to make sure you get the package that also includes the DVD or Blu-Ray of the concert film. The camaraderie is something to see – whether it’s Plant and Page, side by side like two old warriors during In My Time of Dyin’, Jones grinning with obvious satisfaction at Page during Nobody’s Fault But Mine or a beaming Page rubbing Bonham’s head when the group takes a bow.

Led Zep’s two-hour set was the main event of a tribute to the late Atlantic Records president Ahmet Ertegun. He would have been proud of the band he discovered. And after this superb return to the stage together, they have to have been proud of themselves.

Rating: ****

Podworthy: Misty Mountain Hop

Celebration Day, available as a double CD, in a CD/DVD combination or as a CD/ Blu-Ray package (no special features) will be available Nov. 20.

-Bernard Perusse

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day – review

(Swan Song/Atlantic)

4 STARS

• Phil Mongredien
  • The Observer, Sunday 18 November 2012

led_zeppelin_live_at_o2.jpg

It took the death of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun for the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin, plus John Bonham's son, Jason, to reconvene for a one-off tribute show at London's O2 in 2007. Five years on, there's finally a chance for the 20 million people who couldn't get tickets to hear – across multiple formats – what they missed: consummate renditions of their best-known songs, including an inspired In My Time of Dying, plus a first ever live outing for For Your Life. And, thankfully, no drum solos. It might lack some of the energy of their youth (best captured on the How the West Was Won live set, recorded in 1972 and released in 2003), but this is still a mightily impressive monument.

http://www.guardian....tion-day-review

• Administrators

DVD review: Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day

By Graham Reid

Saturday Nov 17, 2012

SCCZEN_AP120914023427_460x230.jpg

Led Zep originals John Paul Jones (left), Robert Plant and Jimmy Page celebrate their career. Photo / Supplied

When the surviving members of Led Zeppelin - singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist/keyboard player John Paul Jones - gathered in London recently there were two items on the agenda.

The first was the launch of Celebration Day - the DVD/Blu-ray/double CD of their December 2007 reunion concert - but the second was that question which dogged the solo Beatles for a decade: would they get back together again?

Plant was largely dismissive of the idea as he has reframed his career with the Raising Sand album (with Alison Krauss), his Band of Joy and now the Sensational Space Shifters, who have just completed a South American tour. Jones said he seriously doubted it and Page reminded everyone that the Celebration Day concert was five years ago. So, "if it was going to happen it would have happened by now".

Even drummer Jason Bonham, who sat in for his late father John, accepted this had probably been a one-off.

And think about it. All are in their mid-60s, with Page perilously close to 70. So the short answer is "no" with that "never say never" coda added.

Which means Celebration Day might just be the full-stop on a remarkable career that broke records for ticket and album sales, stamped dozens of songs into the collective consciousness of generations and still sees their name on teenagers' T-shirts.

As a concert film, Celebration Day is extraordinary. Director Dick Carruthers gets the cameras right into the sweat zone and the rapid editing - like a Bourne movie - keeps the excitement edgy and palpable. If the sound seems a little underwhelming in the first couple of songs - the opener Good Times Bad Times, which starts with "in the days of my youth" and the lesser Ramble On - everything settles and Led Zeppelin reveal again they were a force of nature, like rolling thunder cut across with flashing lightning, a ground-shaking noisequake during which buildings fall as electricity whip-cracks across the sky.

Celebration Day - the deluxe edition DVD/Blu-ray with an extra disc of rehearsals - is big stuff and Bonham the Younger such a formidable powerhouse - especially in the thrilling enormity of the kerthumping Kashmir, and Whole Lotta Love, where Page plays theremin - that his father is hardly missed.

And, like a garage band, they huddle close on the large stage as a tight focal point in which Jones watches Page and Plant with such concentration you'd think he was auditioning and terrified of making a mistake. His nervous intensity adds tension behind Plant's still-cocky swagger and Page's mercurial magic, which pulls from old blues and a nuclear explosion with equal assurance. When he stands inside a pyramid of lasers and pulls out a violin bow to attack his guitar, it is pure theatre.

There's also an infectiously good spirit with laughter, a few fluffed lines and missed cues - but then again, too few to mention - and Plant conceding some songs you just have to do. And they do.

Most of their signature songs are in the 90-minute set, but those two openers (and For Your Life, the coke song on their 1976 album, Presence) were never played in their entirety when they strode across the planet four decades ago like behemoth rock gods, which might explain the hesitancy.

Does this translate to CD however? Surprisingly yes, although if Led Zeppelin meant nothing to you, if you despise them for the excesses they came to stand for in the pantheon of rock, or if you just thought their music sometimes sounded like an explosion in a guitar factory (it does, but that's actually a good thing) then Celebration Day in any format won't give you reason to change your opinion, or celebrate.

But if you believe rock is about taking risks, then this - for men of their age, the weight of expectation and the possibility of it going haywire after all those years away - was risky business.

It was also loud, freewheeling, shamelessly excessive and cleverly calculated.

The question is not, therefore, "will they do this again?" but "could they?"

Celebration Day - whatever you make of it - teasingly offers both answers.

* Celebration Day in a number of CD/DVD and Blu-ray formats is available now. A three-record set will be released on December 7.

-TimeOut

By Graham Reid

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10847891

Deutschlandfunk_modern_logo.png

Deutschlandfunk radio has made available new John Paul Jones content. In an interview, he briefly discusses topics like Jason Bonham, Myles Kennedy and post-Led Zeppelin projects. "I'm very proud of us... A really great band. And it's very satisfying that we're still popular", he said. Text, and a stream of the audio (in German, dated November 17) was posted on this address: http://www.dradio.de.../corso/1924795/

classic21.jpg

Some may remember Classic 21, a member of Belgium's RTBF network, as the first media outlet to report on Celebration Day's release, back in September. This Sunday, November 18, its program Les Classiques discussed Led Zeppelin, complete with commentary from Dick Carruthers, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. The show is hosted by Mr. Marc Ysaye and can be streamed here: http://www.rtbf.be/r...ayer?id=1776818 the Zeppelin content starting after the first hour of program.

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin

Celebration Day

by Michael Brown - November 19th, 2012

There has never been a live recording quite so eagerly anticipated as this one. Five years have passed since the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin – plus Jason Bonham, son of John – reformed for a solitary performance at London’s O2 Arena, and until now, die-hard Zep heads have had to make do with a wealth of covertly recorded but ultimately unsatisfying bootlegs. Of course, it’s no wonder fans have been clamouring for audio (and audio-visual) records: this is the most in-demand concert of all time, with 20 million people applying for 18,000 tickets.

Absurdly, I was at the gig. I wasn’t a member of the press or the offspring of a celebrity – I won the ticket lottery, and that was after deciding against entering until the evening before it closed. By the time my chance to purchase the £137.50 (including booking fees) golden tickets had arisen, there were only seats available in the proverbial gods – or the Houses of the Holy, as was the joke at the time.

An atmosphere of excitement and nervousness enveloped the arena as everyone wondered whether these rock dinosaurs could live up to the gargantuan live shows of their Seventies heyday. The building was swarming with Americans, and as my friend and I took our seats, we were quizzed by a woman from the East Coast: 'You guys look pretty young; how do you know Led Zeppelin?' It seemed an absurd question at the time, but we explained that learning licks from Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones was a rite of passage for any 17-year-old guitarist and bassist, so crucial was their contribution to the development of hard rock.

It’s that enduring legacy that the band both risked and defended on 10 December 2007, with some members (Page) more eager to perform than others (Robert Plant). Ultimately, however, the unwilling lamented, partly to erase the memory of some dodgy Eighties get-togethers, but primarily to pay tribute to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, the man who gave Led Zeppelin the outlet for their genre-defining brand of blues-rock in the first place. And it’s a damn good thing, too – the evening’s performance was the stuff of wonder, with what seemed like a tour’s worth of rehearsal and production crammed into one two-hour powerhouse performance.

So, can Celebration Day recapture the magic – and it was some kind of rock wizardry – experienced by those who were there? With five years in the making, not to mention master mixer Alan Moulder manning the desk, one would hope it could at least come close. Certainly, the production here is chunky, and perhaps more punishing than Zeppelin in their original gigging era, courtesy of Jason Bonham’s close-mic’d kit and Page and Jones’s down-tuned instruments – an undertaking based on Plant’s matured, but still potent, vocal cords. The well-balanced mix also gives an insight into the performance that couldn’t quite be experienced at the gig itself; like many arena shows, the evening’s sound was messy, despite Page testing numerous PA systems to provide the best audio reproduction possible.

While the setlist was always going to be (mostly) predictable, this is still the crème-de-la-crème of Zeppelin cuts: the opening triple-punch of ‘Good Times Bad Times’, ‘Ramble On’ (both rarely performed in the Seventies) and ‘Black Dog’ flings open the doors to a set that includes material from every Zep album bar In Through The Out Door, and the first (and likely only) live performance of ‘For Your Life’. In particular, ‘Kashmir’ sounds positively colossal here, as Plant’s vocals soar over the band’s pounding rhythm work and temporarily erase the unpleasant memory of the PG-13 version The X Factor wheels out every time a contestant faces elimination. This, ladies and gentleman, is how it should be done: live, raw and uncompromising.

Of course, the gig is prone to the occasional excesses, the likes of which made Led Zeppelin so revered and derided, depending on your position on 15-minute drum solos. Fortunately, Jason Bonham doesn’t unleash his own ‘Moby Dick’, but Page whips out the ol’ violin bow for ‘Dazed And Confused’, while Jones embarks on a progged-out ‘No Quarter’ keyboard quest. But it’s these moments of indulgence that also highlight how adept those band members are at conjuring an atmosphere, not to mention playing their instruments. Some of the performances here stand up to the great live recordings of the Seventies, thanks to Page’s consistently thrilling, endearingly scruffy guitar work and Plant’s surprisingly enthusiastic vocals, which thrive in the lower keys.

There are an overabundance of reunions doing the rounds today, but the fact that Celebration Day showcases a singular spectacular event allows Led Zeppelin’s reputation to remain intact, and protects them from any cash-grabbing allegations – despite the package’s Yuletide-bordering release. And, perhaps most importantly, they’re having fun, too. The songs don’t remain the same: they live and breathe, whether it’s through a stop-start harmonica solo on ‘Nobody’s Fault But Mine’, a funky extended ‘Trampled Under Foot’ jam or the ‘What Is And What Should Never Be’ snippet that closes ‘Ramble On’.

Watch the video footage, and you’ll see cheeky grins shared between the band members – they were enjoying it just as much as their audience, even with the group’s uncertain future. And it’s impossible not to raise a smile yourself at the sight of Plant snaking around with a mic stand in ‘Black Dog’ or Page launching into a blistering ‘Since I’ve Been Loving You’ solo. Whether you were there or not, Celebration Day is a fitting title: it’s an enchanting tribute to the eternal power of rock, no matter the age of the music or the performers themselves.

Led Zeppelin 8 / 10

http://drownedinsoun.../4145760?ticker

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin's 'Celebration Day' Rocks It

I doubt there are too many other Forbes contributors (or staff) who attended the epic Led Zeppelin concert in New York City’s Central Park in the summer of 1969, but I could be wrong and would love to hear from them. Or any readers who might have been in attendance. (see photo here)

I did not actually have a ticket to the concert and our raggedy, long-haired group climbed some trees trying to get a view, which did not work out too well. But given the outdoor venue, there was no problem at all with hearing those guitars, drums and vocals. And we had never heard anything quite like it, especially the Lemon Song (which was not released until Led Zeppelin II, if I have my facts straight).

Led Zeppelin was on its second U.S. swing (although still somewhat in semi-discovery stage), having performed for the first time in the U.S. in December 1968 in Denver, in what ultimateclassicrock.com calls “The Concert That Almost Did Not Happen.” (Their first album was released in January 1969.) For Led Zeppelin fans, it is an interesting piece on their historic U.S. debut, as the band Vanilla Fudge had to plead with the promoter to include Led Zeppelin on the concert bill, which also included Spirit. (Vanilla Fudge ended up paying part of their appearance fee to help make it happen.)

Led Zeppelin did not disappoint the Denver crowd with their debut American performance. After introing the group, (promoter Barry) Fey watched the band deliver a stunning set. To this day, he’s still amazed that Spirit managed to go on after Zeppelin finished their show. He immediately saw the future success that the group would have. “You didn’t have to be a genius to know that Zeppelin was going to be a smash. Oh, my God. People were going crazy!”

Why is all of this coming up right now?

In case you have not heard, Led Zeppelin’s “Celebration Day” CD/DVD package is being released tomorrow. And you will be inundated by Zeppelin homages on your local classic rock stations all week.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle:

The surviving members of Led Zeppelin may never share the stage again – at least not with instruments in hand – but this concert movie from 2007 and its accompanying two-disc soundtrack is a splendid way to go out. Recorded at London’s O2 Arena as part of a one-off tribute concert to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, “Celebration Day” captures Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, with the late John Bonham‘s son Jason filling in on drums, firing on all cylinders, tapping into the vintage stomp and menace of the band’s glory years with an unimpeachable set list. The passing of time has made the group sound leaner and more efficient, giving well-worn classics such as “Black Dog” and “Kashmir” new life.

If you are a Led Zeppelin fan, check out their official “Celebration Day” website here. (Some very cool videos, history and photos. If you look closely at that 1969 concert poster, seat prices were listed at $1.00-$1.50.)

Forbes | David Wismer http://www.forbes.co...n-day-rocks-it/

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin Reunion

Nov. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Five years ago, there were 20,000 of us at London’s O2 for a Led Zeppelin concert billed as “the band reunion of the century.”

Most had won seats in a worldwide lottery on a website that had 25 million hits from those seeking tickets. On Dec. 10, 2007, the opening notes of “Good Times Bad Times” rang out to an ovation filmed by 18 movie cameras.

Now the millions who didn’t manage to get tickets can hear and see the show on CD and DVD/Blu-Ray. After years of delay, the good news is that “Celebration Day” captures the gig in full. The bad news is that it looks increasingly certain that Zeppelin will resist offers for more concerts.

The occasion was a tribute for Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. The Zeps rapidly realized they wanted to play for much longer than the 20 minutes originally suggested.

The result is one of rock’s greatest shows, one of the finest I’ve seen. That includes the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and the Who with its original drummer, Keith Moon, who, like Led Zep’s John Bonham, died at the age of 32.

Zep used Bonham’s son Jason as replacement at the O2, and he did a fine job, locking with bassist John Paul Jones on songs such as “Black Dog.” There were bone-crunching guitar riffs from Jimmy Page, Robert Plant’s still spine-tingling vocals, and there was a sense of celebration that the band was playing its first full show in 27 years.

As a live album, it doesn’t have the youthful energy of “How the West Was Won,” though it has a sense of never-to-be repeated occasion which makes it masterful. Rating: *****.

• Administrators

CELEBRATION DAY

Led Zeppelin

(Atlantic)

4 stars (out of five)

On Dec. 10, 2007, British rock giants Led Zeppelin reunited to perform a one-night-only charity concert at the O2 arena in London in honour of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. Five years later the concert is seeing the light of day in the form of a movie, Blu-ray/DVD and album package that faithfully captures the spirit of the evening. On the album version the first couple of songs (Good Times Bad Times, Ramble On) feel a bit shaky and uneven, but the concert properly takes off with classic Black Dog and things only get better from there. With John Bonham’s son Jason behind the drum kit, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones tear through the essential cuts from their catalogue with nary a miss. “It still feels pretty good up here!” exclaims Plant during In My Time Of Dying, and indeed Celebration Day bears its name well. Every cut — Trampled Under Foot, Dazed And Confused and Kashmir, especially — is gigantic, and what could potentially have been Zeppelin’s final gig is a faithful testament to the immensity of ’70s rock.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Zeppelin+soars+Celebration+reunion+concert/7571732/story.html

Archived