BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Pot Roast tonight for a chilly central Florida evening ahead. Chuck roast, red potatoes, baby carrots, sweet onions, rosemary, fresh garlic in a red wine, beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Slow cooking since 9 this morning. House smells fantastic! Serving with crusty dinner rolls, pinot noir and some green for later…

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Pot Roast tonight for a chilly central Florida evening ahead. Chuck roast, red potatoes, baby carrots, sweet onions, rosemary, fresh garlic in a red wine, beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Slow cooking since 9 this morning. House smells fantastic! Serving with crusty dinner rolls, pinot noir and some green for later…

Fantastic man. An inspiration to us all.

Smell even better after the green? ;)

10 hours ago, Electrophile said:

At the moment, nothing, since I seldom if ever eat dinner (maybe once or twice a month), but earlier for lunch I had roast chicken leftovers from Sunday.

You must be very think. Think Lizzy.  Ha.  Worst than the joke Walter just threw at me.  Sorry.  I have been cooking Risotto very often. I love the stuff.  You cut up a shallot and saute in two tablespoons Butter and Olive Oil, add 1 1,2 Cups of Arborrio rice to do traditionally.  I use Bens brown due to diabetes.   Then you put in about 6 tablespoons Chardaney and simmer and then a cup at a time of chicken broth for Arborio or beef broth for brown rice.  You cook it down until all the broth is gone.  One of those cartons of broth, about a quart.  Then take off heat and mix in .25 lb of Parmesan Reggiano shredded cheese.  You will love it.

ps  a $5 bottle of Chardaney is fine.  Does not have to be top shelf as its for cooking and you simply refrigerate and can get several uses.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

We just finished Thanksgiving lunch (none of us eat dinner, so lunch is our big meal of the day), so right now, nothing. We had the usual suspects; turkey, meat stuffing, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, cranberry sauce, and rolls. The meat stuffing is just regular bread stuffing with added hamburger. It's been in my family for well over 100 years. Instead of a whole turkey, I baked a turkey breast instead. Brussels sprouts were roasted in the oven with pearl onions and bacon. It's just five us at the table, and while that sounds like a lot of food, it really wasn't. Most of the leftover stuffing will get frozen so we can eat it at a later date.

I hope all of you who celebrate Thanksgiving are having a wonderful day today.  😊

On 11/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, chillumpuffer said:

BBQ Pork ribs, wine and Joints this evening . A bowl of Twiglets at the bar with a G&T. Finish the bag off when the inevitable munchies kick in. 

24Lb turkey indeed :D. Gonna be a lot of Butties there my friend and a Vat of Cranberry sauce? @Walter Trimmings?

Here’s how the turkey is going after 3.5 hrs in the oven…

175719D7-0831-404B-9845-BC5344824862.jpeg

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Here’s how the turkey is going after 3.5 hrs in the oven…

175719D7-0831-404B-9845-BC5344824862.jpeg

Lookin good! I had key lime pie (made the real way which is rare here in Cali) with a protein shake for breakfast - just because. Gettin out of town for the weekend, but we're getting a 5 course thanksgiving dinner from a restaurant near the BnB. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

Edited by 1975NQ

Going traditional so bird is currently browning nicely, plus all the usual trimmings. I am playing bartender this year so its Rusty Nails, Smoked Maple Old Fashioned's, and Gin & Tonics.

I miss my old bartending days and would love to do a part-time gig but at 53 years old, fugetaboutit. Unless I can wrestle the job away from Gertrude at the VFW Hall my ass is outta luck. People want to see the young & beautiful, not the old and cranky 😉 

6 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Lookin good! I had key lime pie (made the real way which is rare here in Cali) with a protein shake for breakfast - just because. Gettin out of town for the weekend, but we're getting a 5 course thanksgiving dinner from a restaurant near the BnB. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

3 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Going traditional so bird is currently browning nicely, plus all the usual trimmings. I am playing bartender this year so its Rusty Nails, Smoked Maple Old Fashioned's, and Gin & Tonics.

I miss my old bartending days and would love to do a part-time gig but at 53 years old, fugetaboutit. Unless I can wrestle the job away from Gertrude at the VFW Hall my ass is outta luck. People want to see the young & beautiful, not the old and cranky 😉 

Nice! Happy Thanksgiving! 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

What's the best part of Thanksgiving? LEFTOVERS! Happy belated Thanksgiving Day wishes to all of you Zepheads out there!

We've got more leftovers than we know what to do with, and really, I didn't make that much food. Some of it will get put in the freezer so we'll have it for another time, but even then...there's a lot. LOL. 

Also, spreading jellied cranberry sauce between two slices of bread with some turkey in the middle is good eatin', let me tell you.

On 11/25/2021 at 3:27 PM, BobDobbs said:

I bartended in my 20s and loved it, too - sounds like we're the same age, My ex from a few years back was one of those young and beautiful bartenders (and yep they're what people want lol) and the stories she would tell me ... ugh. People (dudes especially) can be pretty obnoxious these days.  I guess they've gotten more entitled or ruder or something since I did it in the 90s?

My better half is making homemade Ceasar salads (chicken on mine) and the house smells like garlic croutons yummm. She just pulled them out of the oven. I could eat those all day and be happy. Pumpkin apple muffins for desert!

3 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

I bartended in my 20s and loved it, too - sounds like we're the same age, My ex from a few years back was one of those young and beautiful bartenders (and yep they're what people want lol) and the stories she would tell me ... ugh. People (dudes especially) can be pretty obnoxious these days.  I guess they've gotten more entitled or ruder or something since I did it in the 90s?

I don't get it either. When I bartended in the 90's, if you gave one of the lady bartenders a hard time she would motion to a bouncer and yo ass would get bounced. 

Funny story, I went to a sushi bar around 2001 and ordered a drink, likely a Black Russian as I drank those back then. Waitress brought me a glass of mostly Kahlua with a wee drizzle of vodka. Blech, it was horrible. I asked the waitress if she could have the bartender (a woman) re-make the drink with three ounces of vodka and 1/2 ounce of Kahlua. Waitress said, "Honestly, please don't send it back unless you want to get kicked out. The bartender is the owners girlfriend and anyone who sends back a drink or complains is immediately tossed out." Last time I ate there, and I did not drink that horrible swill she served.

1 minute ago, BobDobbs said:

I don't get it either. When I bartended in the 90's, if you gave one of the lady bartenders a hard time she would motion to a bouncer and yo ass would get bounced. 

Funny story, I went to a sushi bar around 2001 and ordered a drink, likely a Black Russian as I drank those back then. Waitress brought me a glass of mostly Kahlua with a wee drizzle of vodka. Blech, it was horrible. I asked the waitress if she could have the bartender (a woman) re-make the drink with three ounces of vodka and 1/2 ounce of Kahlua. Waitress said, "Honestly, please don't send it back unless you want to get kicked out. The bartender is the owners girlfriend and anyone who sends back a drink or complains is immediately tossed out." Last time I ate there, and I did not drink that horrible swill she served.

Yeah, exactly! One fuck up and you were gone. She worked at a fancy restaurant bar and the customers I think feel richer and cooler than they actually are lol. 

That story is crazy! I've never heard of anything like that before. That drink she made sounds so bad, haha. Straight Kahlua woof. Gotta love the restaurant industry ... the owners and managers ALWAYS were banging or dating the servers, hostess, etc. 

15 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Yeah, exactly! One fuck up and you were gone. She worked at a fancy restaurant bar and the customers I think feel richer and cooler than they actually are lol. 

That story is crazy! I've never heard of anything like that before. That drink she made sounds so bad, haha. Straight Kahlua woof. Gotta love the restaurant industry ... the owners and managers ALWAYS were banging or dating the servers, hostess, etc. 

That reminds me, I think I need a part-time job in the hospitality industry 🙂 

3 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

That reminds me, I think I need a part-time job in the hospitality industry 🙂 

Haha, you should do it! In my area (Sacramento), they're starving for workers in hospitality and restaurant industry. Get this - an owner of a pizza chain in Sacramento raised the salary of his Assistant Manager to 70k (which is nuts) and STILL can't find someone. Crazy times. 

2 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Haha, you should do it! In my area (Sacramento), they're starving for workers in hospitality and restaurant industry. Get this - an owner of a pizza chain in Sacramento raised the salary of his Assistant Manager to 70k (which is nuts) and STILL can't find someone. Crazy times. 

Wow, 70k for assistant managers? I can handle a pizza as good as the next guy and if I can score some "alfredo sauce" as well...WINNING!!!