BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

On 24/01/2018 at 1:21 AM, Walter said:

Filets with a garlic, balsamic, demi-glaze sauce. Side of roasted potatoes and seasoned & olive oil tossed roasted brussel sprouts.  

5522A931-B597-4124-974C-CECF8E0AF725.jpeg

Tasty Chick.

Tonight I am doing Kerelan Chicken Curry. Spicy Spicy ! Rotis to mop up

lots of green and red.

On 1.2.2018 at 2:54 PM, chillumpuffer said:

A steaming hot bowl of excellent home made Minestrone soup. A sourdough roll to dip which was fucking horrible. Should have plumped for a traditional crusty soup roll.

What a pitty. Sourdough rye is my favorite bread. This evening we are going to have a classical home made chicken soup.

Saturday evening and it's horrid outside. Cold and wet. So to warm the cockles i am doing this:

Avocado and prawns in a Marie Rose Dressing. ( Yes Sean Avo's)

Pan Fried Venison Steak. Garlic Roast Potatoes, Green Beans. Redcurrant Jus

Mango and Passion Fruit Slice and cream

A Garlic Yarg and an Italian blue cheese 

Drinks: an Aussie Shiraz, A wonderful Reserva Rioja from Bodegas Navajas. New Zealand Sauvignion Blanc and A White port.

Green for inducing giggles and munchies.

Went out tonight. Came home tired and I decided to try out some Indonesian food.

There is this interesting place that does only home delivery but nevertheless, maintains an intriguing menu. The name of this establishment is 48East (https://www.fortyeighteast.com/

The dish that I ordered was Nasi Goreng, which literally in Indonesian translates to Fried Rice.

There was soy sauce, just the right amount of spices, tofu and tons of veggies in the rice like corn, broccoli (I love broccoli!), shredded cabbage, red peppers and so much more! 

IMG_1646.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

11 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Went out tonight. Came home tired and I decided to try out some Indonesian food.

There is this interesting place that does only home delivery but nevertheless, maintains an intriguing menu. The name of this establishment is 48East (https://www.fortyeighteast.com/

The dish that I ordered was Nasi Goreng, which literally in Indonesian translates to Fried Rice.

There was soy sauce, just the right amount of spices, tofu and tons of veggies in the rice like corn, broccoli (I love broccoli!), shredded cabbage, red peppers and so much more! 

IMG_1646.JPG

Capture.JPG

Next time Kiwi, see if they do a Rendang. Traditionally beef, but I know as you are in India that may be tricky. Nasi Goreng is lovely though. Especially if you get a Laksa with it. Coconut rice too. What's not to like?

Today looks like a day to smoke a pork shoulder and make pulled pork! 

I'm going to try to use a wood fire this time, that means a hotter fire about 275 F compared to my usual 225 F.  I'd never smoke beef at that temp but pork is hard to ruin. 

I'll rub it with my homemade pork rub (brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and cumin), smoke it to 200 F, then pull it and add a little home made sauce (tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, molasses, and spices). 

I make a spicy, mayo-less slaw and serve it on rolls with pickles and peppers.

I'll add some pictures when I'm done.

29 minutes ago, chef free said:

I'm going to try to use a wood fire this time, that means a hotter fire about 275 F compared to my usual 225 F.  I'd never smoke beef at that temp but pork is hard to ruin. 

I'll rub it with my homemade pork rub (brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and cumin), smoke it to 200 F, then pull it and add a little home made sauce (tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, molasses, and spices). 

Doing this on a Barbie outside? Drinks??

Smoking outside today!  We're having our usual February "false spring" and it's 73 F outside.  And of course drinks!  How else could I wait the hours it takes to smoke a shoulder?  And yes there is a stereo out there too, and, yes, Led Zeppelin is playing...

Edited by chef free

13 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Next time Kiwi, see if they do a Rendang. Traditionally beef, but I know as you are in India that may be tricky. Nasi Goreng is lovely though. Especially if you get a Laksa with it. Coconut rice too. What's not to like?

CP, that was one of the first things that came to mind, when I first visited their website! :) I had beef ribs once, back in 2014 at Hard Rock Cafe for my birthday and I was pretty hopeful that restaurants out here, will continue to serve beef based dishes. But sadly, you're absolutely right about beef restrictions. The Indian government is sure cracking down heavily, on folks who eat / sell beef. I hope to at least see Chicken Rendang on their menu soon. Their menu keeps changing every Friday, so, you never know! :) 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

That sounds great chef and kiwi! I have become close friends with a family in our neighborhood with family origins from India and have been trying new dishes. Good stuff! 

Getting ready for a food onslaught today at our first annual neighborhood Super Bowl party this afternoon at the Lakehouse. Getting 20-30 or so of us together. Should be fun. I’ll run down the foodies later...

10 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

CP, that was one of the first things that came to mind, when I first visited their website! :) I had beef ribs once, back in 2014 at Hard Rock Cafe for my birthday and I was pretty hopeful that restaurants out here, will continue to serve beef based dishes. But sadly, you're absolutely right about beef restrictions. The Indian government is sure cracking down heavily, on folks who eat / sell beef. I hope to at least see Chicken Rendang on their menu soon. Their menu keeps changing every Friday, so, you never know! :) 

Doesn't work as well with Chicken Kiwi. In fact not at all. It's a long, long cooking time. It's like a Lasagne. Beef yes, chicken no.

I don't really know a chicken dish that can take hours of cooking.

Tonight: A large Growler, Salad and various nibbles

Edited by chillumpuffer

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, chef free said:

You're speaking my language, chef free! Hard to beat a slow smoked pork shoulder.

I've got a proposition, seeing that you enjoy the artistry of the charcoal grill and/or charcoal smoker.
PM your address to me and within a week I will ship to you pieces of Pecan, Black Walnut, and Hickory (maybe some Oak) all harvested from my property. I'll even include some of my 'secret weapon' wood which will draw your neighbors to your grill by the incredible aroma.
I use each wood individually but will on occasion do a mix. Added to the charcoal embers, the smoke from these woods will take pork shoulder, pork ribs and chicken to an another level.

All I ask in return would be a critique of your experience involving these various woods on this forum.

Here's some pictures from the pulled pork smoking!

9+ lbs. pork shoulder, smoked over a hardwood (almond) fire, at 275 F for 8 hours.  It was my second try at a all wood fire, so I ran it hotter than usual so I could get that sweet clear-blue smoke!

DSCF6010.JPG

Nice weather for February< welcome to California!

DSCF6013.JPG

The rig, a reverse flow type from Oklahoma Joe's, very well built and available for a good price too!

DSCF6020.JPG

Getting a wood fire to burn at a steady heat for eight hours is a pretty neat trick!  I learned to ADD wood when the fire got too hot...

DSCF6027.JPG

Starting to get some bark!

DSCF6044.JPG

Ya gotta have a cool place to hang out if you are going to tend the smoker for so long, beer and music help a lot!

DSCF6049.JPG

Keeping the meat moist makes the smoke stick, I'm spraying it with rye whiskey (between sips!)

DSCF6058.JPG

The final product, what a nice bark!  I was able to slide the shoulder bone with one pull...

DSCF6061.JPG

Here ya go!  My daughter made the slaw and she decided my hot and sweet slaw was in "competition" with the pork flavors so she made a traditional slaw.  I made the sauces, two kinds, hot and Chef Free hot.

Edited by chef free

5 hours ago, chef free said:

9+ lbs. pork shoulder, smoked over a hardwood (almond) fire, at 275 F for 8 hours.  It was my second try at a all wood fire, so I ran it hotter than usual so I could get that sweet clear-blue smoke!

DSCF6010.JPG

DSCF6013.JPG

The rig, a reverse flow type from Oklahoma Joe's, very well built and available for a good price too!

DSCF6020.JPG

Getting a wood fire to burn at a steady heat for eight hours is a pretty neat trick!  I learned to ADD wood when the fire got too hot...

DSCF6027.JPG

DSCF6044.JPG

Ya gotta have a cool place to hang out if you are going to tend the smoker for so long, beer and music help a lot!

DSCF6049.JPG

Keeping the meat moist makes the smoke stick, I'm spraying it with rye whiskey (between sips!)

DSCF6058.JPG

The final product, what a nice bark!  I was able to slide the shoulder bone with one pull...

DSCF6061.JPG

Here ya go!  My daughter made the slaw and she decided my hot and sweet slaw was in "competition" with the pork flavors so she made a traditional slaw.  I made the sauces, two kinds, hot and Chef Free hot.

All of a sudden I am hungry. :drool:

7 hours ago, chef free said:

DSCF6010.JPG

DSCF6013.JPG

DSCF6020.JPG

DSCF6027.JPG

DSCF6044.JPG

DSCF6049.JPG

DSCF6058.JPG

DSCF6061.JPG

Outstanding effort Chef. Not sure I could do that on my little Weber though. It doesn't stay dry enough for 8 hrs ! I know what I would be growing in that garden area ;)

10 hours ago, Strider said:

All of a sudden I am hungry. :drool:

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Outstanding effort Chef. Not sure I could do that on my little Weber though. It doesn't stay dry enough for 8 hrs ! I know what I would be growing in that garden area ;)

I wish you guys were here, sitting out front, blasting some bootlegs, drinking a few beers, and enjoying legal weed!  If yer ever up this way gimme a PM and we'll see what we can do!