BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

It's Christmas dinner. We have been on our usual long walk in the Peaks. A bit foggy but it just added to the atmosphere.

Anyway for tonight's ( we are eating at 6 o'clock) fayre we have:

Plump prawns in a Marie Rose sauce

Roast, stuffed Pheasant. This beautiful wild Pheasant has been stuffed with Sausage and Cranberry and layered with Streaky Bacon.

Served with Honey Roasted Parsnips, Sprouts, Bread Sauce and a Game sauce.

Passion Fruit Souffles. 

A 2017 Chablis Cru and a Red Rioja from Bodegas Navajas 2017

For Christmas dinner I made a 6 lb prime rib roast. Seasoned with a coating of a horseradish/Dijon mustard mix brushed on and then a mixture of garlic powder, thyme, coarse ground black pepper, and kosher salt sprinkled all around. 

Served with au jas sauce made from the roast, whipped russet potatoes, French green bean casserole with fried onions on top, sautéed mushrooms, and dinner rolls. 

Very enjoyable. 

9A0970F3-253E-4085-9514-89FB8BB5415F.jpeg

0A732E1C-EC61-4522-9BDB-ABC91EE01BA9.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Had some leftover tikka masala sauce. Put some spaghetti on the boil and sautéed some garlic, onions, mushrooms, and green, red, and yellow peppers and mixed them with the sauce and voilà...tikka spaghetti.

With a bottle of 2016 Cline Cellars Zinfandel.

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Please don't tell me you've gone VEGAN

Nah, I'm not a vegan, I am though a fussy eater always have been. I never ate any meat apart from sausages  until I was twenty five when I had my first beefburger. I've never eaten fish, chicken, only breast and that was only because my wife got me to give it a try, in fact I've never eaten anything I don't like, ever. I was a nightmare for my mum, I'd starve myself before I'd eat anything I did not like the look/ smell of. I'd eat fruit except peaches and plums, veg, only carrots, When I was a kid my Sunday dinner was roast potatoes and carrots with gravy, so long as it wasn't made with meat juice. I'll eat sprouts (these days) so long as they are cooked properly. Most of my protein comes from baked beans and soya/quorn based products. 

The Thai curry is a recent thing, I spent a few days with a friend and his wife who I haven't seen since about 2000. They suggested going for a meal, Thai, I'd never had one before so I thought "shit what am I going to eat" Turns out my mate had gone vegetarian otherwise the meal suggestion may have been a Steakhouse. So I was relieved when I saw the Tofu based meals on the menu, so I chose the Yellow Curry, I was really surprised how delicious it was.

Anyway, after mentioning the meal to my brother he bought me a Thai recipes book for xmas. So the other day I chose what I was going to make and bought all the ingredients except for Galangal which I couldn't find (as it is from the ginger family I just used that as a sub). Making the paste was the most time consuming part of the process.  Have to say it turned out quite nice with full approval from Mr's JTM. So that's it bit of a ramble, but there ya go..

Edited by JTM

3 hours ago, JTM said:

Nah, I'm not a vegan, I am though a fussy eater always have been. I never ate any meat apart from sausages  until I was twenty five when I had my first beefburger. I've never eaten fish, chicken, only breast and that was only because my wife got me to give it a try, in fact I've never eaten anything I don't like, ever. I was a nightmare for my mum, I'd starve myself before I'd eat anything I did not like the look/ smell of. I'd eat fruit except peaches and plums, veg, only carrots, When I was a kid my Sunday dinner was roast potatoes and carrots with gravy, so long as it wasn't made with meat juice. I'll eat sprouts (these days) so long as they are cooked properly. Most of my protein comes from baked beans and soya/quorn based products. 

The Thai curry is a recent thing, I spent a few days with a friend and his wife who I haven't seen since about 2000. They suggested going for a meal, Thai, I'd never had one before so I thought "shit what am I going to eat" Turns out my mate had gone vegetarian otherwise the meal suggestion may have been a Steakhouse. So I was relieved when I saw the Tofu based meals on the menu, so I chose the Yellow Curry, I was really surprised how delicious it was.

Anyway, after mentioning the meal to my brother he bought me a Thai recipes book for xmas. So the other day I chose what I was going to make and bought all the ingredients except for Galangal which I couldn't find (as it is from the ginger family I just used that as a sub). Making the paste was the most time consuming part of the process.  Have to say it turned out quite nice with full approval from Mr's JTM. So that's it bit of a ramble, but there ya go..

I see. Thanks for the ramble man. What a mare for your mother though? I was a vegetarian when I lived at home from 16 till i met Mrs CP  when I was 26. I used to cook all my meals at home using pulses and beans. Black Eyed, Mung , Kidney etc. If it was bean I ate it. 

Galangal is hard to find and you did right with the ginger. I get Galangal, fresh, from one of the many Asian supermarkets in Manchester. It freezes well too. But it is a bastard to peel. I make Thai pastes from scratch. Time consuming yes, but they last a good few months in a mason jar in the fridge.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

I see. Thanks for the ramble man. What a mare for your mother though? I was a vegetarian when I lived at home from 16 till i met Mrs CP  when I was 26. I used to cook all my meals at home using pulses and beans. Black Eyed, Mung , Kidney etc. If it was bean I ate it. 

Galangal is hard to find and you did right with the ginger. I get Galangal, fresh, from one of the many Asian supermarkets in Manchester. It freezes well too. But it is a bastard to peel. I make Thai pastes from scratch. Time consuming yes, but they last a good few months in a mason jar in the fridge.

About the Thai meal in the restaurant, in the curry there were potato  chunks that had slightly citrusy flavour too them, really nice. I'd love to know how they  did them. Now I need to find where my nearest Asian supermarket is, I don't think there are any on The Wirral, I'll probably have to go to Liverpool..... Edit that, there is a stockist in Birkenhead, fifteenish mins away.

Edited by JTM

1 hour ago, JTM said:

About the Thai meal in the restaurant, in the curry there were potato  chunks that had slightly citrusy flavour too them, really nice. I'd love to know how they  did them. Now I need to find where my nearest Asian supermarket is, I don't think there are any on The Wirral, I'll probably have to go to Liverpool..... Edit that, there is a stockist in Birkenhead, fifteenish mins away.

Probably the lemon grass that was in the curry.

18 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Probably the lemon grass that was in the curry.

Yeah maybe, I used Lemongrass paste in a squeeze tube in the one I made (no fresh in Tesco), Galangal research tells me that that can add a citrusy flavour. I'll have to experiment when I get some fresh Lemongrass and the Galangal.