BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Hi, jabe, that's cool! I used to work a lot in Bham, and we always had bbq catered for lunch meetings. Had Jim 'N Nicks many times, also Miss Myra's (my first introduction to white sauce for bbq), and Full Moon (first introduction to chow-chow, which is super yummy with bbq).

Funny you mention Miss Myra's and Full Moon.

I grew up about three miles from Miss Myra's and I went to college with one of the Maloof brothers, who bought Full moon from the original owner and have turned it into a multi chain juggernaut.

Both produce some excellent smoked meat... when's lunch?

Funny you mention Miss Myra's and Full Moon.

I grew up about three miles from Miss Myra's and I went to college with one of the Maloof brothers, who bought Full moon from the original owner and have turned it into a multi chain juggernaut.

Both produce some excellent smoked meat... when's lunch?

You are def surrounded by bbq royalty! Now I'm hungry for some good bbq! How ironic that this morning I read that our local TV station (nowhere near Bham) is doing a feature on Miss Myra's!

I just called a local place and ordered my favorite Chinese chicken salad, but the lady on the phone said they don't have it any longer but they do have an "Asian chicken salad". When I asked what the differences was, she said they are no longer allowed to call them Chinese chicken salads because "that is considered offensive". WTF?

On Sunday I'm planing on having a full English breakfast (FEB)--- unless they are calling them full European breakfasts to save people from being offended, and then I'll probably lose my appetite.

BTW-- the Asian chicken salad didn't taste as good as the Chinese chicken salad for some reason.

I just called a local place and ordered my favorite Chinese chicken salad, but the lady on the phone said they don't have it any longer but they do have an "Asian chicken salad". When I asked what the differences was, she said they are no longer allowed to call them Chinese chicken salads because "that is considered offensive". WTF?

On Sunday I'm planing on having a full English breakfast (FEB)--- unless they are calling them full European breakfasts to save people from being offended, and then I'll probably lose my appetite.

BTW-- the Asian chicken salad didn't taste as good as the Chinese chicken salad for some reason.

That is truly a WTF deal, LIVIN. Fortunately, my local go-to place still calls them Chinese Chicken Salad.

Dd and jabe, neither Miss Myra's or Jim n Nicks existed in Alabama when I was last there. Not that Alabama suffered from a lack of BBQ when I was there. I can't really remember the names of all the Rib Shacks I sampled on my road trip but they were uniformly good. Gibson's was one, for sure.

Charles J. White, what hath your country wrought?!?

A culinary invasion from Canada, Smoke's Poutinerie got its start in Montreal. It has now opened a location in Hollywood. The first sight you are confronted with is a mountain of bags of Idaho potatoes.

The basic Poutinerie is fries covered in gravy and cheese curd. From there, the menu offers a myriad of topping combinations. Last night I chose the Smoked Meat Peppercorn for my first foray into Canadian street food...fries topped with shaved Montréal smoked meat, mushrooms, and peppercorn gravy.

Obviously, your feelings about gravy on fries will have a significant bearing on whether you'll enjoy the offerings at Smoke's Poutinerie. You'll also want to immediately schedule a mountain hike after you eat one of these calorie-bombs....or go to sleep.

There are vegetarian options, too.

Naturally, you can also get the fries sans toppings.

post-1470-0-54482600-1434681964_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-57487200-1434681992_thumb.jp

Edited by Strider

Today was my weekly pilgrimage to Little Jewel of New Orleans in downtown Los Angeles. Spicy Cajun Pasta...bowtie pasta with shrimp, crawfish, Tasso, and Andouille sausage. Tried two kinds of soda pop...Fentimans Dandelion & Burdock Root from the U.K.; and Swamp Pop Jean Lafitte Ginger Ale from Louisiana. The Swamp Pop Ginger Ale was the winner...didn't care for the aniseed finish of the Fentimans.

The pasta was nice and full of pep. I didn't have to add much additional hot sauce.

post-1470-0-06311100-1434700677_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-05984800-1434700726_thumb.jp

Tried a new place...the Wirsthaus on La Brea. Any place that has Erdinger Hefeweizen on tap immediately makes a good impression on me...and you can get beer here in pints, litres, and boots! Prost! Schnitzel und spätzl.

post-1470-0-35347100-1434787644_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-88272800-1434787721_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-74931300-1434787783_thumb.jp

Strider,

They have spread all over Canada. There are a number of them in Halifax as well. A fellow at work asked me if I wanted to join him there for lunch maybe a month ago because the Canadian locations offer "gourmet" hot dogs to go with the pountin which you described. I have yet to eat there and won't eat there. 20 years ago I would have eaten there once a week. Glad to see Canada exporting such fine foods.

Charles J. White, what hath your country wrought?!?

A culinary invasion from Canada, Smoke's Poutinerie got its start in Montreal. It has now opened a location in Hollywood. The first sight you are confronted with is a mountain of bags of Idaho potatoes.

The basic Poutinerie is fries covered in gravy and cheese curd. From there, the menu offers a myriad of topping combinations. Last night I chose the Smoked Meat Peppercorn for my first foray into Canadian street food...fries topped with shaved Montréal smoked meat, mushrooms, and peppercorn gravy.

Obviously, your feelings about gravy on fries will have a significant bearing on whether you'll enjoy the offerings at Smoke's Poutinerie. You'll also want to immediately schedule a mountain hike after you eat one of these calorie-bombs....or go to sleep.

There are vegetarian options, too.

Naturally, you can also get the fries sans toppings.
attachicon.gif20150617_210306.jpg
attachicon.gif20150617_205730.jpg

I do it for the kids. ;)

Always for the kids...

Mr. ebk made pancakes this morning before taking off for work. Show going out tonight, so he'll be back tomorrow morning. There will be no pancakes then, just sleeping.

Always for the kids...

Mr. ebk made pancakes this morning before taking off for work. Show going out tonight, so he'll be back tomorrow morning. There will be no pancakes then, just sleeping.

Sleeping is good. Especially when you've got a belly full of pancakes.

Woke up a little groggy and sleep-deprived today...in bed at 4am and up at 9am...with rummy dreams still swirling in my head.

Taking the day slow with some fresh blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, tangerines, and mangoes from the market. A bottle of V8...and large quantities of water.

Spectacular Sunday supper...accompanied by some spectacular golf.

First, a flight of wine...from left to right, 2013 Tiamo Barbara, 2012 Bridlewood Pinot Noir, 2010 Roth Red Blend.

post-1470-0-08668600-1434964008_thumb.jp

Spicy Corn Fritters...corn, kale, jalapeños, cilantro...topped with feta cheese and avocado salsa.

post-1470-0-03709400-1434964331_thumb.jp

Brie and Bacon burger...Kobe beef, smoked bacon, grilled onions, brie cheese, blackberry sauce.

post-1470-0-18304500-1434964567_thumb.jp

Oh, in case any of you oenophiles (ebk, chillumpuffer, planted, Deb, SuperDave, ... ) were wondering, I liked the 2010 Roth Red the best, then the 2013 Tiamo Barbara, and coming in last was the 2012 Bridlewood Pinot Noir.

Oh, in case any of you oenophiles (ebk, chillumpuffer, planted, Deb, SuperDave, ... ) were wondering, I liked the 2010 Roth Red the best, then the 2013 Tiamo Barbara, and coming in last was the 2012 Bridlewood Pinot Noir.

Oh good. I chose correctly after reading the descriptions!

That looked like a fabulous dinner!!