BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

11 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Forget my last post.

Seany boy I Love You !! Eggy Bread and a rasher.

Lasgane Al Forno for dinner. Garlic and parsley bread. A  good red and some South African Kwazulu green. My own of course, which is heavenly. A bag of salted peanuts when, as sure an egg is an egg, the munchies kick in later.

Just going to light up the woodburner as the Autumn evening introduces itself. A wonderful red sky and a calm sunny weekend forecast.

By the way ebk. What are Triscuits? Baked 3 times?

Image result for triscuits

My favorite snack crackers.

Tonight, before the concert (which was wonderful!), we went to a new Italian place.  I had grilled sardines with greens drizzled with balsamic vinegar.  Then Laganelle - house made pasta with lamb ragu.  Enjoyed a lovely Sangiovese with it.  Dessert was limoncello mousse with a house made stawberry liqueur.  Can't wait to go back there.

I see like a cracker for cheese?

Your Italian dinner sounds wonderful! eeemmm Limoncello mousse sounds delish. And I love Sardines. If ever there was an Ocean Prowler that is great grilled or beyond ecstatic, BBQ'd then the humble oily blighter is top of the pile.

CP's dinner this evening:

Pan fried King Prawns with a Marie Rose sauce on a bed of rocket

Beef Wellington, Roasted Garlic Potatoes, Asparagus. Marsala wine reduction

Forest fruits cheese cake and a drizzle of cream

A white Rioja for starters and a New Zealand Pinot Noir for the bully. 

I meant to eat German before the German Film Festival last night, but after baby shower shopping I passed by TJ's Sweetie Pies, this new soul food place that has been all the rave since it opened...lines down the block every time I went by.

Except yesterday! As luck would have it a film crew had just finished filming there and Sweetie Pies had just reopened for business and so I took advantage of the no-line (thank goodness as it was 100°!) and scrapped my original dinner plans.

So how was the chicken? Is it worth the hubbub? In a word - YES! Roscoe's has long held the roost for best southern fried chicken in Los Angeles. But Sweetie Pies is now giving Roscoe's some competition. Is it better than Roscoe's? Not sure...but it's at least as good. And in my opinion, the collard greens and yams are better. The only disappointment was the cornbread. 

The whole meal of breast & leg, greens and yams, cornbread and an Arnold Palmer cost $20. I was too full to try the mac n cheese or the peach cobbler.

20161021_134659.jpg

cp, Triscuits can be used to hold cheese, or peanut butter, or any kind of hors d'oeuvres.  Or just eat them right out of the box!  I usually get the plain ones, but they also come in other flavors.  The only flavor i really like is the wasabi and soy.  I can go through an entire box of those in one sitting if I'm not careful.

Just came back from brunch with an old roommate.  We ate at the Severn Inn, right on the water outside of Annapolis.  Typical brunch buffet fare...eggs, quiche, french toast, etc., but the setting was quite beautiful.  

17 hours ago, ebk said:

cp, Triscuits can be used to hold cheese, or peanut butter, or any kind of hors d'oeuvres.  Or just eat them right out of the box!  I usually get the plain ones, but they also come in other flavors.  The only flavor i really like is the wasabi and soy.  I can go through an entire box of those in one sitting if I'm not careful.

Just came back from brunch with an old roommate.  We ate at the Severn Inn, right on the water outside of Annapolis.  Typical brunch buffet fare...eggs, quiche, french toast, etc., but the setting was quite beautiful.  

Just don't let the Don catch you eating like that!  LOL.  He might call you a pig!  Ha.  I think I will have a King bozo sandwich for lunch.:lol:

17 hours ago, ebk said:

When we were "down under" there was a snack called Arnott's BBQ shapes. A marvellous snack, right out of the top drawer for us stoners. Can't find them in the UK though, thankfully, as I would be as fat as a don't know what.

Tonight's din will be a fiery Thai Red Curry Pork. This Far East delight is a favourite in the CP's house. Shoulder of Piggy slowly cooked in a rich Thai sauce made of my own paste. This is added to coconut milk until the paste releases it's oil. Add the said Porker and slowly cook. Add Fish Sauce, a few Kaffir Lime Leaves, Palm sugar for a hit of sweetness. Finally some red Pepper (capsicum for you Uncle Sam's) and fine green beans. Garnish with Thai sweet basil Leaves. Serve with rice  - Thai fragrant or Basmati. Sawadee !!

Edited by chillumpuffer

It was raining last night, so I kept post-concert dinner simple and comforting: A small bowl of consommé, a mixed green salad, New York cut steak grilled medium-rare, baked potato, grilled asparagus. Crusty french bread. A sampling of various red wines...pinot noirs, zinfandels, bordeaux.

19 hours ago, Ddladner said:

Chicken and sausage gumbo.  Steamed broccoli.  Milk.

image.jpeg

Love the milk. Nice touch.

Brekkie this morning: Bowl of fruit (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries). Waffles with nutella and bananas. Water, tangerine juice, and hot tea with lemon and honey.

44 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Dinner this evening is one for DD to get her scratching her head. Lancashire Hotpot !:D

CP, yes, I have googled many of the things you cook. ;) 

Including Lancashire Hotpot, which looks very tasty and beautiful as well.  I may be trying this real soon. :) 

Edit:. But not tonight, as we are having speckled trout, topped with a shrimp and crabmeat sauce, roasted baby potatoes, and collard greens.  

Edited by Ddladner

1 hour ago, Ddladner said:

Including Lancashire Hotpot, which looks very tasty and beautiful as well.  I may be trying this real soon. :) 

Edit:. But not tonight, as we are having speckled trout, topped with a shrimp and crabmeat sauce, roasted baby potatoes, and collard greens.  

A fishy dinner DD? Also sounds yummy. A shrimp and crab sauce - eemmmmm

There are many versions of Lancashire Hotpot. This is what is in "The Pot" this evening:

8 Lamb cutlets. Onion in the ring type, Carrots,Sweet Potato, Button mushrooms, a Bulb of Garlic, Lamb Stock and sliced Potato on the top. I have also added a bundle of Herbs - Rosemary,Thyme and a Bay Leaf. Traditionally Lamb kidney is added but I couldn't score any. It has been cooking for a few hours and the house smells lovely. Mrs CP is salivating as we speak. Not yet love..

A bottle of Rioja will be just the ticket for this warming pot of loveliness

Edited by chillumpuffer
I forgot to add the herbs, not in the dish !

30 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

A fishy dinner DD? Also sounds yummy. A shrimp and crab sauce - eemmmmm

There are many versions of Lancashire Hotpot. This is what is in "The Pot" this evening:

8 Lamb cutlets. Onion in the ring type, Carrots,Sweet Potato, Button mushrooms, a Bulb of Garlic, Lamb Stock and sliced Potato on the top. Traditionally Lamb kidney is added but I couldn't score any. It has been cooking for a few hours and the house smells lovely. Mrs CP is salivating as we speak. Not yet love..

A bottle of Rioja will be just the ticket for this warming pot of loveliness

Ahhh, I should know that your version would be fancier than the one I googled.  Thanks for sharing your tips, I will remember to add sweet potato, button mushrooms and garlic.  ?

Enjoy your lovely Lancashire Hotpot, CP! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Dd, since it is Halloween season you should post your jack-o-lantern pastry recipe. ?

I made these last weekend.  They looked cute, but tasted a bit bland.  May be too much pie dough or in need of a sauce.  I put the cheese on top so that it showed through, a festive touch.  I like your idea of filling them with pumpkin, you could sprinkle the top with sugar and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.  ?

image.jpeg

On 27/10/2016 at 5:15 PM, Ddladner said:

Roasted Pumpkin soup and crusty bread. Fish Pie and some fine beans for dinner 

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Roasted Pumpkin soup and crusty bread. Fish Pie and some fine beans for dinner 

I recently saved a black bean and pumpkin soup recipe to try.  I love pumpkin and recently saw that it is one of ten vegetables you should be eating.  You'll be surprised to know that I've never heard of fish pie ;) but I googled it, and it sounds delicious!  Will add to my list to try.  

Bon Appetit!

:) 

^^^I have a nice pumpkin bisque recipe I can share with you, if you'd like?

Was at a Swiss film premiere earlier and scarfed some Bindenfleisch, Swiss cheese, Swiss chocolates, and Swiss wine. Yes...wine from Switzerland.

Post-screening supper of butternut squash, pumpkin, and ricotta pizza and pumpkin ale.

20161017_222615.jpg