BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Still a bit stuffed from the Ocean Prowlers this morning but we press on till dinner.

Beef short ribs, slow cooked for 4 hours in a casserole full of hearty veg and herbs, red wine and stock. This will eventually become a rich gravy. Yorkshire Pudding and Broccoli to accompany. Horseradish cream for me, English Mustard for 'er indoors.

A classy Rioja to swill round the glass.

If we can fit anymore in An Apple Crumble and cream for afters. 

Oh the joy of Autumn cuisine ?

Strider, a pumpkin bisque recipe would be most welcomed, many thanks! 

CP, you have a lot of energy to cook fancy dishes for every meal.  It would be fun to live in your house. :) 

Sunday brunch: Lobster scrambled eggs, cheese grits (no comments, CP), English muffin.  Mimosa and coffee.  Water.  I'm good til dinner.

IMG_4681.JPG

Jesus Christ CP...you've gorged yourself twice before I have even had a chance to wake up and eat breakfast. Haha.

Ddladner, your wish is my command. As soon as I can I will transcribe it down and post it.

Sunday breakfast: Scrambled eggs with sherry, onions, spinach, garlic, chives, and cream cheese. Toasted bagels with lox, cream cheese, red onions, chives. Half a cantaloupe. Hot chamomile tea in my Jimmy Page Guitars mug. Orange juice. And CJW-approved amounts of water.

After a lovely day at Hillwood Estates, we had wine and snacks - Erin had calamari and I had brussel sprouts with pomegranates and orange yogurt.  And then we had more wine.

Dinner will be chicken breasts with a side of spaghetti and a tomato/mozzarella salad.  And more wine.

1 hour ago, ebk said:

After a lovely day at Hillwood Estates, we had wine and snacks - Erin had calamari and I had brussel sprouts with pomegranates and orange yogurt.  And then we had more wine.

Dinner will be chicken breasts with a side of spaghetti and a tomato/mozzarella salad.  And more wine.

I was just at the farmer's market today and picked up some pomegranates. Now you have given me a new idea for them. :D

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Ddladner, your wish is my command. As soon as I can I will transcribe it down and post it.

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, ebk said:

I had brussel sprouts today, too.  So glad I have acquired a taste for this wonderful vegetable, hehe.  I usually steam them but tonight roasted them in the oven.  They're yummy either way!

Tonight my wind down drink is hot early grey tea, sweetened with coconut sugar.  Have enjoyed trying different flavored sugars in my tea, but none match the *wow* factor of vanilla bean sugar.

44 minutes ago, Strider said:

We call it 'Toad-in-a-hole' in California, too, Dd.

20161107_080434.jpg

Very nice looking breakfast, Strider! :)  

21 hours ago, Ddladner said:

Tonight my wind down drink is hot earl grey tea, sweetened with coconut sugar.  Have enjoyed trying different flavored sugars in my tea, but none match the *wow* factor of vanilla bean sugar.

oops...

On 07/11/2016 at 3:36 AM, Ddladner said:

:thumbsup:

I had brussel sprouts today, too.  So glad I have acquired a taste for this wonderful vegetable, hehe.  I usually steam them but tonight roasted them in the oven.  They're yummy either way!

Tonight my wind down drink is hot early grey tea, sweetened with coconut sugar.  Have enjoyed trying different flavored sugars in my tea, but none match the *wow* factor of vanilla bean sugar.

A great veg. Mrs CP not so keen ironically, as it was her that converted me. I have them steamed or sauteed with some Pancetta. They always say after the first hard frost the humble sprout takes on a better flavour. Either way they are a winter staple with Sunday Roast.

Tonight is Thai curry. I have some beef left over from the short ribs and I will add sweet potato and some french beans to my coconut and red curry spicy delight. Rice on the side. Need something hot as winter is due tonight. Could be a lot of snow in the morning so I have been to the village to stock up on supplies. If it snows here we are on lock down as we can't get out. Could be the first duvet day of the winter:'(

47 minutes ago, Charles J. White said:

Porridge with blueberries mixed in for breakfast with a great glass of water

I had oatmeal this morning, too!  Cooked with milk and honey, topped with raspberries, blackberries, sliced banana, and a pinch of sea salt.  Coffee.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

A great veg. Mrs CP not so keen ironically, as it was her that converted me. I have them steamed or sauteed with some Pancetta. They always say after the first hard frost the humble sprout takes on a better flavour. Either way they are a winter staple with Sunday Roast.

I saw brussel sprouts on the stalk yesterday at the store.  Had not seen them sold this way before.  They have gotten bumped up to 'super cool' status. ;) 

image.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

I had oatmeal this morning, too!  Cooked with milk and honey, topped with raspberries, blackberries, sliced banana, and a pinch of sea salt.  Coffee.

I'm an avid porridge guy - the idea of adding a sliced banana pieces to it is something I do often as well, the banana is a great source of potassium I believe; for lunch I'm not sure if its going to be Thai or Indian 

1 hour ago, Ddladner said:

I saw brussel sprouts on the stalk yesterday at the store.  Had not seen them sold this way before.  They have gotten bumped up to 'super cool' status. ;) 

image.jpeg

We have them like that too DD. It's quite common to see the little beauties like this. it's the only upside of Winter - THE VEGGIES. I love all roots and shoots. Anyway time to prepare for dinner. Oh yes I love to cook !!

Pumpkin soup 

Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Servings: 4 to 8
Note: Adapted from "Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef." Pumpkin seed oil is available at most cooking supply stores and select well-stocked markets.

pixel.gif1 5-pound sugar or pie pumpkin (such as Autumn Gold)
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
1 large carrot, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 medium sweet potato (1-pound), quartered and medium-diced
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 small bay leaf
2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons pumpkin seed oil (if you can't find it, you can use olive oil)

1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Cut the top off the pumpkin and quarter it. Remove the seeds and the guts and set aside the seeds. Toss the pumpkin quarters in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season each piece with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Place the pieces in a baking dish. Bake the pumpkin until the flesh inside is soft enough to scoop out with a spoon, about 30 minutes. Allow it to come to room temperature, then scoop the flesh from the shell and discard the shell.
2. While the pumpkin is baking, toss the pumpkin seeds with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spread the seeds on a baking sheet and place them in the oven (on a separate rack from the pumpkin). Bake the seeds until they start to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and season with a pinch of salt. Set aside to garnish the final soup.
3. Set a medium stockpot over medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the carrot, onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are softened and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the sage and cook, stirring, until the sage is aromatic, about a minute.
4. Add the sweet potato to the stockpot with the sautéed vegetables. Add the nutmeg and bay leaf. Pour in the chicken broth and add the pumpkin flesh. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until you can run a knife through the sweet potato, about 15 minutes.
5. When the potato is softened, discard the bay leaf. Purée the soup using a blender (this may need to be done in batches), and strain into another pot. Taste the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Stir in the cream and butter. Bring to a good simmer, then reduce the heat to low and gently simmer to prevent burning, until the soup is reduced and thickened to your liking, about 10 minutes. This makes about 8 cups soup.
7. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with one-half teaspoon of the pumpkin seeds and one-half teaspoon pumpkin seed oil, or as desired.

Edited by Strider

19 hours ago, ebk said:

Tonight, it's meatloaf and cheese grits.  

I'm also having copious amounts of wine (Tempranillo now).  I have a bottle of champagne in the fridge for...later.

Did you ever pop the bottle?

On 11/8/2016 at 5:54 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Tonight is Thai curry. I have some beef left over from the short ribs and I will add sweet potato and some french beans to my coconut and red curry spicy delight. Rice on the side. Need something hot as winter is due tonight. Could be a lot of snow in the morning so I have been to the village to stock up on supplies. If it snows here we are on lock down as we can't get out. Could be the first duvet day of the winter:'(

Great minds CP...I had Thai red curry last night, too. Wild boar red curry with green peppercorns, to be exact. And a bottle of burgundy.

20161107_223123.jpg