BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

8 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

The wait is nearly over and the Kitchen is on high alert.

To breeze in for what promises to be a culinary marathon, I am having a dippy egg and soldiers for breakfast

So what plans do others have for the holiday - food wise?

Roughly speaking this is what I have planned:

This evening: Spicy. Not sure what but it will be a curry of some sort

Christmas Eve dinner: Fish Pie and a green. Rich and warming this ocean delight is a treat at any time of the year. Haddock, both smoked and plain, large king Prawns in a cream and dill sauce topped with mashed potatoes and Parmesan topping. Purple sprouting Broccoli on the side. It is Mrs CP's fav and I have boldly asked her to choose wine to go with it

The big day: 

Almost sure but things may change, especially in the pudding dept.

Breakkie: Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Toast. Not too heavy as the lunch awaits. A brisk walk in the hills to rev up the appetite

Lunch:

Prawn cocktail: Lightly pan fried King prawns served in a home made Marie Rose dressing. Light salad leaves

Turkey: Free range, bronze hen bird. Roast Pots, sprouts. Bread sauce, gravy- which I have already done. Stuffing and various sweet sauces and chutneys. 

Sweet: Profiteroles and cream or Christmas pudd or trifle or cheesecake.

A selection of cheeses

Wines:

A crisp White Rioja "Hacienda Lopez de Haro" Vintage 2015

A Reserva red Rioja 2009 "Beronia"

Orange Muscat dessert wine "Essensia" 2014 from Madera, California

A White Reserva Port from The Douro in Portugal. "Ramos Pinto Adriano" for the cheese

So, while I'll miss the curry tonight, I'm pretty sure I can get on a plane and be there by  breakfast tomorrow! :)

As always, the menu looks stunning.  I hope you and Mrs CP have a most wonderful Christmas!!

9 minutes ago, ebk said:

So, while I'll miss the curry tonight, I'm pretty sure I can get on a plane and be there by  breakfast tomorrow! :)

As always, the menu looks stunning.  I hope you and Mrs CP have a most wonderful Christmas!!

With that Jet stream ramping up Esther, I'll save you some Lamb curry. Breakfast tomorrow will be dry cured bacon, eggs , button mushrooms and beans. I'll make the spare room up for you:D

Best wishes to you too Est.

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Indeed Sister. Quality and the time of course it takes. This is the first time in years we have had a Turkey. We always have Christmas dinner together - no one else as we visit relatives on Boxing Day. It is a big bird of course and if not done right BLAND. We have tried alternatives from Lobster to Goose and Capon ( a castrated cock Chicken) Guinea Fowl, all sorts. So this year Turkey

I will be covering the bird in unsalted Butter and put a Tangerine with herbs ( sage,rosemary, thyme and loads of bay leaves) in the cavity. Stuff the neck end with sausage meat,breadcrumbs, more herbs and sliced peaches for that sweet hit and wrap in tin foil. Cook for a couple of hours on a trivet ( the giblets, onions,celery,carrots and sage leaves) and remove foil and cover the bird with dry cured smoked streaky bacon. Another hour in and it will be done. Wrap again in tin foil and a tea towel and rest for an hour or so. I made the gravy the other day so I will add that to the mashed veg in the trivet add a dollop of Cranberry sauce and it will be ready to dive in.

DD if you knocked on my door you would be welcomed in with some great food and wines and later we will be welled chilled ;)

Have a great Christmas and a fantastic new year whatever you get up to !

Note: North Indian Lamb Curry this evening with Naan Breads and a chicken masala which I froze the other week. Spicy !

Simply divine!  It would be an honor to dine with you and your bride.  And thank you for the warm wishes.  I do hope that 2017 is very kind to you, too.

:toast: 

2 hours ago, ebk said:

Wait for me, ebk, I'm headed your way to tag along!  CP will be shocked one day when we show up on his doorstep, hehe. 

Merry Christmas, ebk! 

:) 

1 hour ago, Ddladner said:

Wait for me, ebk, I'm headed your way to tag along!  CP will be shocked one day when we show up on his doorstep, hehe. 

Merry Christmas, ebk! 

:) 

I was actually thinking when I posted that you could join me on a plane from DC!! :D

Merry Christmas to you, too, Debbie!  (I'll be in NOLA in late January...maybe we could manage to meet up?)

4 hours ago, ebk said:

I was actually thinking when I posted that you could join me on a plane from DC!! :D

Merry Christmas to you, too, Debbie!  (I'll be in NOLA in late January...maybe we could manage to meet up?)

I could join you on a plane in DC, yes!  And I would love to meet up with you in NOLA!!  :thumbsup:

Chinese Takeaway. 

After living on Curd and Apple juice for the past three days, I had a craving for Hakka noodles and seasonal vegetables, served with a hot garlic sauce. This was something even my poor mom could enjoy. 

Edited to add: Here's something for my American friends, who might be wondering what the difference is, between curd and yoghurt:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/diet/How-is-yogurt-different-from-curd/articleshow/46702468.cms

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Chums round this evening so i have prepared an Indian/Asian feast.

Chicken Satay marinated in Lime leaves,Kecap Manis and Black Pepper. Peanut Dipping Sauce

Butter Chicken

Chana Dhal

Yellow Dhal

Naan Breads

Coconut and Lime Cheesecake

Red,White wine or Peroni Beer

Green for laughs

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

New years day dinner:

King Prawn Cocktail 

Boned fresh Pheasant with sausage meat stuffing, Roast Potatoes, Green Beans. Game sauce

Cheeses and wine of course

Happy new year all foodies, DD and Est. Your seats are ready !!:D

Had a lovely, healthy bowl of oatmeal and yogurt this morning.  I can now go back to my regular eating habits as I've appeased the New Year gods :)

Happy New Year to you, cp, and the lovely Mrs cp.  There's nothing I'd enjoy more that meeting up and having a meal and a drink...or two!  Hopefully soon!!

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

New years day dinner:

King Prawn Cocktail 

Boned fresh Pheasant with sausage meat stuffing, Roast Potatoes, Green Beans. Game sauce

Cheeses and wine of course

Happy new year all foodies, DD and Est. Your seats are ready !!:D

cp, Happy New Year to you and Mrs. cp!  I wish you many blessings in the coming year. 

Your New Year's Day dinner sounds splendid, and in our virtual world of friendship, I graciously accept your invitation. Consider me there! 

Looking forward to seeing what delectable meals you will be preparing throughout the year.

:friends: