BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

I had pizza last night - a "lasagna" pizza that had ground beef and ricotta along with the other usual pizza toppings.  It was yummy!

Tonight, after the theatre, we went to Central.  I had Lamb Shank Pastilla, which was kinda like a lamb pot pie, but in phyllo pastry instead of pie dough.  It was marvelous!!  My friend and I split a bottle of Loire rose.  And now I'm enjoying a rum and eggnog on my couch watching football.  It's all good...  

It's Christmas Eve and there's no stopping the kitchen delights:

Mrs CP has made Mince Pies and they look fab. I made a Peach and Passion Fruit Trifle.

For Dinner tonight:

More of the Duck and Orange Pate

Lobster Thermidor. Thin Crispy Chips. 

Cheeses and wine. Not too much as it's the big day tomorrow

It's Christmas dinner.

Smoked salmon stuffed with cream cheese. NZ Sauvignion Blanc. Kate Radburnd 2014

Roast Turkey Breast, Chipolata Sausage, Sprouts, Roast Parsnips. Cranberry Sauce, Bread Sauce. NZ Pinot Noir. Domain Road Vineyard. Otago 2014

Trifle

Cheeses. Yorkshire Blue. Hereford Hop Cheddar. Quince Jelly. White Port

Christmas Dinner:

Various cheeses...Stilton, Brie, Camembert, Havarti, Swiss, Gouda, Goat.

Various hummus and dips.

Salamis, prosciutto.

Crackers, toast points, crisps, bagel chips.

Vegetable crudites.

Butternut squash soup. Split pea soup.

Christmas Ham with pomegranate sauce.

Roast Duck.

Tofurkey (for the vegans).

Sweet potatoes with shredded coconut and pecans.

Wild mushroom and sausage stuffing.

Vegan stuffing.

Mashed potatoes.

Green bean almondine.

Braised carrots.

Whole cranberry sauce.

Gravy.

Sourdough baguettes and Hawaiian rolls.

Various beers and wines. I brought Australian wine...19 Crimes Deep Red and Hard Chard.

Dessert: Southern Pecan pie. Chocolate rum cake. Bread pudding with warm bourbon sauce. Vegan pumpkin pie. Coffee, eggnog and rum, and sherry.

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Christmas Dinner:

Various cheeses...Stilton, Brie, Camembert, Havarti, Swiss, Gouda, Goat.

Various hummus and dips.

Salamis, prosciutto.

Crackers, toast points, crisps, bagel chips.

Vegetable crudites.

Butternut squash soup. Split pea soup.

Christmas Ham with pomegranate sauce.

Roast Duck.

Tofurkey (for the vegans).

Sweet potatoes with shredded coconut and pecans.

Wild mushroom and sausage stuffing.

Vegan stuffing.

Mashed potatoes.

Green bean almondine.

Braised carrots.

Whole cranberry sauce.

Gravy.

Sourdough baguettes and Hawaiian rolls.

Various beers and wines. I brought Australian wine...19 Crimes Deep Red and Hard Chard.

Dessert: Southern Pecan pie. Chocolate rum cake. Bread pudding with warm bourbon sauce. Vegan pumpkin pie. Coffee, eggnog and rum, and sherry.

No wafer thin mints?

14 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Roasted duck with red cabbage and potato dumplings
Château Puy-Blanquet, Grand Cru Saint-Émilion A.C., 2007
Marzipan, poppy seed cake
A Slivovitz as digestif 
And now we're watching The Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers

IMG_7852.thumb.jpg.d341ad9490ee258d953b42876f09411b.jpg

IMG_7846.thumb.jpg.547e15dbddc52b7ddd6739fb65900678.jpg

Love that Bottle and menu Led. I am no fan of french wine so how was that vintage? Duck is one of our favourites. 

8 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Love that Bottle and menu Led. I am no fan of french wine so how was that vintage? Duck is one of our favourites. 

Thanks, CP. The Grand Cru was quite nice but not outstanding. I got a red wine from Côtes du Luberon as a christmas present and I'm looking forward to this bottle. I love the French wines.

Today's menu:
Char or trout (don't know what's the accurate translation) stuffed with fresh parsley and dill - it was fantastic
Horseradish sauce, compound butter, potatoes and corn salat
And the wonderful Grüne Veltliner white wine from South Tyrol

Next stop: New Year's Eve dinner

Edited by LedZed66

Funny how "Grand Cru" has that luxury name but doesn't make the grade? 10 years old too

last evening we were at friends and he had a Chateau Neuf de Pape and a Borolo from Italy. Both were bland and uninteresting and expensive. I took a glugger from The Douro at £5 and it outshone the rest. Still he did make a melt in the mouth Beef dish. Braised Rump and it had been in the Aga all day !

Taking a sabbatical from wine and herbs for a few days. Got a rib of beef for New year and thinking what to do with it

Edited by chillumpuffer

15 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Thanks, CP. The Grand Cru was quite nice but not outstanding. I got a red wine from Côtes du Luberon as a christmas present and I'm looking forward to this bottle. I love the French wines.

Today's menu:
Char or trout (don't know what's the accurate translation) stuffed with fresh parsley and dill - it was fantastic
Horseradish sauce, compound butter, potatoes and corn salat
And the wonderful Grüne Veltliner white wine from South Tyrol

Next stop: New Year's Eve dinner

Trout ? As in fish? You are correct Led. I quite like Trout. But Parsley is a herb I can't get a long with

About to embark on making chicken in oregano-tomato cream with pan fried grape tomatoes in garlic/olive oil and green beans with chopped almonds.  First time making it, but it looks to be a nice late lunch with Mrs W. Picked up a bottle of Asti to get kick the afternoon up a notch! 😉

Well we bought too much for Xmas Eve, though we gave some away.   Went to BJ wholesale with my neighbor who is a member.  All kinds of snacks like Artichoke and spinach stuffed crusts, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake which is just fabulous if you have never had it.  My daughter sent me a bottle of wine from Hoboken that she bought right in Paris two weeks ago.  I am  going to save it.  Been drinking Napa valley wines that I love.  New Years eve may get a few crab legs?  I made home made pizza, red and white for Xmas Eve.  I cooked for several restaurants in my younger days.  So I do all the cooking.

On 27.12.2017 at 11:11 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Funny how "Grand Cru" has that luxury name but doesn't make the grade? 10 years old too

last evening we were at friends and he had a Chateau Neuf de Pape and a Borolo from Italy. Both were bland and uninteresting and expensive. I took a glugger from The Douro at £5 and it outshone the rest. Still he did make a melt in the mouth Beef dish. Braised Rump and it had been in the Aga all day !

Taking a sabbatical from wine and herbs for a few days. Got a rib of beef for New year and thinking what to do with it

The few times I drank these famous wines and champagnes I was disappointed. The Chateau Neuf-du-Pape tasted like a Chateau du Clochard. Really awful.

Maybe the "cheap" versions of these very very expensive high-end wines are crap?

On 27.12.2017 at 11:13 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Trout ? As in fish? You are correct Led. I quite like Trout. But Parsley is a herb I can't get a long with

Trout, a fish, yes. It tasts delicious.

Our traditional New Year's Eve dinner:
Prime boiled beef fillet (Tafelspitz)
with horseradish sauce and a special chives sauce, roasted potatoes, green beans, corn salat

The Secco (a sparkling wine) is my favourite sparkling wine/champagne/prosecco/whatever. We order it directly from the winemaker.
IMG_7853.thumb.jpg.c1cfa638767f18dbd06e02ebb992b62c.jpg

1 hour ago, LedZed66 said:
Our traditional New Year's Eve dinner:
Prime boiled beef fillet (Tafelspitz)
with horseradish sauce and a special chives sauce, roasted potatoes, green beans, corn salat

The Secco (a sparkling wine) is my favourite sparkling wine/champagne/prosecco/whatever. We order it directly from the winemaker.
IMG_7853.thumb.jpg.c1cfa638767f18dbd06e02ebb992b62c.jpg

As usual Led, excellent:

Mrs CP has just entered my shrine which is the Kitchen. She is preparing the sweet which is a Passion Fruit Souffle.

Pate and thins to start

I am doing A Roast Rib of Beef. Well aged Aberdeen Angus beef from our friends farm. Honeyed Parsnips, Black Kale . Horseradish Sauce and a rich Gravy. A lot of Horseradish as I have a bastard of a cold

I have a selection of wines: A toss up for the main. A Porta 6 Red from Lisbon 2015. A Classic Rioja Reserva from a Wine Warehouse near to us. 2012. A White Douro 2015 and a White Rioja 2012. Champagne is there but more than likely stay in the fridge.

I have saved some Nepalese Temple Ball which is soft, gooey and black. A slither of a Blonde Maroc pollen and some of my green for smokes.

The weather is shite so the fire is in and looking forward to dinner. 

Hope everyone stays safe and enjoys whatever you get up to. See you next year