BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

Nothing at the moment, but I had leftover pork roast and mashed potatoes for lunch about two hours ago. I am however drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper with a lot of ice.

Oh damn, that sounds good. Def better than my pre-workout meal of a chocolate protein shake, a banana and maple brown sugar oatmeal (even though I love all that too).

3 hours ago, Electrophile said:

Okay, both of the previous two responses make me want Mexican food right now. LOL. My "dinner," if you want to call it that, was a bagel with peanut butter. Very exciting.

Nothin wrong with that! There's a time for Mexican, and a time for a frozen dinner with oatmeal on the side, which is what I had last night.

One of my favourite memories of my time in Europe was discovering the various mulled wines during Christmas. In Germany it is Glühwein, in Sweden it is Glögg, but my favourite may be the Norwegian Gløgg, which has the extra added kick of Aquavit.
This is a Gløgg recipe I acquired years ago on a trip to Norway.
1 bottle of red wine (I usually use a Zinfandel or Grenache)
1 tablespoon cardamom pods
5 whole cloves
1 large sliced cinnamon stick
1 2-inch piece of ginger, chopped
12 ounces white sugar
½ 750-ml bottle of Aquavit
3½ ounces raisins
3½ ounces sliced almonds
Directions
Heat the red wine slowly in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Put the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and ginger in a spice bag and add to the pot. Stir in the sugar until it dissolves. Do not let the wine boil.
Remove the pan from heat and let cool, approximately 2 hours. Add the aquavit to the pan and place over medium-high heat. Heat until just before mixture reaches a boil. Add raisins and almonds. Transfer mixture to a punchbowl, remove the spice bag and ladle into mugs. Spoon some almonds and raisins into each mug.

36 minutes ago, LedZed66 said:

Marzipan poppy seed cake (made by my mother-in-law)

Christmas day dinner: 🎄
Potato dumplings, red cabbage, roasted duck and Champagne

Hope your well Led?

Christmas dinner:

Roasted Guinea Fowl. Streaky Bacon on the top. I stuffed it with a Lemon, Tarragon, Rosemary and Thyme and a good knob of Butter.

Roasted Parsnips. Chipolatas and the ubiquitous Sprouts - we love them

Gravy from the pan.

Redcurrant Sauce, Mustards and Horseradish.

A 2011 Rioja Gran Reserva Will be splended.

A Strawberry Cheesecake if we can squeeze it in.

Bon Appetite indeed.

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Christmas Day Breakfast:

Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon. Toast and (Decaf)Coffee and OJ. 

I'll be over (and bring my own full-strength coffee!).  Love smoked salmon and eggs!!

We're having creamed chipped beef on biscuits.  

@LedZed66, lovely to see you!  Hope everything is going well.

Merry Christmas!!

16 hours ago, Electrophile said:

It may be Christmas Eve, but I found an open Starbucks for my bi-monthly coffee treat, so I'm having that with a couple of shortbread cookies and a bottle of water. I find drinking water along with the coffee staves off any caffeine headaches that might occur.

Had my first Peppermint Mocha in I don’t know how long, last night. Fantastic!

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Christmas Day Breakfast:

Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon. Toast and (Decaf)Coffee and OJ. 

Nice. We had scrambled eggs, air fried bacon, silver dollar pancakes, cinnamon raisin toast, coffee and cranberry mimosas. Merry Christmas CP and Mrs CP! 

52 minutes ago, ebk said:

I'll be over (and bring my own full-strength coffee!).  Love smoked salmon and eggs!!

We're having creamed chipped beef on biscuits.  

@LedZed66, lovely to see you!  Hope everything is going well.

Merry Christmas!!

Happy Holidays to you and Mr ebk! Haven’t had chipped beef in a long while…used to be a staple when I lived in upstate NY. 

For dinner tonight…prime rib with roasted potatoes, steamed green beans and dinner rolls. Apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. 

3 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Marzipan poppy seed cake (made by my mother-in-law)

Christmas day dinner: 🎄
Potato dumplings, red cabbage, roasted duck and Champagne

Nice to see you again! Hope all is well! :wave: 

@Walter @ebk

I hope you all well and slightly stuffed after Christmas?

Nothing for lunch really. This evening will be left over Guinea Fowl, Pork Pie, Salad and dips. Wine and a few joints as we only had a couple of glasses with dinner and none in the evening. Golf tomorrow

Edited by chillumpuffer