BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

I was standing in line at the grocer. This picture explains the North American diet, now we understand why so many small elephants are walking around passing for humans…Why am I paying for other people’s healthcare again? When I looked around, I noticed other lines with shopping carts filled the same way, with all sorts of garbage. It made me sad that in a time when it has never been easier to cook for yourself, people are living off this:

post-4074-0-59716700-1359341279_thumb.jp

I was standing in line at the grocer. This picture explains the North American diet, now we understand why so many small elephants are walking around passing for humans…Why am I paying for other people’s healthcare again? When I looked around, I noticed other lines with shopping carts filled the same way, with all sorts of garbage. It made me sad that in a time when it has never been easier to cook for yourself, people are living off this:

Well, to be fair - it is Diet Coke! lulz

Right. Because people in England never drink sodas/cokes/colas/soft drinks. :rolleyes:

Look, I applaud you and chillumpuffer's exemplary diet. You have embraced the spirit of this thread completely with your mouth-watering descriptions of your latest home-cooked repast. I especially look forward to CP's posts, as we seem to be on the same wavelength...we both love seafood and spicy foods. I've learned a couple new interesting preparations for fish reading his posts.

But with globalization and the far-reach of multinationals, including the British company Tesco, to pretend that obesity is only a North American problem is living with blinders on. You cannot fool me...I've been to the UK and Europe and you two are in the minority. There are just as many elephants waddling the aisles of Tesco and SuperValu, their carts stuffed with cokes, cheesy puffs, crisps, and all manner of over-salted, over-sugared, and over-processed 'food'...basically, anything in the yellow food group...as there are in America.

Besides, that photo doesn't really tell us anything about the context...that cart full of soda could be for a party or some event. Maybe that person's employer sent them to buy supplies for an office party or some function?

Had a mexican breakfast today: Machaca and eggs and avocados. Coffee and juice.

Right. Because people in England never drink sodas/cokes/colas/soft drinks. :rolleyes:

Look, I applaud you and chillumpuffer's exemplary diet. You have embraced the spirit of this thread completely with your mouth-watering descriptions of your latest home-cooked repast. I especially look forward to CP's posts, as we seem to be on the same wavelength...we both love seafood and spicy foods. I've learned a couple new interesting preparations for fish reading his posts.

But with globalization and the far-reach of multinationals, including the British company Tesco, to pretend that obesity is only a North American problem is living with blinders on. You cannot fool me...I've been to the UK and Europe and you two are in the minority. There are just as many elephants waddling the aisles of Tesco and SuperValu, their carts stuffed with cokes, cheesy puffs, crisps, and all manner of over-salted, over-sugared, and over-processed 'food'...basically, anything in the yellow food group...as there are in America.

Besides, that photo doesn't really tell us anything about the context...that cart full of soda could be for a party or some event. Maybe that person's employer sent them to buy supplies for an office party or some function?

Had a mexican breakfast today: Machaca and eggs and avocados. Coffee and juice.

FYI Strider, CJW is from N. America he lives in the great white north.

Canadian Bacon, Eggs, American cheese on an English Muffin, I hope the French aren't offended. Tomorrow I'll order a Baguette.

FYI Strider, CJW is from N. America he lives in the great white north.

Canadian Bacon, Eggs, American cheese on an English Muffin, I hope the French aren't offended. Tomorrow I'll order a Baguette.

You are so right...I got him confused; he sounds like a Brit sometimes. Whether he takes that as a compliment or a slur is up to him. ;)

For lunch today I had one kiwi, one avocado, strawberries, blueberries, spoon full of cinnamon, and not from concentrate non-pasteurized orange juice thrown in the blender machine! It was delicious and filling

post-4074-0-71265800-1359419676_thumb.jp

What are you, on the Ashton Kutcher diet? Hahaha

What are you, on the Ashton Kutcher diet? Hahaha

I eat mostly Lao and Thai stuff because the Mrs is from that part of the world. And I eat a lot of North American veggies and fruits and drink lots of water.

I believe that our bodies are a gift, and we should treat them as such. I have children who are active, and I want to be able to play soccer, go on longs hikes, kayak, ski, and ride bicycles with them as they continue to age, which means as I continue to age I must ensure that my body is treated right otherwise I will be some old guy with a belly who sits around watching television with nothing to do because I'll be unable to do anything.

I eat mostly Lao and Thai stuff because the Mrs is from that part of the world. And I eat a lot of North American veggies and fruits and drink lots of water.

I believe that our bodies are a gift, and we should treat them as such. I have children who are active, and I want to be able to play soccer, go on longs hikes, kayak, ski, and ride bicycles with them as they continue to age, which means as I continue to age I must ensure that my body is treated right otherwise I will be some old guy with a belly who sits around watching television with nothing to do because I'll be unable to do anything.

Um, it was a jest...

Look, I applaud you and chillumpuffer's exemplary diet

I am hardly a paragon of virtue when it comes to my diet and lifestyle.

I eat meat and enjoy the fat of a good steak, crackling on pork and skin on chicken :o

I do enjoy the odd Pizza, in fact due to me being out all day and Mrs CP's news (see unhappy thread) we had no time to cook and we induldged in the crispy tasty. I am lucky as I work from home so can buy fresh and have the time to cook. I never condone the way people eat, although the doctrine of fresh/prepacked food is a no brainer.

I have never liked sugary sodas. I was never brought up with them. I was interested in Striders menu for the Superbowl on Sunday. All looks great with the exception of Bacon Brownies and Gloop - sorry man.

I smoke :o - a few roll ups and of course herbs which my down under friend suggested it caused my SAD - sorry Slave it dosen't. I drink wine - not every night and have an aversion to drinking water - don't like it. Of course I drink tea and eat plenty of fruit and veg so I suspect I get my 2 litres.

What is a big worry in this country and I suspect in North America is obesity and diabetes. I was born in 1961 and growing up you hardly ever saw really fat people. There must be a link between diet and the epedemic of obesity. My view is that if you eat balanced diet, full of fresh food,fruit and veg with carbs,protein in unison then you can control your weight and enjoy food in the way it should be eaten.

Anyway breakkie today was a bowl of cereal, bowl of blueberries and natural yogurt. Glass of OJ half a red grapefruit - AGAIN

Edited by chillumpuffer

CP big part of the Obesity problem in the UK is the fact that we have Central heating, but have not modified eating habits.

Like you i was born in the 60's, when the only form of heating in most homes was a coal fire in the living room, so yer we ate a lot of fats, which we burned off trying to keep warm. Plus doing a lot of walking, and not stuck in front of some Electronic Device.

For most of us the only time that take away was eaten was on a Friday (Fish Night), now days you see loads of Mums shoveing 'MACSHIT' at their Children rather than making them a health snack, I sometimes feel that cooking a meal from scratch for a lot of young people is way too much effort..

Bowl of Fruit 'N' Fibre for Breakfast with Skimmed Milk... With a Coffee (Decaf)

CP big part of the Obesity problem in the UK is the fact that we have Central heating, but have not modified eating habits.

Like you i was born in the 60's, when the only form of heating in most homes was a coal fire in the living room, so yer we ate a lot of fats, which we burned off trying to keep warm. Plus doing a lot of walking, and not stuck in front of some Electronic Device.

For most of us the only time that take away was eaten was on a Friday (Fish Night), now days you see loads of Mums shoveing 'MACSHIT' at their Children rather than making them a health snack, I sometimes feel that cooking a meal from scratch for a lot of young people is way too much effort..

Bowl of Fruit 'N' Fibre for Breakfast with Skimmed Milk... With a Coffee (Decaf)

MACSHIT Ha. Yes it never fails to amaze me that whatever time of day you go past these places there are always people inside. 11 am tons of people inside, 3 pm same 10 pm yep full.

When I was growing up I had 3 meals a day. On the weekend I would play sport and at lunchtime my mum would always have a homemade lunch , I always remember things like Steak & Kidney Pud or Hot Pot or salad in the summer. Friday was Fish and Chips night - ha I remember that.

I suppose we were lucky. My mum was a housewife and a great cook too. Pre packaged junk crap was not a sight in our house. I always remember a pantry - full of goodies and the smells wafting from her Kitchen. MY mum was born in 1925 and when she brought me and my brother and sister up she knew what to do with fresh food. I suppose the pre war rationing had a lot to do with it? And your sad but true observation about young people cooking from scratch being way too much effort, is indicative of a "can't be arsed" culture.

MACSHIT Ha. Yes it never fails to amaze me that whatever time of day you go past these places there are always people inside. 11 am tons of people inside, 3 pm same 10 pm yep full.

When I was growing up I had 3 meals a day. On the weekend I would play sport and at lunchtime my mum would always have a homemade lunch , I always remember things like Steak & Kidney Pud or Hot Pot or salad in the summer. Friday was Fish and Chips night - ha I remember that.

I suppose we were lucky. My mum was a housewife and a great cook too. Pre packaged junk crap was not a sight in our house. I always remember a pantry - full of goodies and the smells wafting from her Kitchen. MY mum was born in 1925 and when she brought me and my brother and sister up she knew what to do with fresh food. I suppose the pre war rationing had a lot to do with it? And your sad but true observation about young people cooking from scratch being way too much effort, is indicative of a "can't be arsed" culture.

My mum was the same always cooked good food, I am 1 of six children, only Dad worked, so Mum would have to be quite inventive to stretch the meals to feed 8 of us.

Never had a shop bought cake in our house..

Today it is more about the Latest phone and Designer Cloths to pose with in the Shopping Center..

Think i'll Make my own Burgers for Dinner tonight...

with the exception of Bacon Brownies and Gloop - sorry man.

That caused my jaw to drop as well. It sounds horrible

I was born in 1961 and growing up you hardly ever saw really fat people.

Same here, growing up in the Dominion you would seldom see fat people. In fact being fat was something to be embarrassed about and corrected - not something to celebrate. If you were fat growing up in the 70’s it was because you were a social misfit who had friendship issues.

Growing up in the 70’s, people in the colony would think of it as an America problem. I think little elephants began walking among us in significant numbers perhaps 20 years ago in my neck of the woods. People were not being active, began eating lots of corn syrup, and loading up on soda, and the of course the fast food is enough to make me throw up. The lines of people standing at MacDonald's and Pizza Joints are like cattle being led to the slaughter. I generally feel bad for them because they are taking the one life they have been given and are throwing it away.