BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Oh my god. Just had one of the best burritos of my life for lunch just now. BBQ Birria(goat), rice, beans, onions, cilantro, peppers, avocados, hot sauce. At a place I hadn't been to in years...well, I'm definitely going back soon.

Tom Kha Kai or Tom Yum style?

Tom Yum Styleee. I made a proper Tom Yum Khung (Prawns) last weekend and had the bits left over.

I think it's the aspartame that has been banned in many countries. It's a derivative of formaldehyde. Pretty bad!

I didn't realize how bad aspartame was until a couple of years ago; and gave it up completely. No more diet soda either (haven't had regular soda in about 10 years). The last holdout is splenda in my coffee, but I'm trying to switch to agave. (not really crazy about it though; don't like real sugar in coffee either).

I think it's the aspartame that has been banned in many countries. It's a derivative of formaldehyde. Pretty bad!

Here's the inforation that i gleaned from doing some a little resaerch on te subject of aspratame. Aspratame contains 10% methanoI in it 's formula. Unlike ethanol, methanol is a poisonous alcohol that is metabolized as formaldehyde.

The bann on aspartame is in children's food products.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1671821,00.html

Here's the inforation that i gleaned from doing some a little resaerch on te subject of aspratame. Aspratame contains 10% methanoI in it 's formula. Unlike ethanol, methanol is a poisonous alcohol that is metabolized as formaldehyde.

The bann on aspartame is in children's food products.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1671821,00.html

Thanks for the info. Still might be good to stay away from this.

Going to make Swedish Meatballs this afternoon.

Since the daughter is a vegetarian I had to devise a meatless meatball for her. Came up with this mix: finely minced onion, mushroom and garlic sauted. Added little thyme, salt, pepper, faux bacon bits, and mashed garbonzo beans. Add a little bread crumbs, egg to bind and olive oil.

Last night went to a real good Italian restaurant near by. So many good ones in the NYC area. Anyway had Spedino (breaded housemade mozzarella, which is pan fried than baked with capers in a light brown wine sauce). Pretty unbelievable. Check it here:

http://www.foodspotting.com/places/398114-osteria-romana-norwalk/items/615141-spedino-alla-romana

This is the restaurant, where I had it.

Also had Saltimbocca (veal scallopini with prosciutto and sage in a light wine sauce. Also very good, Bread on table with roasted garlic in olive oil. Plenty of Montalcino red wine to wash all of this down.

Went to Z Grille tonight in downtown St Pete. Had an assortment of deviled eggs - one barbeque flavored, one with avacado, citrus, jalepeno and bacon, one with wasabi and salmon. Then a salad with aspargus, roasted red peppers and tortilla strips. Then sea bass over a goat cheese and arugula risotto. Soooooooo good.

And there was dessert - salted caramel cheesecake spring rolls (really), and my husband had a chocolate creme brulee made with Mexican cocoa. Unbelievably fabulous.

And (yes, there's more!) - it was half price bottles of wine tonight. Score!!!! :D

A very nice bwunch: 2 sausages, slice of black pudding, slice of garlic bread as toast, 2 grilled tomatoes, some fried potatoes (not many), mushrooms fried in butter, and a Keira. With English mustard & ketchup. And a cup of tea.

Shouldn't that be bwack pudding and garlic bwead and fwied potatoes?

Possibly the finest meal eaten by anyone, ever.

I got about £30 worth of fillet beef the other night, for £3. So tonight we had some of it - well, a lot, actually - as steak, topped with a Keira, with chunky home-made chips, mushrooms fried in butter, beer-battered onion rings, green beans. Frikkin AWESOME.

I wish you could all have tasted it, I really do. Never mind.

I tried a Google...but what is a Keira? Only found the actress Keira Knightley.

I've kind of been eating like a rabbit lately to shed the winter pounds, but I woke up today with a craving for sausages. So, along with a bowl of fruit...orange slices, bananas, berries...I had some bangers and a couple of eggs over easy. Four glasses of water...because I know Charles would want to know. ;)

Tuesday night, we ate at Red Mesa Cantina in St Pete. It was Tequila Tuesday, so the house margarita was only $4 - yay!

We had the chips and dip - a dish of black bean, a dish of guacamole and a dish of spicy queso. The bean was fine, the other two were fabulous. I had the skirt steak with a rice/bean combo and sauteed zucchini, carrots and red peppers - yum! My husband had pork enchilladas with the rice/bean combo. He loved them. Dessert was an apple empanada for him and dulce de leche gelato for me.

I'd go back - and we can walk there from our hotel!

Last night, we went to Sidebern's. We ate there last year for the first time. Couldn't wait to go back this year.

I had:

Appetizer-

Hamachi 'Nicoise'smoked trout roe, quail egg, olive, tomato 'raisins', capers

Shared this with John:

Beet Saladarugula, apple, almond, buttermilk blue cheese, aged balsamic

Entree-

Brook Troutcrushed potatoes, radish, king trumpets, goat's milk bearnaise

Dessert-

French Toastbanana bread, peanut butter swirl ice cream, huckleberry, brown butter

There was wine. It was a lovely dinner!!

Tonight, we had wood fired pizza. At a place called, appropriately enough, Wood-Fired. Quite enjoyable!

Tomorrow, the piece de resistance - Bern's. Can't wait.

^^^

I've been loving your menu updates, E! Keep up the good work. The brook trout and beet salad sounds especially yummy, and of course you know what a french toast man I am, so that french toast banana bread is right up my alley. :drool:

Edited by Strider

Grilled cod with black rice and sweet potatoes and cucumber salad. Iced tea and water. Should have left it at that, but then I was bad and had dessert. I just couldn't resist having a slice of lemon cake.

post-1470-0-73135500-1363422847_thumb.jp