BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

I made my first brisket yesterday.

It's even better the second day! Along with boiled potatoes and vegetables.

I loooooove brisket!!

Last night my friend Erin came over and cooked us dinner - chicken parm. It was yummy!! Tonight, I'm having leftovers...yay!

Love Brisket too. Slow roasted for 4 hrs it just melts.

600 calorie day today. Breakkie was a few bran flakes, low fat natural yoghurt, fresh Mango, half a red grapefruit. Lunch a white flesh nectarine and a tangerine.Dinner this evening: Grilled smoked haddock filet, roast veggies: Butternut squash,courgette,red pepper and portabello mushrooms. Green tea.

We are now 6 weeks ( i think) into this 5:2 diet. Mrs CP has lost 8 lbs ( she is 9 stone 10 lbs) and I am now 12 3/4 stone. The lowest I have been for a few years. Sans alcohol on weekdays and no rubbish on the other days we don't do the calorie days. Can't believe how easy it is to shed the pounds.

You know what would taste good with brisket? A Rioja.

Now, like Zinfandels, I tend to drink Riojas relatively young...aged a few years in bottle, five or six at most. My motto is 'wine is for drinking, not for sleeping'.

But recently I had an occasion to have a Rioja that was aged quite a bit...had it with lamb...and it was marvelous. I made a note of the bottle served and then found it this past weekend at Ralph's for $15(with my club card discount).

chillumpuffer, and all other Rioja enthusiasts, get your hands on a bottle of 2005 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Reserva. A blend of 84% Tempranillo with 13% Garnacha and 3% Mazuelo, it is a wonder on your tongue. Truly delicious.

It lists for around $25, but like I said, I got it at Ralph's market for $15-$16...and I've seen it at similar prices at Vons and Gelson's. Not sure about the European and UK markets and what their pricing policies are. It doesn't have to travel as far to those countries, so I would assume it would be cheaper than in the U.S.

You know what would taste good with brisket? A Rioja.

Now, like Zinfandels, I tend to drink Riojas relatively young...aged a few years in bottle, five or six at most. My motto is 'wine is for drinking, not for sleeping'.

But recently I had an occasion to have a Rioja that was aged quite a bit...had it with lamb...and it was marvelous. I made a note of the bottle served and then found it this past weekend at Ralph's for $15(with my club card discount).

chillumpuffer, and all other Rioja enthusiasts, get your hands on a bottle of 2005 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Reserva. A blend of 84% Tempranillo with 13% Garnacha and 3% Mazuelo, it is a wonder on your tongue. Truly delicious.

It lists for around $25, but like I said, I got it at Ralph's market for $15-$16...and I've seen it at similar prices at Vons and Gelson's. Not sure about the European and UK markets and what their pricing policies are. It doesn't have to travel as far to those countries, so I would assume it would be cheaper than in the U.S.

Righto S. I will report back if I can find it. This blend of Rioja is truly superb. As I mentioned before this is the type of Rioja grown in the Alta region along with my my all time fav Bodegas Navajas. I regularly buy their wines and I have never once drunk a bad bottle. Arjona is a named bottle from this Bodega and their Crianzas and Reservas are top notch. And as far as travelling is concerned it don't mean shit. We tax everything very highly in the UK, especially alcohol.

Just found it £17.22 bottle.Which is about $25. Expensive. The Arjona I buy weighs in at £7.25, or about $11 bottle from my village wine merchant. I am currently drinking the 2011 vintage and its fantastic.

Mrs CP would be not happy if I buy wine at that price man. She dosen't really drink red

Nice suggestion on the Rioja, Strider. May have to seek one of those out. Haven't been drinking much for Spanish reds lately. Mostly Italian, French and US as of late. How I've overlooked those as of late. Will probably pick one up shortly!

My views on Spanish wine are well known of the foodie thread. I suggest Superdave you get re introduce to the country. I am a red wine drinker and over the years have fallen in and out of love with all countries. But all producers have a trick up their sleeves and produce quality wine from indigenous grape varietals.

Off the top of my head I can recommend these reds from a few countries some predictable some not so.

OZ: Shiraz/Cab Sav. Avoid anything from the biggies: Nottage Hill,Lehmans,etc. They are all under a big company and produce muddy average stuff. Single estate vinyards that are privately owned are making big waves. The Lodge Hill Shiraz and Shriraz/Cab by Jim Barry is wonderful stuff. Most of the wines we see here are from South Oz but some Victorian wines are also good

New Zealand: Oh Boy now we are talking Pinot Noir. I have drunk so many from the Otago region and I can say none dissapoint. One wine we had was so good it never touched the sides.

Chile: Cab Sav. Koyle,Medalla and Waiki are all good choices. They do some Pinot but it is expensoive here and not a patch on NZ

South Africa: More whites than reds but their big grape Pinotage is heavy on the alcohol but can be great. Kanankop is well known but again single estate vinyards are producing good Cab savs as well.

Lebanon: not only does it produce my all time fav smoke it also produces top notch red. Chateau Musar in the Baaka Valley is the flagship wine and it is great

France: Oh dear not for me I'm afraid. Unless you have deep pockets and buy top notch Bordeaux or Pinots from the Loire, the country offers nothing of note. A friend lived near Perpignan in the South West of the country and the Fitou wine was at best average. I hate Champagne - over rated headache material.

Italy: Not a country I drink a lot of. Maybe I should make it a priority this summer

Edited by chillumpuffer

My views on Spanish wine are well known of the foodie thread. I suggest Superdave you get re introduce to the country. I am a red wine drinker and over the years have fallen in and out of love with all countries. But all producers have a trick up their sleeves and produce quality wine from indigenous grape varietals.

Off the top of my head I can recommend these reds from a few countries some predictable some not so.

OZ: Shiraz/Cab Sav. Avoid anything from the biggies: Nottage Hill,Lehmans,etc. They are all under a big company and produce muddy average stuff. Single estate vinyards that are privately owned are making big waves. The Lodge Hill Shiraz and Shriraz/Cab by Jim Barry is wonderful stuff. Most of the wines we see here are from South Oz but some Victorian wines are also good

New Zealand: Oh Boy now we are talking Pinot Noir. I have drunk so many from the Otago region and I can say none dissapoint. One wine we had was so good it never touched the sides.

Chile: Cab Sav. Koyle,Medalla and Waiki are all good choices. They do some Pinot but it is expensoive here and not a patch on NZ

South Africa: More whites than reds but their big grape Pinotage is heavy on the alcohol but can be great. Kanankop is well known but again single estate vinyards are producing good Cab savs as well.

Lebanon: not only does it produce my all time fav smoke it also produces top notch red. Chateau Musar in the Baaka Valley is the flagship wine and it is great

France: Oh dear not for me I'm afraid. Unless you have deep pockets and buy top notch Bordeaux or Pinots from the Loire, the country offers nothing of note. A friend lived near Perpignan in the South West of the country and the Fitou wine was at best average. I hate Champagne - over rated headache material.

Italy: Not a country I drink a lot of. Maybe I should make it a priority this summer

Not sure if they are available where you are, but there are some very good Virginia wines too! :)

Bowl of grape nuts with blueberries and bananas and milk.

:thumbdown: onTrader Joe's vegan noodle boxes. I tried the kung pao and YUCK. Tasted awful, and was really weird to prepare.

I have never understood the love affair people have for Trader Joe's. When they finally opened one up in NYC, you would have thought the Martians were landing. It is very hit-and-miss, in my experience.

Edited by Strider

Bowl of grape nuts with blueberries and bananas and milk.

I have never understood the love affair people have for Trader Joe's. When they finally opened one up in NYC, you would have thought the Martians were landing. It is very hit-and-miss, in my experience.

Most of the stuff I've tried has been great, but not the noodles. Our TJs opened last fall and it's really difficult to get in and out of. There seems to be a trend with new shopping centers (in VA at least) to not have the store actually facing the road :blink: From the road, we see the back, which bumps right up against the sidewalk. Parking lots are hidden from the highways by the backs of the stores. And there are very few entrances. Very weird, and not very Virginian.

But back on topic...dinner was homemade pizza.