BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

A recipe I thought I would share for Thanksgiving...actually, I enjoy making this all year-round.

One of my most treasured and used cookbooks is The Bread Bible, and it was in this book that I discovered a scrumptious recipe for pumpkin bread and it has been my go-to recipe ever since. A warm, toasty slice slathered with cream cheese works miracles on a cold morning or evening.

CREAM SHERRY PUMPKIN BREAD

Servings: Makes three loaves

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar

1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar

3 2/3 cups fresh pumpkin puree or 29 ounces canned pumpkin puree

4 large eggs

1 cup nut oil (such as walnut, almond, or sunflower seed)

4 2/3 cups unbleached flour

1 tablespoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup cream sherry

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease three 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans.

2. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, pumpkin, eggs, and nut oil. With a whisk or mixer, beat until smooth; about one minute.

3. In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. With a large spatula, combine the wet and dry ingredients and beat until smooth.

4. Stir in the cream sherry; vigorously beat until thoroughly blended, about 1-2 minutes; the batter will be thick and fluffy.

5. Scrape the batter into the three prepared pans, filling each no more than 3/4 full. Bake immediately in the center of the oven for 65-75 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. The tops of the loaves will be crusty and a crack will run down the center.

6. Let stand for 5 minutes in the pans before turning the loaves out onto a rack, then turning right side up to cool completely.

7. When cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature overnight or for up to four days before serving.

Tandoori Chicken, Tarka Dal, Chapatis. Going to make my own breads this evening. Some red and white whine to go with it and a coffee sweet to finish

Whine? I never took you for the type, hehe.

In case you don't know, 'whine' is the American vernacular for your term 'whinge'. ;)

Breakfast and college football: turkey, brie cheese, and cranberry omelette, with a side of yams. Egg nog and coffee. And a tall, cool glass of water, natch.

Whine? I never took you for the type, hehe.

In case you don't know, 'whine' is the American vernacular for your term 'whinge'. ;)

Breakfast and college football: turkey, brie cheese, and cranberry omelette, with a side of yams. Egg nog and coffee. And a tall, cool glass of water, natch.

Don't whine on about it ;)

Lamb and sweet potato curry for din. Avec Chaps

It was a tremendous Pizza. One of the best we have eaten. Though it is as rare as hens teeth when we do.

Tonight's fayre:

Bombay Salmon Masala Curry, Plain Rice & chapatti

A fiery rich coconut curry with Salmon. Indian food can take the oily fish superbly.

Raspberry and amaretto creamy cakes to finish

No doubt when the mouth has been refreshed, some good wine and some smoke. In the papers this evening: A fluffy Maroc and some of my Kush

On the CP's menu this evening:

Dressed Crab on baby spinach with a seafood dressing

Rib Eye steak, home made chips. This involves boiling the chips for 10 mins in salted water, remove and freeze for 30 mins. Deep fry for 6 mins and dry and freeze again for 30 mins and a final fry until golden brown.

Selection of mustards

Chocolate truffle brownies

Wine and cheese. In the papers this evening some excellent white widow and some Maroc

As it's just me and PC using this thread I will carry on:

Tandoori Chicken. A Veg curry which I can't pronounce ( and I can't be arsed to go in the kitchen to copy it) some Nan Breads

A few glasses of white and a couple of biftas

Sorry if you feel abandoned, CP. It's just that my repasts post-Thanksgiving have been rather ordinary...nothing special to share on the forum. Some soups, some pizza and pasta, some tacos and burritos, some salads and sandwiches.

Nothing fancy or exotic.