BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Your forgiven man. A Jacket Potato is a baked potato. In it's skin. I do them by threading a skewer through the middle of the spud and bake in a hot oven for at least an hour. They come out really crisp on the outside but fluffy on the in. A bit like a burnt old rabbit. Cut in half, a drizzle of butter is a perfect way of eating the crispy delight. But if one want's to really do the humble Jacket some justice, scoop out the flesh leaving the crispy Jacket to cool slightly. Mix the potato with a crumbly cheese ( or any that you like), a few bits of onion and clove of garlic. Add an egg and a knobette of butter. Mix well. Spoon the mixture back in it's jacket and bake for a further 15 mins on a high temp in the oven until brown. Serve with Branston Pickle or a favourable relish of your choice. Marvellous. ;)

Nice Strider, I've been mashing and leaving the skins on forever. Tonight I'm cooking a meatloaf with mash and carrots. I'm from an Irish family, I have my grandmothers masher, to me it's the equivalent to having Jimmy's 59 Les Paul, or whatever year it was. That masher's been mashing potatoes since the 50's. Back then they made products to last, plus I always think of her when mashing.

I'm a little obsessive when it comes to mash potatoes. Such a simple dish, yet many don't have the touch..cheers.

After getting my "Celebration Day" tix, had a Chinese lunch. Nothing spectacular...most of the best and creative Chinese restaurants in L.A. are in Monterey Park and the San Gabriel Valley. Just a basic spicy stir-fry of shrimp, beef, zucchini, mushrooms, chili...with all the usual accoutrements. But my waitress was spectacular...sweet, attentive, able to anticipate all of my needs. The kind you rarely see anymore.

post-1470-0-29190100-1349998587_thumb.jp

Your forgiven man. A Jacket Potato is a baked potato. In it's skin. I do them by threading a skewer through the middle of the spud and bake in a hot oven for at least an hour. They come out really crisp on the outside but fluffy on the in. A bit like a burnt old rabbit. Cut in half, a drizzle of butter is a perfect way of eating the crispy delight. But if one want's to really do the humble Jacket some justice, scoop out the flesh leaving the crispy Jacket to cool slightly. Mix the potato with a crumbly cheese ( or any that you like), a few bits of onion and clove of garlic. Add an egg and a knobette of butter. Mix well. Spoon the mixture back in it's jacket and bake for a further 15 mins on a high temp in the oven until brown. Serve with Branston Pickle or a favourable relish of your choice. Marvellous. ;)

That sounds fantastic! And I'm starving at the moment...

Nothing better than pancakes and syrup in the morning.

:drool:

You are a wise man, Mr. Paul Carruthers.

Good morning! Did Friday even happen?

I hit the wall of exhaustion yesterday...four straight nights of concerts and staying out late finally caught up with me and I felt woozy and sluggish all day Friday. I actually fell asleep at the Hammer museum...I was sitting in a chair in the book store, reading and waiting for my friend to get back from her break. Next thing I know, I wake up and find I had nodded off and napped for 2 and a half hours...the cool thing was they just let me sleep, haha. But I knew then I had to forget about doing anything Friday night and just go home and go to bed.

With another concert and my nephew's birthday this weekend still to come, I needed to make sure I was refreshed and reenergized. So I cancelled all my Friday plans, which unfortunately meant missing Patti Smith's concert at the Wiltern.

But now it's Saturday morning and I feel like a new man. 12 hours of sleep will do that. To complete the restorative process I'm having breakfast at The Griddle Cafe, a marvelous place for breakfast...especially if you love pancakes and french toast.

I am having the Streusel pancakes and hot cocoa. Bon appetit!

post-1470-0-97305500-1350148766_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-40575200-1350148813_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-95974600-1350148864_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-05374300-1350148892_thumb.jp