BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Mrs CP has just made me a Ham,cheese,tomato and coleslaw sanga. Brilliant

I have just marinated some spare ribs for tonight which we will have at the bar with a glass and a bifta of Cali Orange ( which is now ready). Southern fried chicken and fries will curb those inevitable munchies which will follow more green. Bliss :D

Has anyone here eaten huacatay? That green Peruvian black mint herb, which, when made into a aji verde sauce and served with chicken or potatoes is soooooooo amazingly powerful and unbelivably unique.

Just one little miniscule dollop on your plate, has you thinking whoa! what is that, wtf is that flavour, what the hell is that???!!!!!

I love growing unusual vegies and herbs in my garden and hucatay is my latest magnificent freak.

I love it, both for eating and simply running my hands through the plants as I walk past.

Has anyone here eaten huacatay? That green Peruvian black mint herb, which, when made into a aji verde sauce and served with chicken or potatoes is soooooooo amazingly powerful and unbelivably unique.

Just one little miniscule dollop on your plate, has you thinking whoa! what is that, wtf is that flavour, what the hell is that???!!!!!

I love growing unusual vegies and herbs in my garden and hucatay is my latest magnificent freak.

I love it, both for eating and simply running my hands through the plants as I walk past.

Never heard of it. I have only tried one Peruvian herb and it did my nose in ;). What is the flavour/smell then C?

Lunch today: Houmous and a few cracked black pepper crackers. Some Driscoll Strawberries the size of a golf ball and unbelievably sweet and a dash of Greek Yoghurt

Edited by chillumpuffer

Never heard of it. I have only tried one Peruvian herb and it did my nose in ;). What is the flavour/smell then C?

I have honestly never tasted anything else like it. I couldn't even begin to describe it's unique taste. If I had to, i'd say a cross between mint, coriander. lime and basil, but that doesn't even begin to describe it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagetes_minuta

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/Peruvian-Huacatay-Salsa-Aji-De-Huacatay.htm

http://perufood.blogspot.com.au/2006/10/huacatay-indispensable-andean-herb.html

http://www.daringgourmet.com/2013/09/26/peruvian-aji-verde-sauce/

Google Huacatay and find some amazing recipes. Grow it alongside Kasey and also works as an insect repellent :D

Chums for dinner this evening. I have prepared an Indian ( shock) so on the bill of faye this evening:

Cardamon chicken kebabs. Thigh meat which has been marinating in, Greek yogurt, double cream, garlic and ginger and lashings of cardamon. These will be grilled and served with home made Riata ( cucumber, yogurt and mint dip) and a sweet chilli dip

Lamb shank curry. Oh boy. I can't describe the smells from the oven. This spicy offering is lamb shanks which have been marinated in spices and coconut cream overnight. Then the holy trinity of onions, garlic and ginger. Ground coriander and Kashmiri chilli powder, tomatoes and cashew nuts. This will be slow cooked for at least 3 hours.Totally and utterly delish.

Accompanied by a veg curry of red onion, sweet potato, green beans, carrots and tomatoes. Finished with Fresh coriander and garam masala.

Nan breads and pilau rice.

Desert of fresh mango and guava with vanilla ice cream.

Beers and wines on the patio and some Cali Orange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheesy Peas !!

I can't honestly say that CJW's plate would be a favorite in the CP's household. Cheese on salmon? :wacko:

Tonight Lamb Rogan Josh. Roti. :veryhot:

I decided to try it different. It was good actually, underneath the cheese was parsley, basil, and garlic with olive oil thrown in the mix