BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Of course you did, CJW. ;)

Here's another 'American thing' for you...a S'mores donut: toasted marshmallow, graham crackers, chocolate glaze. With a glass of milk. Mmmm.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140705_103323.jpg

That is the most vile looking "dinner" I have ever seen. This morning I had a bowl of blueberries and a handful of green grapes. I like ya Strider by the way, I find it interesting the food you are introducing us to,

Edited by Charles J. White

Jesus man, I believe Chalks would have to Kayak around Cow Bay for a month if any of that passed his 'norf and 'sarf ! Gross chunder there man!! ;)

Chillum,

Just the sight of it that food, was almost enough to make me go Kayak for a few hours in Strider's name. It was gross looking, but you have to admit, it was kinda funny!

Crikey! All this kerfuffle over a little donut? You'd think I was eating monkey brains or head cheese or marmite, hehe.

First of all, there seems to be a time mix-up...that was not my dinner, Charles. I don't eat donuts for dinner. It's strictly a morning thing for me, to go with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee for dunking. Fortunately, the bakery is right near one of the trailheads that lead into the mountains, so I went on a long hike after eating that scrumptious donut.

Donuts are one of those items that when bad they are execrable, but when fresh and made with care, are sinfully delightful and hit the spot. I'll give Whoopie Cat and CP a pass, as they live in countries with no donut tradition (and apparently no clue about S'mores either), but surely donuts and S'mores have made their way up north from the U.S. into Canada, Chalks? Berries and fruit and water are great on their own and I eat them more often than donuts. But every once in a while, nothing satisfies like a freshly made maple glazed or an apple fritter.

I know I am not the only American on this Forum...is there no one else that will defend the donut and the time-honoured tradition of making S'mores around a campfire? ;)

Arugula peach and goat cheese salad, baked chicken.

I may have outdone myself on this salad...wish you could taste this!!

Two questions planted:

1. Did you grill the peaches or use them freshly sliced?

2. What type of vinaigrette/dressing did you use, if any?

Crikey! All this kerfuffle over a little donut? You'd think I was eating monkey brains or head cheese or marmite, hehe.

First of all, there seems to be a time mix-up...that was not my dinner, Charles. I don't eat donuts for dinner. It's strictly a morning thing for me, to go with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee for dunking. Fortunately, the bakery is right near one of the trailheads that lead into the mountains, so I went on a long hike after eating that scrumptious donut.

Donuts are one of those items that when bad they are execrable, but when fresh and made with care, are sinfully delightful and hit the spot. I'll give Whoopie Cat and CP a pass, as they live in countries with no donut tradition (and apparently no clue about S'mores either), but surely donuts and S'mores have made their way up north from the U.S. into Canada, Chalks? Berries and fruit and water are great on their own and I eat them more often than donuts. But every once in a while, nothing satisfies like a freshly made maple glazed or an apple fritter.

I know I am not the only American on this Forum...is there no one else that will defend the donut and the time-honoured tradition of making S'mores around a campfire? ;)

Strider,

Donuts are found north of the 49 as well. But I honestly had never heard of a “s’mores” donut until now. Once in a while when sitting around a campfire we might have had a marshmallow or a hotdog.

I’m curious, are s’mores donuts something new or have they been around a while? And I’m also curious, if they are really popular? We have something disgusting in Nova Scotia called a “donair” which is very popular with people as well. I'm going to have to arrange for you to try a donair, I think you would love it because you seem very daring when it comes to foods

Strider,

Donuts are found north of the 49 as well. But I honestly had never heard of a “s’mores” donut until now. Once in a while when sitting around a campfire we might have had a marshmallow or a hotdog.

I’m curious, are s’mores donuts something new or have they been around a while? And I’m also curious, if they are really popular? We have something disgusting in Nova Scotia called a “donair” which is very popular with people as well. I'm going to have to arrange for you to try a donair, I think you would love it because you seem very daring when it comes to foods

Well, I haven't eaten any bull scrotums lately, but I do like to explore different cuisines...within reason, haha. I wonder if donairs are similar to cro-nuts, which is a donut crossed with a croissant? Or perhaps New Orleans' beignets?

The S'mores donut is new...I have only seen it at this new Kettle Glazed Doughnut shop that recently opened up in Hollywood, near the Hollywood Hills, I will ask them how popular it is with their customers. They also have some tasty blueberry donuts, as well as vanilla bean raspberry and Boston Cream. And of course, the maple bacon bar.

I will defend the donut and s'more to the death! Even though I'm not a fan of either... :D

Loved donuts as a kid, but now they make my teeth hurt (in a metaphorical sense). And I never camped, so there you go...

Absolutely!! It was always a treat to watch the donuts being made at Krispy Kreme, and there is a local donut shop that has a line of folks waiting to get in the door on Saturday mornings, even when the only donuts remaining are plain and chocolate glazed. It is well worth the wait! Of course, donuts are not the healthiest choice, so the older I get, the rarer the treat. And s'mores are a must have at anything that is remotely camping, even over a small fire in the backyard. I know some folks who have made them by roasting the marshmellows in the fireplace, I've not gone that far.

Or perhaps New Orleans' beignets?

Even better than donuts and s'mores, especially in New Orleans, and with a cafe au lait...ahhhh!

Too true Strider. No marshmallows here and Donuts are just too sweet for me. I will take exception to Marmite though - love it

Crikey! All this kerfuffle over a little donut?

I'll give Whoopie Cat and CP a pass, as they live in countries with no donut tradition

We have donuts here, but nothing elaborate, nor anywhere as much as you have in the States. We eat them more as a little snack mid afternoon and never for breakfast.

When I was in America a few years ago, I did have a weakness for Cinnabon's cinnamon rolls.

Actually it turned into more of an addiction :blush:

220px-Cinnamon_roll-Cinnabon.jpg

Are those peaches? They are very stubby looking.

I love peaches! :D

Yes. Funnily enough, and in keeping with the last few posts, they are called Donut Peaches. Spain grow millions of them and you can get them in yellow and white flesh. Now I have also seen Donut Nectarines. Beyond historic !! :D

Stir fry veggies and a grill cheese sandwich (It was a small portions of bread and cheese because it's so easy to put the weight on when eating cheese and bread). Also had 2 glasses of water before I ate the meal to help fill up.

Careful Chalks - one may wake up obese if you are not careful ;)

Don't worry...no donuts today Chalks and Chillum. Started the day with white acai peony tea and a white peach I picked up at the farmers market. Then went on an architectural walk around downtown, focusing on the Bradbury Building and the Broadway Theatre district. Only tenants can use the old elevators in the Bradbury, so that meant much climbing up and down stairs. Which built up my appetite for lunch.

Lunch was al fresco...Cuffie al nero di sepia ( squid ink pasta with saffron sole ragout ), spinach pesto and ciabatta bread, and a large bottle of water.

post-1470-0-43160400-1405154217_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-99329000-1405154259_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-12730600-1405154294_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-47754500-1405154336_thumb.jp

Browsed the aisles of a bookstore afterwards, and then the park before ascending the Spanish Steps up to Bunker Hill and the MOCA Museum and the Music Center. Wound my way thru Little Tokyo and back to the Broadway district. Stopped for dessert before getting on the subway. This place called Syrup makes their own version of a Ding Dong...rich and chocolatey.

post-1470-0-98054000-1405154843_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-99321300-1405154880_thumb.jp

Yes. Funnily enough, and in keeping with the last few posts, they are called Donut Peaches. Spain grow millions of them and you can get them in yellow and white flesh. Now I have also seen Donut Nectarines. Beyond historic !! :D

Okay thanks chillumpuffer! I actually saw some yesterday, but went for plain old peaches instead. I'm going to have to try them though!

Edited by lipslikecherries