BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

No spam?

Not today. I'm not a fan of Spam, but it makes a good pate. You just add cream cheese, diced green onions, onion powder, garlic powder, dill and liquid smoke to the Spam in a bowl. Blend the ingredients well, then shape it into a ball and place in the fridge to chill. Once it's set you roll it in chopped walnuts then serve with vegetable crudites and fancy crackers. This also makes a good spread for toasted bagels and a good tea sandwich filling. I use rye cocktail bread and skip the chopped walnuts, when I make tea sandwiches with this pate.

I can't recall ever having ingested Spam, but that's not to say I haven't.

Similar in taste and texture to anything else?

Is it similar to Hormel Deviled Ham? I had my share of that as a kid... didn't really float my boat as I recall.

I'm willing to give Spam a shot if it gets any decent food critic reviews.

I do remember seeing some cool Spam sculptures once...

A poached egg for breakkie. Tall glass of Tropicana OJ, slice of rye toast avec Marmite.

Dinner this evening is a Lamb shank curry. These little beauties have been marinating overnight in Greek Yogurt, Garlic, Ginger and Turmeric. When ready I will make a fiery masala and cook very slowly for 3 hours before coconut milk is added at the end to make a rich curry with Rotis to mop up this delicious North Indian delicacy

^^ Anybody who eats SPAM shouldn't be busting my chops about Doritos Locos Tacos!!! :P

:lol:

Nobody ever died from eating Spam. Not sure you can say the same about Taco Hell. Taco Bell happens to be owned by the YUM! Brands food corporation and they seem to be in the news every other month with some food poisoning outbreak. Just recently, they had problems in China.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/china/McDonalds-KFC-in-China-face-new-food-scandal/articleshow/38797100.cms

I can't recall ever having ingested Spam, but that's not to say I haven't.

Similar in taste and texture to anything else?

Is it similar to Hormel Deviled Ham? I had my share of that as a kid... didn't really float my boat as I recall.

I'm willing to give Spam a shot if it gets any decent food critic reviews.

I do remember seeing some cool Spam sculptures once...

I haven't had Spam in ages, jabe, not since I was in the Army.

It's funny, given the Monty Python sketch and its use of Finnish Vikings, you would think Spam had come from the Scandinavian countries, but I found out it was invented in 1937 by the same Hormel company that makes your canned Deviled Ham. It is a mix of cooked shoulder pork meat and ham and salt, water, sugar, and whatnot. It is generally sliced and fried or grilled like your other breakfast meats (ham, bacon, sausage). I cannot remember what it tastes like...a sort of bologna I guess. The word 'Spam' is generally thought to be a confluence of the words Shoulders of Pork and HAM or SPiced HAM.

Here in the U.S. it is considered a "white-trash" or lower-class food item, hence the jokes and the subsequent usage of the term "spam" to refer to the electronic junk mail that proliferates.

But, I was surprised to discover that stigma doesn't seem to exist elsewhere and how widespread the eating of Spam is around the world...Europe, England, Japan, Korea, China, Southeast Asia, even Israel. It is very popular in Hawaii among the Samoan population. Apparently, the spread of Spam is one of the lingering effects of the U.S. miltary's presence in the South Pacific and Hawaii in the 20th century.

Spinach salad with berries mixed in and greek yogurt for breakfast

For breakfast once again, spinach salad, mixed berries, and greek yogurt mixing it all up with a tall glass of water

Two breakfasts in one day, Charles?