Page, Plant, & Jones Press Conference: Friday, September 21

mstork

...yes!! The IT factor was there totally agree, Jimmy seriously looking HOT, slander, gorgeous, as ever, the Scarf so Classy and appropriate for the Occasion, shining little silver stars on Black...that is awesome...Great that Robert chose to wear the Goregous Blue, very warm and thoughtful, John Paul Jones very himself classy as usual, quite but great sense of humor this occasion...Robert, a classic Leo. I loved the way Robert laughed when he spoke about Jason falling sleep at the Wedding Reception, Robert's mannerism, laughter as he spoke about Jason's wedding, remined me of his famous scene from 1973 backstage The Song Remains The Same...that energy dialouge, I can't remember exactly, but you know what I mean...

I agree with you, PlanetPage, about them not used to being together, but I also think there were some points where you could tell they were long friends. I loved the way Robert's talks about Jason's wedding. It's not the first time he has told that story. I love when he tells it again and asks Jimmy this time if he remembered that. I was also moved how much they visibly care about Jason. It's very obvious and I loved that. I also agree how goregous Jimmy looked in his outfit. I also loved what he had to say about Rory Gallagher. It reminded me of the picture of them in the early 80s together. As I said before, I loved Jonsey 5 years/ 5 minuetes comment, as much as I loved Jimmy and Robert's reaction.

I agree, Ally, they are in a class by themseleves.

That sounds the photo that was taken around the time that the band announced Swan Song records, but I could be confusing that... all those y-e-a-r-s..

It is the James Fortune picture of them at the Riot in 1973. Swan Song began in '74. Jimmy has on the white satin Malcom Hall suit. I had always wondered if it was a press confrence to because in other pictures, there are many other people around.

Thanks SAJ for posting Dave Lewis' comments on the day and film viewing. Always love to read his accounts!

How COOL did Pagey look in the photos....all black, black scarf, black sunglasses. As was said before - he's poetry in motion!

Enjoyed what I've seen of the press conference (haven't seen the entire clip yet due to being away from home) Robert's usual wit coming through strong! Strider, I'm with you - don't think we've heard that many words from Jimmy or John Paul during Zep's heyday combined! 25 days and counting.....:)

.... I loved the way Robert laughed when he spoke about Jason falling sleep at the Wedding Reception, Robert's mannerism, laughter as he spoke about Jason's wedding,

Bobby said Jason went to bed...He did'nt say he was asleep.

I loved the Rory Gallagher question.. Probably my favorite question because comes out of left field.

To give an excellent, and overlooked musician some worldwide exposure and praise from one of his more recognized peers is a very good thing .. I thought Jimmy's response was very thoughtful.

This press conference does further point out how different their personalities really are.

Robert's answers are usually pretty long and have some obscure references.

John Paul's answers are usually very short, quirky one liners. Some are classic, some are odd.

You can see Page sit there, slowly grow impatient and just cut right to the chase.. "What did You all think of the concert"

They didn't seem uncomfortable together (Robert and JPJ) . They're just very different people.

An excellent press conference.

They didn't seem uncomfortable together (Robert and JPJ) . They're just very different people.

Seems to me that Page comes from a place of letting the music speak first and foremost, loudest and finally. No doubt he is in a don't get bit twice mode by the press who were not favorable early on.

I like how he refers to "our job" through the years and at the presser. Love the focus and faithfulness to purpose.

Robert reportedly told Patty that he will not hesitate to trot out the old lady when its right, when it is additive and stand alone from the work already done.

I also think the Irish Journalist's question would have been OK in a different forum, perhaps a one-on-one interview with Jimmy. The headline to his story is odd to me. "Led Zeppelin Tribute to Gallagher". That's quite a stretch, in my opinion.

After watching both recordings of the press conference, I have nothing but good feelings about it.

I know nothing of these men except for what I can glean from articles, books, interviews, etc. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Robert is very comfortable speaking to a large number of people, even if some of the questions may throw him off a bit. Jimmy is probably a little less comfortable, but speaks eloqently. John Paul probably hates it, hence the quick and quirky responses. The interviews I've read when John Paul is in a one-on-one are very good. Again, I am just basing this on an opinion.

Another thank you here to those who posted the conference, photo and TBL links.

wish I hadn't watched it. Kinda sad in a lot of spots. Please please don't tour fellas and let the O2 be the end.

Not sure what the heck you mean by sad, but they have given no indication of touring whatsoever so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah I'm kinda wondering where the sad "parts" happened as well. At first I thought there was a bit of tension (I now believe its more likely nerves rather than tension), but I got no sense whats so ever of anyone getting sad, even when asked about the usual touchy subjects.

As far as not touring??? I would love to have my cake and eat it to! (The O2 DVD/CD AND a tour!). I aint counting on it, but we can always hope. Hope aint a bad thing.

Sad?

In what way was it sad?

I believe in the saying that a friendship can be for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When they were on stage and making records back in the day they would rekindle an energy between them that came to life and made magic. The reason between them was the music and the season between them really ended when Bonham died. Yeah I know there have been some things along the way and the O2 was/and will most likely be the best of the bunch....But...watching the three of them up there with JPJ's lack lustre answers and Robert's wishing he could sit on the other side of Jimmy, and Jimmy's nervousness, and Robert grabbing his coat at the end and bolting made me kind sad to have had to sit through it. Just my thoughts. I love them and always will but had to say.....

Funny that they all misunderstood the question about the first song they played for the rehearsal.

That silly CNN guy was not too bright in asking a thinly disguised reunion question.

His one question that he chooses is one that they probably were all told not to ask, and that everyone knows the answer to.

Jimmy Page did well in answering the question in a way that avoided the awkward moment from getting awkwarder.

Thanks SAJ for posting Dave Lewis' comments on the day and film viewing. Always love to read his accounts!

Just in case there are any Londoners reading this who might not be aware...

Dave and the TBL crew are heading to the Westfield Vue on October 21st.

If you want to watch this movie in the midst of the most hardcore Zep fans around, this is the place to be!

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?p=16173

I believe in the saying that a friendship can be for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When they were on stage and making records back in the day they would rekindle an energy between them that came to life and made magic. The reason between them was the music and the season between them really ended when Bonham died. Yeah I know there have been some things along the way and the O2 was/and will most likely be the best of the bunch....But...watching the three of them up there with JPJ's lack lustre answers and Robert's wishing he could sit on the other side of Jimmy, and Jimmy's nervousness, and Robert grabbing his coat at the end and bolting made me kind sad to have had to sit through it. Just my thoughts. I love them and always will but had to say.....

I'm not going to invalidate your view point, because everyone has a right to their own VP no matter what. And I also thought at first there was tension between JPJ and Plant. After seeing the pictures, it looked like JPJ was standing away from the other two. But after watching the video a few times I think my initial observations were probably wrong. IMO it was a pretty standard news conference and the guys seemed to be having a fairly good time (maybe a little nervous, but they rarely gave press conferences even back in the day so thats understandable.) And I didnt think JPJ gave lackluster answers, in fact I thought he had the sharpest responses of them all, witty even. Also, Ive seen Robert "bolt" more than a few times in these kind of things, I wouldnt read to much into that IMO.

But...watching the three of them up there with JPJ's lack lustre answers and Robert's wishing he could sit on the other side of Jimmy, and Jimmy's nervousness, and Robert grabbing his coat at the end and bolting made me kind sad to have had to sit through it. Just my thoughts. I love them and always will but had to say.....

JPJ lacklustre? That's not how I read it at all - it's more of a very British and dry sense of humour that perhaps translates as disinterest to some non-Brits. The three of them seemed fine in each other's company - I really think some people are over-analysing sometimes. It was a rather moving press-conference; oh to have been there!

Jones is the same when he is doing interviews on his own. he tends to be more quiet and funny with little one liners and like many musicians they express themselves through the music. Page is similar. and Robert is how he has always been . i think if they had done these type of events when they were still together with Bonham they would have come across the same way.

at this event i thought they came across as getting along well. there were many moments when they would look at each other and smile.

i will say i don't think any of them are comfortable with doing these press things though.

JPJ lacklustre? That's not how I read it at all - it's more of a very British and dry sense of humour that perhaps translates as disinterest to some non-Brits. The three of them seemed fine in each other's company - I really think some people are over-analysing sometimes. It was a rather moving press-conference; oh to have been there!

that's a good way to describe it. if you have seen JPJ interviews by himself he comes off as the same way. it is the british humor. i don't know where the poster is from but i'm an american and there are many americans who misinterpret what is just dry sense of humour.

Totally.

Thanks FH for answering, I really was curious as to what your thoughts were.

I have watched the presser 3 times, for the mere fact that we have so rarely seen them speak together and really reveal some personal things as they usually are so very private.

I think we all were aware of how everyone must have struggled after John's death... Especially Jason. So hearing Robert's explanation of the struggle Jason has had and how Jason's playing the o2 helped the whole Bonham family was very touching and wonderful to hear.

I found the whole thing absolutely fascinating.

But I don't find it sad at all.

They clearly are all still fond of one another.

I missed some of the eye contact between the 3 on my first viewing, and it was great to see the comaraderie and humor there when I watched it again.

I also came away with a feeling of the deep respect and appreciation of each others, as well as Jason's, creative abilities.

They clearly know the legacy they have created and maintain together.

It couldn't have been easy for any of them to sit through all of the questions....knowing what everyone wants to ask, yet their charm and humor shown through.

I love them, too... It is really great thing and a testament to them that they have such loyal fans.

And it is awesome that we can come here and share our thoughts!

Peace and Cheers!

Archived