Led Zeppelin "Celebration Day" video/audio release.

BlackDog71

Actually, i've just listened to it all now and i'm pretty pissed off with the blu-ray audio version. They've cut out a heck of a lot of on-stage talk between the songs that were left in on the video release. It's clear Jimmy can't resist fucking about with a perfectly good live set. I can understand altering stuff for mistakes or copyright etc, but he's got rid of pretty much all of Plant talking in between tracks, for no good reason. All I wanted was the audio on the video blu-ray in a higher quality, but no, it's been butchered with. :mad:

Actually, i've just listened to it all now and i'm pretty pissed off with the blu-ray audio version. They've cut out a heck of a lot of on-stage talk between the songs that were left in on the video release. It's clear Jimmy can't resist fucking about with a perfectly good live set. I can understand altering stuff for mistakes or copyright etc, but he's got rid of pretty much all of Plant talking in between tracks, for no good reason. All I wanted was the audio on the video blu-ray in a higher quality, but no, it's been butchered with. :mad:

it's the same thing on the CDs..........I suppose for the audio they wanted the focus just on the music, you get all the banter on the video release, maybe they thought some of the banter didn't work without corresponding video and removed it for the CD and strictly audio versions.

maybe he is taking the tack that it's about the music? dunno.

One of the reasons I am hardcore bootleg is for the banter and mistakes and the moment captured. For some reason the bootleggyness of the Blu-ray audio is not on the official release.

Well if that's the case then why hasn't he removed all the banter? it's as if he's randomly cut bits out.

Well i've spliced together the missing bits on the blu-ray audio version from the video version. I am the splicing god yet again :D (I did this with TSRTS to restore the missing bits of No Quarter and Whole Lotta Love from the LP version to the Restored 2007 CD version, and that was a sucess too :D)

Well i've spliced together the missing bits on the blu-ray audio version from the video version. I am the splicing god yet again :D (I did this with TSRTS to restore the missing bits of No Quarter and Whole Lotta Love from the LP version to the Restored 2007 CD version, and that was a sucess too :D)

Did you also splice in that short segment from the jam section of WLL that is in the menu of the 2 DVD version of TSRTS ?

Did you also splice in that short segment from the jam section of WLL that is in the menu of the 2 DVD version of TSRTS ?

You mean the bit with The Crunge in it? I used the original pre-2007 CD for that, I haven't got the 2007 DVD. I had to use the pre-2007 NTSC DVD for the correct speed to fix the fill-in between Heartbreaker and Whole Lotta love, that was a bugger to import :grumble: I'm particularly proud of my work restoring the two cut-out keyboard interludes in No Quarter :D

If you listen to the show on a high end system or through headphones you'll notice a high pitched whine that wasn't removed exists on a lot of songs. This is cause by feedback with Roberts mic and monitors as they were both set to super hot so they literally pick up anay sound that's emitted around them. Some songs like no quarter you can tell they went and removed it others not so much. I assume they removed it when mixing / mastering but the vocals as a whole sounded weird without it so they removed it where they could without compromising the vocal....... Least that's the only explanation I can come up with

Yeah, the high-pitched whine is even more noticable on the HQ Blu Ray audio version than any others.

You mean the bit with The Crunge in it? I used the original pre-2007 CD for that, I haven't got the 2007 DVD. I had to use the pre-2007 NTSC DVD for the correct speed to fix the fill-in between Heartbreaker and Whole Lotta love, that was a bugger to import :grumble: I'm particularly proud of my work restoring the two cut-out keyboard interludes in No Quarter :D
Yes the bit with the Crunge, but there is a bit more to it. I have a fan edition version of TRTST known as the }{eywood mix. Here are his notes for WLL. Whole Lotta Love - The majority of the song is from the 2007 CD, but the missing Crunge section is patched from two sources. The first is 2007 DVD menu, and the second is from the original CD. There are also two sections in the jam before the theremin section and in the theremin section that are taken from the same DVD menus. The bulk of this song was recorded on the 27th, but those sections on the menus are from the 28th...and never before released on either the album or the film.

I never really missed the missing parts...the sound is just so much better on the 07 version...I had original on vinyl and sold it in early 90's The only missing thing I remember is The Crunge bit and for a while thought I imagined something that was never there...now I know it was...I think Page has mentiones he intends to restore this album again but cant recall where I heard it...way b4 remaster announcement in recent weeks....

I never really missed the missing parts...the sound is just so much better on the 07 version...I had original on vinyl and sold it in early 90's The only missing thing I remember is The Crunge bit and for a while thought I imagined something that was never there...now I know it was...I think Page has mentiones he intends to restore this album again but cant recall where I heard it...way b4 remaster announcement in recent weeks....

Well the only difference i can tell from the pre-2007 CD and the post 2007-CD, when mixing in the missing sections, is that there's a tad more treble in the pre-2007 ones, sounds a tad more tinny.

The only re-restoration i'd like is one which does not cut parts out, ideally not even for copyright reasons, as long as he credits the original authors of sections in the medley. Fixing parts by swapping in the same sections from different nights is alright if there's a major mistake, but no cuts please.

I am not an audiophile at all but I remember the first pressing of SRTS sounding really muddy I only listen in the car and on computer and usually i think remaster = scam but I thought the 07 one sounded much different..maybe losing my hearing a bit...I dont know..

maybe he is taking the tack that it's about the music? dunno.

One of the reasons I am hardcore bootleg is for the banter and mistakes and the moment captured. For some reason the bootleggyness of the Blu-ray audio is not on the official release.

Ditto, bootlegs are the only "real" music, show of the ability of the craftsmanship. However this (C D) is the very last time when we´ve got to chance to hear and see live Led Zeppelin. So maybe we must be pleased that we even got this one - with all it´s (some fixed) mistakes and cutouts. Perhaps we got - one day - "The Uncut Fan Version of The Celebration Day"? :accordian:So, now we just wait vinyl.

If you listen to the show on a high end system or through headphones you'll notice a high pitched whine that wasn't removed exists on a lot of songs. This is cause by feedback with Roberts mic and monitors as they were both set to super hot so they literally pick up anay sound that's emitted around them. Some songs like no quarter you can tell they went and removed it others not so much. I assume they removed it when mixing / mastering but the vocals as a whole sounded weird without it so they removed it where they could without compromising the vocal....... Least that's the only explanation I can come up with

While I don't consider my home theater system "high end" it is an excellent system. I have Paradigm Monitor 9 left/right, Paradigm Center 3, Paradigm Surround 3's and a Rythmik FV15 subwoofer powered by a Integra DTR40.2 receiver and Sony Blu Ray player and a 55" Sony Bravia LCD/LED tv. I have listened to the Blu Ray several times and I have not heard this whine your describing. Not saying it's not there but I have not heard it. And I listen to concerts and movies on Blu Ray and DVD at reference level or above (75+db).

Jeff

I just got my Celebration Day Blu-Ray yesterday. My biggest gripe so far is the stage back-drop. That big video screen is ugly and annoying. And to make a bad situation worse the director or editor or whatever decided to unrelentingly keep cutting directly to it instead of staying on the live performers.

the screen was his baby so of course he is going to fade/wipe/pan clip & cut to it- most of the time I felt like Caruthers stayed out of the way. Sometimes he was a little heavy on effect such that I felt like he was a 5th member of the performance.

Not in a bad way- just there.

I just got my Celebration Day Blu-Ray yesterday. My biggest gripe so far is the stage back-drop. That big video screen is ugly and annoying. And to make a bad situation worse the director or editor or whatever decided to unrelentingly keep cutting directly to it instead of staying on the live performers.

I've seen a lot of comments on the editing with reference to cutting to the back-drop screen. I think what people are commenting on is the edits to the 8mm footage (both 4:3 and 16:9) shot from the audience by Carruthers' crew which I can see being mistaken as screen footage when it's really not. (You can tell most of the time by the film's exposed sprocket hole(s) being visible at the left of these shots.) Still, I agree with the comments in that I find these extremely obvious low-def 8mm shots are glaring in contrast quality-wise for a few seconds here and there most of the time with the beautiful 1080 HD shots. Why they chose to use 8mm interwoven with the HD is beyond me as it doesn't do anything to enhance the style or the continuity of the show. I think the director's vision is that it will put the viewer "in the audience" with these POV shots when in fact most of the time takes the viewer out of the experience. These types of shots worked on the Led Zeppelin DVD because that was a nostalgic presentation of Zeppelin's days gone by and was culminated from what footage they could had at their disposal with the contrast between 1970's era standard definition video to 8mm not as obvious. To use the same editing style for a modern-day HD presentation is just silly.

That said, I still think Celebration Day exceeds expectations and is a great release otherwise.

Archived