Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page

WyldZeppelin

I am one of the fortunate ones to have a copy of this album, anyone else here lucky enough? Story goes like this, Epic released The Yardbirds Featuring Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page--a double album featuring their greatest hits, no Beck/Page cuts included, for those wondering. (Psycho Daisies, Happenings Ten Years Time Ago would've been nice. Stroll On featured Page on bass with Beck on lead. Only Page material was from Little Games--I have this one too--great collection of songs, but anyway, "strolling" away from my story. So then out comes Live Yardbirds... which Peter Grant was all over "we never authorized that!!", and within months the album was pulled, so available copies are very few and far between.

Anyway, for the few who may have this, you may agree--the Led Zeppelin transition is very evident. I'm Confused would later morph into Dazed and Confused, I'm A Man would display some of Jimmy's musical "creativity" which would also be evident later on in various live Zeppelin tracks. A stellar version of Shapes of Things featuring "Jimmy magic fingers on guitar" also accentuate this performance. If you can find a copy it is well worth the investment--experience a part of pre-Zep history, as we know what happen next as the Yardbirds closed one chapter in rock history and the New Yardbirds would open the next chapter.

I am one of the fortunate ones to have a copy of this album, anyone else here lucky enough? Story goes like this, Epic released The Yardbirds Featuring Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page--a double album featuring their greatest hits, no Beck/Page cuts included, for those wondering. (Psycho Daisies, (and their was another twin lead song which name escapes me), would've been nice. Stroll On featured Page on bass with Beck on lead. Only Page material was from Little Games--I have this one too--great collection of songs, but anyway, "strolling" away from my story. So then out comes Live Yardbirds... which Peter Grant was all over "we never authorized that!!", and within months the album was pulled, so available copies are very few and far between.

Anyway, for the few who may have this, you may agree--the Led Zeppelin transition is very evident. I'm Confused would later morph into Dazed and Confused, I'm A Man would display some of Jimmy's musical "creativity" which would also be evident later on in various live Zeppelin tracks. A stellar version of Shapes of Things featuring "Jimmy magic fingers on guitar" also accentuate this performance. If you can find a copy it is well worth the investment--experience a part of pre-Zep history, as we know what happen next as the Yardbirds closed one chapter in rock history and the New Yardbirds would open the next chapter.

I am lucky enough to have one as well! I also have it on CD, which isn't as valuable to me-(can find it on Amazon.com, etc.) but still a nice thing to own. I've only listened to the "used" album twice and I keep in it's plastic sleeve cover. Although, I do prefer to listen to vinyl over CD's, I wanna keep the chances of scratches to a minimum...So the disk gets played more often, unless it's special occasion.

I hear ya "Rock", that's why I only played mine a few times, once to hear, once to tape-but don't know where the tape went, didn't know it was available on cd-will have to look for it, I know someone else who wants a copy too

Well there was a cd but right after it was released (by Mooreland Street Records) Jimmy & his lawyers took legal action & it was pulled. You might be able to find one on Ebay, sometimes one shows up.

I hear ya "Rock", that's why I only played mine a few times, once to hear, once to tape-but don't know where the tape went, didn't know it was available on cd-will have to look for it, I know someone else who wants a copy too

Well there was a cd but right after it was released (by Mooreland Street Records) Jimmy & his lawyers took legal action & it was pulled. You might be able to find one on Ebay, sometimes one shows up.

Stargroves, you don't trust my advice...? It's not that hard to find.

Like I said....it's on Amazon.com. A little more now from when I got it a few years back. I purchased it new for about $20.00-22.00

http://www.amazon.co...e+and+yardbirds

Anyway-here it is

Amazon has one, quite pricey--wonder if it's still available, but worth it, also saw an awesome compilation which features all 3 Beck/Page songs, noticed all their original albums were also available on cd too, only original I don't have is For Your Love--had a chance to get it, didn't, then went back and it was gone, ain't seen one since. Has a picture of Jeff Beck on cover even though Eric Clapton played majority of guitars on the songs. But as mentioned above, although cd versions would be great to listen to, the actual album is where the value is..

Stargroves, you don't trust my advice...? It's not that hard to find.

Like I said....it's on Amazon.com. A little more now from when I got it a few years back. I purchased it new for about $20.00-22.00

http://www.amazon.co...e+and+yardbirds

Anyway-here it is

Hi RH,

Didn't think that Amazon still offered it- but that's great that they do!

I had ordered mine the day of release & then heard that Page had it blocked, but the Amazon page said that my copy had been shipped so I was happy- except that it never showed up. After 2 weeks I contacted Amazon & said I had never received it, they offered to send me another copy but when the rep checked her computer she saw that they were out of stock & no more would be shipped. I asked if they could put a trace on the package but the rep refused & gave me my money back. About a month later, I saw an Amazon box in front of my door (on a Sunday), and yes it was the Live Yardbirds cd. It had been delivered to another apt. that had been vacated around the time the cd was to arrive & sat there until the landlord discovered it.

Hi RH,

Didn't think that Amazon still offered it- but that's great that they do!

I had ordered mine the day of release & then heard that Page had it blocked, but the Amazon page said that my copy had been shipped so I was happy- except that it never showed up. After 2 weeks I contacted Amazon & said I had never received it, they offered to send me another copy but when the rep checked her computer she saw that they were out of stock & no more would be shipped. I asked if they could put a trace on the package but the rep refused & gave me my money back. About a month later, I saw an Amazon box in front of my door (on a Sunday), and yes it was the Live Yardbirds cd. It had been delivered to another apt. that had been vacated around the time the cd was to arrive & sat there until the landlord discovered it.

Stargroves, that kinda sucks that you had to go through that non-sense. At the end of the day, at least you got it though! I do know that the album itself is a rarity (much more than the CD)-you can find that pretty easily. And I agree that there is not a "bad" song on the whole disk. "Better Man than I" has some great guitar work. I'm a fan of "raw" sounding recordings, so that "garage/basement" sound, because it's Mono- not Stereo, makes it even more attractive to listen too.

There are multiple pressings of this album:

1. original 1971 vinyl album (Epic E 30615) -- withdrawn after a few weeks

2. pirate copy of 1971 album (Epic E 30615) -- has a black & white cover

3. 1975 vinyl reissue (Columbia Special Products P 13311) -- withdrawn after a few weeks

4. 2000 CD reissue (Mooreland Street MS-33068) -- limited to 1000 copies

The material has also been released on several bootlegs and compilations over the years.

There are multiple pressings of this album:

1. original 1971 vinyl album (Epic E 30615) -- withdrawn after a few weeks

2. pirate copy of 1971 album (Epic E 30615) -- has a black & white cover

3. 1975 vinyl reissue (Columbia Special Products P 13311) -- withdrawn after a few weeks

4. 2000 CD reissue (Mooreland Street MS-33068) -- limited to 1000 copies

The material has also been released on several bootlegs and compilations over the years.

I believe I have the original release, then.

Hi,

I don't have the original album but have it on a CDR, also floating around as a download with some other live Yardbirds tracks which are pretty poor quality. Quite a good concert, shame about the overdubbed audience noise, well worth getting if you find it in any format.

Andy

I've got the black and white cover, was told "good luck" finding the "colored version"--if you it's worth about 10 times than the black and white. I paid $20 for mine, which would be about $50 now, now with the repopularizing of the original vinyl releases, I'm sure the value will increase--can only imagine what the value of the original will be worth. but that depends on how sought after it becomes. I know it's off topic, but any idea what the Beatles "butcher cover" is worth. I went to a show in early 80s and it auctioned for $500, chatted with an old fan who's a Beatles collecter a few years later and told me it's worth was around $1200--hmmm, makes you wonder. Surprisingly amazon was selling vinyl version of Live Yardbirds for $350.

DAS-thanks dude-always looking to meet and share with more Zepheads!!

Surprisingly amazon was selling vinyl version of Live Yardbirds for $350.

That would actually be a private seller, selling via Amazon (you'd have to be insane or stupid to spend $350). I'm happy with my downloaded version(s)....Would only consider paying money for it if it was rereleased remixed without the cocktail lounge crowd noise and complete with the with the presently only available as audience tracks...otherwise it has no value....Imo..of course.

I've got the black and white cover, was told "good luck" finding the "colored version"--if you it's worth about 10 times than the black and white. I paid $20 for mine, which would be about $50 now, now with the repopularizing of the original vinyl releases, I'm sure the value will increase--can only imagine what the value of the original will be worth. but that depends on how sought after it becomes. I know it's off topic, but any idea what the Beatles "butcher cover" is worth. I went to a show in early 80s and it auctioned for $500, chatted with an old fan who's a Beatles collecter a few years later and told me it's worth was around $1200--hmmm, makes you wonder. Surprisingly amazon was selling vinyl version of Live Yardbirds for $350.

DAS-thanks dude-always looking to meet and share with more Zepheads!!

$350!! That is insane! There's an original vinyl pressing at the local record store for $78, if that gives you a rough estimate of how much it should be sold for

Is that the actual release or the reissued release, I agree-$350 is a lot to pay for something you haven't seen, that could be anything. I'd want to see it and verify what it was, even still $350 is a bit pricey, I'm not that avid a collector. I'm happy with my black and white copy, may try for a cd though

Is that the actual release or the reissued release, I agree-$350 is a lot to pay for something you haven't seen, that could be anything. I'd want to see it and verify what it was, even still $350 is a bit pricey, I'm not that avid a collector. I'm happy with my black and white copy, may try for a cd though

It's the actual 1971 release. They love it so much, it's hanging on the wall!

Just a little more info on this...

One major flaw is that Epic added canned audience applause and "clinking glasses" type restaurant/club sounds into the mix. It's really annoying - not so much during the in-between song periods, but during the actual songs. Whenever the band gets started, or whenever Page begins or finishes a solo, Epic put in that stupid applause. The result is quite cheesy.

That said, it's a fascinating and all-too-rare glimpse of what the Yardbirds sounded like when they really were becoming driven by Jimmy's guitar and style. And as the OP has said, some of it is downright eerie as a precursor to Zeppelin - especially if you listen to early '69 Zep boots, like the April 27 version of "As Long As I Have You," which includes "I'm a Man." There also are numerous isolated riffs on the Live Yardbirds album that will be quite familiar to all Zep fans.

Finally, while the original, color-cover LP is the most collectible, the 2000 CD reissue is the best-sounding IMHO. It uses an audience source to restore material lost by small but stupid cuts/edits from the original LP. And it claims the original LP's sound was EQ'd and remastered - and it does indeed sound better (based on the rips I've heard from the LP).

Finally, the LP and CD have slightly different tracks - one has two songs from the soundcheck, while the other has two different songs from another source.

Archived