Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page

WyldZeppelin

Just a little more info on this...

One major flaw is that Epic added canned audience applause and "clinking glasses" type restaurant/club sounds into the mix. It's really annoying - not so much during the in-between song periods, but during the actual songs. Whenever the band gets started, or whenever Page begins or finishes a solo, Epic put in that stupid applause. The result is quite cheesy.

That said, it's a fascinating and all-too-rare glimpse of what the Yardbirds sounded like when they really were becoming driven by Jimmy's guitar and style. And as the OP has said, some of it is downright eerie as a precursor to Zeppelin - especially if you listen to early '69 Zep boots, like the April 27 version of "As Long As I Have You," which includes "I'm a Man." There also are numerous isolated riffs on the Live Yardbirds album that will be quite familiar to all Zep fans.

Finally, while the original, color-cover LP is the most collectible, the 2000 CD reissue is the best-sounding IMHO. It uses an audience source to restore material lost by small but stupid cuts/edits from the original LP. And it claims the original LP's sound was EQ'd and remastered - and it does indeed sound better (based on the rips I've heard from the LP).

Finally, the LP and CD have slightly different tracks - one has two songs from the soundcheck, while the other has two different songs from another source.

So which has what regarding the LP and CD releases?

I've got the black and white cover, was told "good luck" finding the "colored version"--if you it's worth about 10 times than the black and white. I paid $20 for mine, which would be about $50 now, now with the repopularizing of the original vinyl releases, I'm sure the value will increase--can only imagine what the value of the original will be worth. but that depends on how sought after it becomes. I know it's off topic, but any idea what the Beatles "butcher cover" is worth. I went to a show in early 80s and it auctioned for $500, chatted with an old fan who's a Beatles collecter a few years later and told me it's worth was around $1200--hmmm, makes you wonder. Surprisingly amazon was selling vinyl version of Live Yardbirds for $350.

DAS-thanks dude-always looking to meet and share with more Zepheads!!

I've bought and sold both the B/W and colored versions many times over on eBay. They used to be slightly elusive/not quite rare to find and yes the price was roughly ~$40.

The lilac colored LZIV was a different story....

I know the cd has the 2 somgs from the soundcheck but I never knew that there are 2 songs that are different between the lp & cd- please let us know tmtomh.......

Stargroves Tangle is correct about the CD - the first two tracks on that version are the soundchecks for Train Kept A-Rollin and Dazed & Confused. No fake audience noise, but also the sound quality is noticeably worse than the official live tracks that follow.

The original LP - which I also have a rip of - has just the original 10 tracks (or 9, since tracks 2 and 3 are really a single medley). There is yet another version, which is either the bootleg LP, or else an LP rip to which the ripper added two other tracks from another source. I can't lay my hands on that one at the moment, but its two extra tracks are at the end, not the beginning, and they are in much better sound quality than the soundchecks from the CD. However, I suspect they may not be from the same March 1968 show at all, and I cannot confirm what or where they are from.

I will try to check my HD backups to see if I can find that version.

Stargroves Tangle is correct about the CD - the first two tracks on that version are the soundchecks for Train Kept A-Rollin and Dazed & Confused. No fake audience noise, but also the sound quality is noticeably worse than the official live tracks that follow.

The original LP - which I also have a rip of - has just the original 10 tracks (or 9, since tracks 2 and 3 are really a single medley). There is yet another version, which is either the bootleg LP, or else an LP rip to which the ripper added two other tracks from another source. I can't lay my hands on that one at the moment, but its two extra tracks are at the end, not the beginning, and they are in much better sound quality than the soundchecks from the CD. However, I suspect they may not be from the same March 1968 show at all, and I cannot confirm what or where they are from.

I will try to check my HD backups to see if I can find that version.

I have the vinyl boot Last Hurrah in the Big Apple & it has the same tracks as Live Yardbirds, but I'm sure that there's another boot out there because that's where the people at Mooreland Street must have got the material for the soundcheck and the missing parts such as the beginning of Dazed & Confused. Speaking of which- I wonder why Epic cut out the first verse of it? It made the song sound strange.

Archived