Jimmy Page vs. Brian May-Guitar World poll link

sabelstorm

Interesting. You could almost describe the Doors in the same manner. I happen to like a few things by both Nirvana and the Doors...more actually by Nirvana than the Doors...but feel they are both overrated, especially by Rolling Stone magazine and other rock cognescenti.

However, both bands share a certain something that will allow them to linger on long after they should have been forgotten...handsome leaders who offed themselves at the young age of 27. Thus ensuring their allure to doomed romantics forever.

Totally disagree. Robbie's guitar work wasn't anything fancy, but to put The Doors and Nirvana in the same boat is ridiculous. (even if it's comparing similarities in guitar playing, or frontmen) Kurt could not play guitar besides a few basic chords...but it worked. I'm no Nirvana fan, but they did manage to sum up the Grunge scene well, and bands that followed in that genre held them in high esteem.

Kurt Kobain cannot be compared to Jim Morrison. Both highly influenced by drugs, but Morrison's lyrics had meaning to an extent (to me) and great passion.

Kurt was more or less just a fuck up. Dave Grohl (god bless em) was the best thing about that band.

I dunno if your comparing individual members, the bands as a whole, the impact they may have both had successfully or that they are both "equally overrated" in your opinion......?

Personally, when I listen to The Doors I don't get caught up in all the mumbo jumbo about Jim's personal life, his on-stage antics, rebellious ways, etc. that comes with the history of the band.

I just listen to the music for what it is, and it can/will transport you to another time. The Doors were deep. The had great interplay between the instruments.

I thought they were highly unique and you''ll never hear another band copy that sound...impossible. You can say what you want about em' but Jim Morrison was no joke...he was an artist- He defined that era musically/lyrically. As for Robbie Krieger-he wasn't an outstanding solo player, but he DID add nice colors to songs to really help give them personality. I have the Greatest Hits/Best Of compilation, which has about 25-30 songs. I'd say at least 18 of em' are good/great songs, even if your not a fan.

The Doors excite me more than their peers-The Stones and The Who any day of the week. They were way ahead of their time, very creative, dark, edgy and wrote good songs.

Totally disagree. Robbie's guitar work wasn't anything fancy, but to put The Doors and Nirvana in the same boat is ridiculous. (even if it's comparing similarities in guitar playing, or frontmen) Kurt could not play guitar besides a few basic chords...but it worked. I'm no Nirvana fan, but they did manage to sum up the Grunge scene well, and bands that followed in that genre held them in high esteem.

Kurt Kobain cannot be compared to Jim Morrison. Both highly influenced by drugs, but Morrison's lyrics had meaning to an extent (to me) and great passion.

Kurt was more or less just a fuck up. Dave Grohl (god bless em) was the best thing about that band.

I dunno if your comparing individual members, the bands as a whole, the impact they may have both had successfully or that they are both "equally overrated" in your opinion......?

Personally, when I listen to The Doors I don't get caught up in all the mumbo jumbo about Jim's personal life, his on-stage antics, rebellious ways, etc. that comes with the history of the band.

I just listen to the music for what it is, and it can/will transport you to another time. The Doors were deep. The had great interplay between the instruments.

I thought they were highly unique and you''ll never hear another band copy that sound...impossible. You can say what you want about em' but Jim Morrison was no joke...he was an artist- He defined that era musically/lyrically. As for Robbie Krieger-he wasn't an outstanding solo player, but he DID add nice colors to songs to really help give them personality. I have the Greatest Hits/Best Of compilation, which has about 25-30 songs. I'd say at least 18 of em' are good/great songs, even if your not a fan.

The Doors excite me more than their peers-The Stones and The Who any day of the week. They were way ahead of their time, very creative, dark, edgy and wrote good songs.

Well you described it perfectly ! The only album that I listened alot from The Doors was the first one, and I listened to morrison hotel also sometimes. The thing about Robby is that, to me, he was very technical and I felt that he was the first one to actually use his guitar to create a melody like a piano or an organ does, instead of doing chords. Kind of like Brian May did with Queen.

Oh and I am very surprised at the amount of people here that dislike Queen and/or Brian May... I seriously didn't expect that.

C'mon...that's a little ridiculous. Why are you so obsessed with Freddie's sexuality anyway? I don't know any Queen fan who says "I love Queen because Freddie's gay".

They love Queen for their songs, which got massive airplay over AM radio and in the clubs, which is a segment that Led Zeppelin didn't reach as much. They love Queen because they rocked Live Aid like nobody's business, reinvigorating their popularity. They love Queen for Brian May's signature guitar tone and stately style. They love Queen because Freddie Mercury had a great voice and was one of the greatest frontmen in rock and roll; a true showman. They love Queen for the car scene in "Wayne's World" that introduced a new generation to the joys of singing along to "Bohemian Rhapsody". They love Queen because they constantly toured their homeland...they were very popular in the U.S. but they are massively beloved in the U.K. They love Queen because they play their songs in concert just like on the records! A sizable majority of the public likes to hear the songs in concert the way they are on record.

Oh, and just for the record...being gay is not a 'lifestyle'. You don't choose to be gay; you either are or you're not. It's biologically determined for you.

:goodpost:

Oh and I am very surprised at the amount of people here that dislike Queen and/or Brian May... I seriously didn't expect that.

Who dislikes Brian May? As far as I can tell we are all fans, we just think it's a bit of a laugh that anyone would put Brian May above first Jeff Beck, then Jimmy Page, and then Jimi Hendrix (according to this silly poll and the order that May came through)

Who dislikes Brian May? As far as I can tell we are all fans, we just think it's a bit of a laugh that anyone would put Brian May above first Jeff Beck, then Jimmy Page, and then Jimi Hendrix (according to this silly poll and the order that May came through)

IMHO i think May is better than Beck. And I would put him with Jimmy and Hendrix at the top. They are actually my three favorite players, and Jeff Beck comes in 4th. It's a matter of opinions really.

C'mon...that's a little ridiculous. Why are you so obsessed with Freddie's sexuality anyway? I don't know any Queen fan who says "I love Queen because Freddie's gay".

They love Queen for their songs, which got massive airplay over AM radio and in the clubs, which is a segment that Led Zeppelin didn't reach as much. They love Queen because they rocked Live Aid like nobody's business, reinvigorating their popularity. They love Queen for Brian May's signature guitar tone and stately style. They love Queen because Freddie Mercury had a great voice and was one of the greatest frontmen in rock and roll; a true showman. They love Queen for the car scene in "Wayne's World" that introduced a new generation to the joys of singing along to "Bohemian Rhapsody". They love Queen because they constantly toured their homeland...they were very popular in the U.S. but they are massively beloved in the U.K. They love Queen because they play their songs in concert just like on the records! A sizable majority of the public likes to hear the songs in concert the way they are on record.

Oh, and just for the record...being gay is not a 'lifestyle'. You don't choose to be gay; you either are or you're not. It's biologically determined for you.

Every gay man I have met was Molested as a kid, so I doubt its biological.

Archived