Is Zeppelin a Blues or Rock Band?

McSeven

I consider their earlier days as mostly blues, but mostly after Led Zeppelin III they tend to move towards rock, but they still have blues within their songs throughout their career. So, I think they are both, blues rock band if you will.

Led Zeppelin did something very unique. They infused hard rock with every other type of music you know. They mixed classical with hard rock in Kashmir, they mixed country with hard rock with Down By the Seaside, they mixed blues with hard rock with Icantquityoubabe, and they even mixed disco with hard rock with Trampled Under Foot. No they are not a blues band straight up.

The fact that Led Zeppelin's music is unclassifiable is part of their total awesomeness. They did rock, blues, progressive, metal, folk, world, funk, jazz and so much more. They could write great songs, make complex, sonicly perfect studio cuts AND absolutely BRING IT live. This band can not be forced into a pigeon hole, they created their own brand of musical experience: Zeppelin Music!

I think if you are really listening to everything they did you would have to say they could play it all. Yeah for sure blues and rock is a given, but you can quickly get passed those genres and see that there is at least an albums worth, and maybe two, or really good folk tunes ie. Battle of Evermore, Going to Cali, Babe i'm Gonna Leave You, The Rain Song and tons off of lll.......a little fun raggae with D'Yer Maker too......

I would have loved to hear a couple more stabs at funk tunes like The Crunge.

I sometimes wonder too where they would have been headed musically after IN Through The Out Door. That would be interesting if there was a crystal ball that really worked.

Very few bands are able to survive the test of time. You must have great diversity in your music to accomplish this. Led Zeppelin was able to do this. Some groups like Boston for example had two great albums but they could never escape what they were. One dimensional.

As I have previously explained, and given examples, LZ was able to mix their basic style with every type of music. Just listen to the difference between III and IV. Just so different. Yet both so effective.

They are a rock band. Of course, Their rock is based in a blues, its evolved from blues, its very, very blues influenced... but they are 100% rock band nonetheless.

My opinion.

That's basically how Ive always seen it to be honest. Well said.

I always considered Zep a rock n roll band, even though they aren't straight on like AC/DC, they are rock n roll in the sense of their life style and their attitude.

Sometimes I wonder if Zeppelin could even be labeled. They are everything.

they are pure Rock band, and their rock is heavily based on blues roots, so they did Rock, hard rock, and blues rock, but they never did pure blues, even their early stuff like the i can't quit you baby, you shook me, the lemon song, and travelling riverside blues, can only be described as blues rock, they are too heavy to be blues, but of course they did tons of other genres. they were a very flexible band and were never limited to rock or its sub-genres.

Archived