2013 Rock Hall nominees list

The Pagemeister

ditto, a little iffy on the Donna Summer inclusion and btw Nancy Wilson can still high kick whilst playing her guitar- that alone is worthy of HOF consideration. Personal note: first concert I snuck out to see when I was a kid was HEART, my sister gave in to the blackmail of me not ratting her out for going since she was underage as well. This was in '75 and Ann Wilson looked almost as good as Linda Ronstadt. :dont: Ann wore what looked like a long church dress and man was that ever misleading coz when the music started she brought down the house and nearly blew the PA.

EDIT: I just told a co-worker about the HOF inducting Donna Summer and his comment was "holy hell Celine Dion is next"

Long overdue on Rush and Deep Purple.

When Rock & Roll started in the 50's many different artists who musically did not have much in common were labelled under that single banner. What did Doo-Wop groups like The Platters & Dion and the Belmonts have in common with Rhythm & Blues acts like Bo Diddley & Little Richard & what did they have in common with Rockabilly acts like Gene Vincent & Eddie Cochran as they did with Pop acts like Ricky Nelson & The Everley Brothers? They were ALL different. Shouldn't Johnny Cash & Hank Williams be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame even though they're country artists? Shouldn't Ray Charles be in even though he was primarily a Soul artist who crossed several musical genres? I'm not concerned if Deep Purple gets in or not like Eddie Trunk when the Marvelettes haven't gotten in or Rush when the New York Dolls haven't gotten in as there's artists who have been much waiting longer than both I mentioned (all four actually) so all this belly achin' year after year is just much more ado about nothing. And no matter how you slice it, a Doo Wop group like The Platters are far more Rock & Roll than Kiss, Deep Purple, & Rush combined as they were there in the beginning defining Rock & Roll while the latter three were only regurgitating it.

From Blabbermouth... very cool that the public can cast votes in Rolling Stone.

edit... nevermind..... read it again, the public votes count as one vote of 600.

Former DEEP PURPLE Guitarist RITCHIE BLACKMORE 'Couldn't Care Less' About ROCK HALL Induction - Oct. 11, 2012

DEEP PURPLE is among 15 finalists for induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame's Class Of 2013.

"Personally, I couldn't care less," former PURPLE guitarist Ritchie Blackmore tells Billboard.com. "I would never go. I'm not really a fan of that stuff. Considering some of the people that are in the Hall Of Fame, I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so I don't care one way or the other, actually."

He adds, "I think our fans seem to care more than I do. They're always saying, 'You should be in the Hall Of Fame. You should be in this, you should be in that...' If I can pay the bills, that's all I care about."

For the first time, the public gets to vote alongside the artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 5, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class Of 2013. The results will be announced in mid-December.

The April 18, 2013 event is set for Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, marking the first time the ceremony will be held in the city since 1993. HBO will tape the show for broadcast at a later date.

Artists are considered for inclusion in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 25 years after the release of their first recording.

Speaking to VintageRock.com, DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan recently stated about the possibility of one day being inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, "You've got to take this with great respect. We don't have anything like that where we come from, over in Europe or anywhere else. It's an American thing. It's so completely different. In America, you're great and really do support and show appreciation for your artists, musicians, film stars, whatever it may be. And you give them visible signs in accolades and all that sort of thing. And you cheer and…you're very supportive. It's the completely opposite in the U.K. They want to kill you. [laughs] The moment you get up to any form of success, they just want to wipe you out and deride you. It's part of the culture. At the same time, we've just focused on the music."

He added, "I honestly can't tell you whether or not we should be there or not. It could be because of the fragmented nature of the band that they wouldn't know how to deal with it.

"To us, with the greatest respect, it doesn't mean a lot although it's rather like an award in the U.K., if I were to get one. I probably wouldn't accept it. But then again, after a week of thinking about it, I would accept it because it would be on behalf on the family and friends and everyone who supports the band and who's looked after us after all these years. It's kind of a recognition of everyone. But whether we deserve it, I don't know. I always get embarrassed talking about this stuff."

Former PURPLE member Glenn Hughes recently said of the Hall Of Fame: "We know the people in charge and we know how they think. It's become like a joke in a way. Gene Simmons [KISS] will talk to me about it, and go on a rant and all, and he is exactly right. But I'm not gonna hold my breath. DEEP PURPLE, KISS, YES and especially RUSH should obviously all be in

• 1 month later...

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2013 to Be Announced on Tuesday 11 December 2012

M_RockHallofFameLogo630_120711.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1354983915598The newest set of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees will be revealed at a press event at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles this Tuesday at 11 a.m. PT.

Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea will announce the respected performers who will make up the Rock Hall’s Class of 2013. Flea also will disclose the luminaries who will receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award, which recognizes producers, songwriters and other non-performers who have had a major influence on rock and roll.

Among the artists who’ve been nominated for induction into the Rock Hall are Chic, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Randy Newman, Procol Harum, Rush and Donna Summer.

Some of the honorees are expected to attend the announcement event. Next year’s ceremony will mark the first Rock Hall induction to take place in Los Angeles since 1993. The event will be held at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on April 18. A special featuring highlights from the gala will air on HBO at a later date

Rush, Heart, Randy Newman Lead 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

At long last, Rush has made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Canadian rockers — who along with Kiss were the two most debated qualifiers of recent years — join five other acts to be honored at the April 18, 2013 ceremony in Cleveland. Fan vote overwhelmingly favored Geddy Lee and company, although it appears that didn’t weigh too heavily into the Hall of Fame’s selections.

“We are honored to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” the band said in a statement on their Facebook page. “The three of us are especially appreciative of our loyal fans whose support and dedication has gone a long way to making this possible. P.S. And special thanks to our moms for voting 6,000 times!”

The singer told Rolling Stone his band will be there to accept the honor, adding that he’s relieved for his mother and his fans. “It was a cause they championed,” Lee says. “I’m very relieved for them and we share this honor with them, for sure.”

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart were also named as part of the 2013 class, as was Randy Newman, disco queen Donna Summer, bluesman Albert King and rap group Public Enemy. “I thought maybe I’d have to die before they let me in,” Newman said. “I’m really glad it happened when I was still around to see it.”

Approximately 600 ballots were totaled to decide the new Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class. For the first time ever, fan voting made up a single “fans’ ballot” so Rush needed strong support from traditional voters to earn a place amongst the other immortalized legends.

Red Hot Chili Peppers‘ bassist Flea announced the inductees during this afternoon’s event. In addition to the musical acts, Lou Adler and Quincy Jones earned the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers. Deep Purple, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Procol Harum, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, the Meters, Chic, the Marvelettes, Kraftwerk and N.W.A.were the nominees who did not gain enough votes necessary to make the 2013 class.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-heart-randy-newman-lead-2013-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees/

ditto, a little iffy on the Donna Summer inclusion and btw Nancy Wilson can still high kick whilst playing her guitar- that alone is worthy of HOF consideration. Personal note: first concert I snuck out to see when I was a kid was HEART, my sister gave in to the blackmail of me not ratting her out for going since she was underage as well. This was in '75 and Ann Wilson looked almost as good as Linda Ronstadt. :dont: Ann wore what looked like a long church dress and man was that ever misleading coz when the music started she brought down the house and nearly blew the PA.

EDIT: I just told a co-worker about the HOF inducting Donna Summer and his comment was "holy hell Celine Dion is next"

Oh God not Celine. We are stuck with her up here, but there's no reason to foist her on Cleveland. The media are all over local boys Rush here and beside themselves over the lead headline in news reports: Rush or the monkey dressed in a designer coat wandering around Ikea.

I saw Getty Lee and Rush back in about '71 or '72; they used to play the local clubs all the time and were friends with my guy's band. Can't say I'm really a fan, but congratulations to them for this honor.

Just heard that myself. Quite happy about RUSH and HEART. Two deserving bands.

Hmmmm....Robert and Geddy have met, HEART is well known for covering LZ...nah! But it's fun to dream about.

I am very elated that Rush is finally getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I believe They deserve it more than any other act, besides, maybe Deep Purple. Not to start a rant, but Deep Purple deserves to be in there too, way before Public Enemy and Donna Summer.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant have met both Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson. Geddy and Alex went to see Jimmy Page and Robert Plant when They played in Toronto in 1998. They all met backstage before the concert and Geddy and Alex watched the concert from the side of the stage. Alex has since this about seeing Jimmy play, "My hero is a hero". (Page 193 from the book "Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin").

Archived