What Are You Doing Today?

Charles J. White

2 minutes ago, redrum said:

Right now she can't afford it. She did do my small place and hers which is in front. That cost her about $9,000. The garage would probably run about $3,500. She does deduct from my rent for the work I do. I can't complain and covering the roof only took about an hour. You should have seen the place when I first moved in. Yichhh! The guy was a total slob.

Ever do a roof before? Its actually not that hard unless you have to replace structural such as joists but if there is minimal rot on the joists no need to replace, just sister them. Plywood is easy, underlay, tar-paper, shingles and some flashing and that's a full re-roof. If you can do with just a re-shingle and tarpaper you could knock that out in an afternoon. 

Bonus. Have your landlady make you a pitcher of Mint Juleps for a job well done.

3 hours ago, Mr.Bones said:

Ever do a roof before? Its actually not that hard unless you have to replace structural such as joists but if there is minimal rot on the joists no need to replace, just sister them. Plywood is easy, underlay, tar-paper, shingles and some flashing and that's a full re-roof. If you can do with just a re-shingle and tarpaper you could knock that out in an afternoon. 

Bonus. Have your landlady make you a pitcher of Mint Juleps for a job well done.

I can probably do it, but it's too late in the year now here in the northwest. The rafters/joists are in good shape.

Never had a mint julep.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, redrum said:

Thinking and waiting to see what's wrong with my truck. Hope to hell it isn't major, like a timing chain or bad valve.

The speedo and engine light on my bike went. Mechanic identified the part in the gear housing. $400 and has to come in from Japan - ETA January. :( I can still ride, but have to judge speed.

I hope your truck works out better....

16 hours ago, rm2551 said:

The speedo and engine light on my bike went. Mechanic identified the part in the gear housing. $400 and has to come in from Japan - ETA January. :( I can still ride, but have to judge speed.

I hope your truck works out better....

What model bike? My truck is an '84 Ranger with a V-6. She's been a good 'ol girl and has hauled a lot of firewood. I won't know til Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's maybe just a fuel filter or anything else not too major. I did get my '66 Mercedes D200 (diesel) brakes working today and tested it out in the parking lot because it hasn't been registered since 2017. Had to replace the 3 rubber brake lines (from Parts Geek) as they were all plugged up. She stops now, I can tell you that. Front brakes are disc. I'm going to get a collector's plate for it eventually. 

20 hours ago, redrum said:

What model bike? My truck is an '84 Ranger with a V-6. She's been a good 'ol girl and has hauled a lot of firewood. I won't know til Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's maybe just a fuel filter or anything else not too major. I did get my '66 Mercedes D200 (diesel) brakes working today and tested it out in the parking lot because it hasn't been registered since 2017. Had to replace the 3 rubber brake lines (from Parts Geek) as they were all plugged up. She stops now, I can tell you that. Front brakes are disc. I'm going to get a collector's plate for it eventually. 

A Yammy 1300 VStar Cruiser. Rides like a bus.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend asked if I would smoke some food for them, naturally I said "Sure!".  Her son just delivered a cod, two chickens, three racks of ribs, nine turkey drumsticks and  A 20 POUND BRISKET!

I started the fire and trimmed the brisket, I figure a 24 hour smoke and abouit a two-three hour rest.  Food should be ready for dinner tomorrow (I'll cook the pork, poultry and fish tomorrow...)