What Are You Doing Today?

Charles J. White

At long last...SHAVING.

Golf today as it is fantastic weather. Mrs CP is out walking in the hills and we will enjoy a glass of wine on the patio before sunset. Oh the joys of an English summer :suntan:

Who was it that said "Golf was a good walk spoiled."? John Fienstein? Dan Jenkins? Frank Deford? Oscar Wilde?

At long last...SHAVING.

Who was it that said "Golf was a good walk spoiled."? John Fienstein? Dan Jenkins? Frank Deford? Oscar Wilde?

Mark Twain...

Junior (Feinstein) just used it as the title of a book

Edited by ebk

Mark Twain...

Junior (Feinstein) just used it as the title of a book

Of course! Whenever you hear a good line, you can usually count on it coming from one of three sources: Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, or Groucho Marx.

Another lovely day so I am taking to the field behind CP towers to strim the grass as it's peaking over the stone wall. Further attention to the garden and general cleaning. But first up I have to make a ginger cake for the Ladies open at the golf club. Thought about adding a few buds of Cali to make the back nine go with a bang !! Mrs CP has said no <_<

Of course! Whenever you hear a good line, you can usually count on it coming from one of three sources: Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, or Groucho Marx.

It's true. It's also interesting how many lines we use (often without realizing it) from "serious" figures such as Shakespeare and Pope.

It's true. It's also interesting how many lines we use (often without realizing it) from "serious" figures such as Shakespeare and Pope.

Right you are, sir! I'll also throw in Jesus Christ...or whomever his 'ghost writer' was. Misattribution is also common...or at least, confusion.

One of my favourite aphorisms, and one I had made into a sign at my previous job, is "Outside of a dog, books are a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." I have seen it attributed to both Groucho Marx and Mark Twain.

No June gloom this morning so it's off to the beach!

Right you are, sir! I'll also throw in Jesus Christ...or whomever his 'ghost writer' was. Misattribution is also common...or at least, confusion.

One of my favourite aphorisms, and one I had made into a sign at my previous job, is "Outside of a dog, books are a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." I have seen it attributed to both Groucho Marx and Mark Twain.

No June gloom this morning so it's off to the beach!

Lol. How true.

Responding to Pagefan55:

Junior used "spoiled" in the book title. I have not gone back to research the actual quote.

I also love another Twain quote - "The coldest winter I ever spent was August in San Francisco". I couldn't agree more after spending an August in San Francisco!

Oh, and to stay on topic, I'm working today, but get to leave early to pick up our niece who's flying in from Australia for a few weeks - yay!

Edited by ebk

ebk, thanks for that information. It was kind of you to respond so promptly. I'd previously heard the "winter in San Francisco" quote but I didn't know Twain had said it. I seem to remember you mentioning in another thread that a niece of yours lived in Oz. (Sydney?) Anyway, I hope she has a wonderful time here in the States.

Edited by Pagefan55

hope you played well chillumpuffer, I`m going to a local carboot looking for vinyl... I was wondering how did you come up with your usernames....

may you find peace, happieness and ??????????????

Usernames? Easy, just had to choose a half. Mom is one, and dad is the other; both opposites, so I went with mum's side and made it 100% English, and combined it with Steve A. Jones - Hence Charles J. White it sounds exactly what my Grandmother would have prefered...

Garden duties at CP towers again. Moving a few plants (legal) around. Cycling on the canal towpath upto the village for a look at how the Well Dressing is coming along and getting a hair cut. Mrs CP is golfing at her Captains day so I will be having a lamb dinner and a glass or two of red

hope you played well chillumpuffer, I`m going to a local carboot looking for vinyl... I was wondering how did you come up with your usernames....

may you find peace, happieness and ??????????????

Username? I spent a lot of time travelling in India. In the absence of Rizlas and the plentiful amount of hash, it was the way I used to imbibe. Not for the first time on this forum, here is a picture of the chillum:

post-4226-0-97957600-1403713681_thumb.jp