What guitar did Page use in opening of Whole Lotta Love (studio)?

Well some people think it was a Tele....

He used a Tele for the first album but switched to the '59 Les Paul he bought from Joe Walsh for the rest of his career. He did use the Tele for the solo on Stairway to Heaven.

He used the Danelectro for most slide work and if I remember correctly also used it for some of the studio version of Ten Years Gone.

He also used the lake placid blue stratocaster on the Crunge and some of Presence. The Doubleneck was never used in the studio except for one song- Carouselambra.

Most of 'In Through the Out Door' was recorded with the Brown Tele with B Bender except 'In the Evening' and that was the strat. I think Wearing and Tearing and maybe Ozone Baby and Darlene might have the Les Paul on them.

I know you didn't ask all this but I thought I would give my 2 cents anyway haha

Edited by DavidZoso

Turns it was Pagey himself who said it, but he only said he used it on Whole Lotta Love, nothing about the main riff, could be buried in the middle section.

Then again knowing Page it might not even be used at all.

BTW I can't be arsed to search for the actual quote, sorry.

Guitar World January '91

Eddie Kramer verified it as well. EK reportedly has pics of the sessions including the recording of the solo takes.

Turns it was Pagey himself who said it, but he only said he used it on Whole Lotta Love, nothing about the main riff, could be buried in the middle section.

Then again knowing Page it might not even be used at all.

BTW I can't be arsed to search for the actual quote, sorry.

it's implied tho... green light til its a red light

Ozone Baby and Darlene sound like the neck position on the Gibson Explorer to me

hmmm never knew he used a Gibson Explorer. He used that Gibson RD Artist for Misty Mountain Hop live at the Copenhagen warm ups and for the 2nd Knebworth show in 1979.

I thought it was a Firebird at first but saw on a tumblr a couple of pics of Polar Studios from November '78 that Page had an Explorer in the harem. I did not see the RD in any of the pics. He did have a hollow body and the basics. The sound on that track is stand alone as far as tone. Can't tell what he did exactly. On vinyl with the headphones on it's tasty.

hmmm never knew he used a Gibson Explorer. He used that Gibson RD Artist for Misty Mountain Hop live at the Copenhagen warm ups and for the 2nd Knebworth show in 1979.

Ten Years Gone was the cream Strat that JPJ returned to him during O2 rehearsals.

Yes I have a classic rock magazine from around the time of the o2 show and it showed the cream strat. But it is also a possibility he used both it and the danelectro for different tracks on Ten Years Gone just like I believe Achilles Last Stand has more guitars on it than just the Les Paul.

Yes I have a classic rock magazine from around the time of the o2 show and it showed the cream strat. But it is also a possibility he used both it and the danelectro for different tracks on Ten Years Gone just like I believe Achilles Last Stand has more guitars on it than just the Les Paul.

fender_strat2_01.jpg

The white Strat was used on Thank You and was returned to Jimmy Page ca. September 2007.

Hummm Jimmy used the same tele that he used on the first album on WLL. He did overdubs with his les paul on ALL and used a stratocaster for most of the Presence album, the only song that probably has another les paul on it is candy store rock. I thought he used a danelectro 12 string on thank you ?

Hummm Jimmy used the same tele that he used on the first album on WLL. He did overdubs with his les paul on ALL and used a stratocaster for most of the Presence album, the only song that probably has another les paul on it is candy store rock. I thought he used a danelectro 12 string on thank you ?

He used a Vox Phantom XII for Thank You.