Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

With this highly anticipated movie, opening tomorrow in NYC for the premier and others in London, Berlin and Tokyo, later in the week, I think it would be appropriate to get as many of us here as possible, our reviews on the film. For those that can't attend these premieres for logistical problems or just being shut out of these public (mostly) premieres, your chance is just nine "short days" from seeing it in a theatre near by...I hope!

I think, just standard reviews, is not the way to go. Too boring! Reviews are great, but specifics is much more interesting and the way to grab our interest here.

Whether going to a premiere or theatre showing tell us a lot. Your whole experience would be good. That could include:

The Movie

Review

Sound

Visuals

Performances (As a band and individual)

Theater Experience

Pre-Show Experience

Premieres: Celebrity sightings and Band Members in attendance

Positives and Negatives (If applicable)

Favorite moments and what blew you away

Was it a get together with friends and the feeling it created amongst

Overall impression of the movie and experience

I'm sure there are other things to suggest, but some to start. Don't want to overwhelm you.

Looking forward to your input and I'll give you mine as well, when I see this on the 17th.

Hopefully, there are some of you lucky enough to get your way somehow, into the NYC premiere at The Ziegfeld tomorrow night!

I was at The Ziegfeld last night. I didn’t have a ticket and I only came hoping that I would to get a glimpse of the band. The event was to start at 7:30, so I stopped by the theatre around 7pm. Well, after standing around for a while looking longingly at the people on the other side of the barricades and waiting for the band members to arrive, a very nice man asked me if I had a ticket. I told him “No, but I would very much like to have one.” He told me that a radio station (104.3) was giving them away in the back of the theatre. When he yelled “Hurry!” I was already halfway around the block.

Four young cute people from the radio station were indeed giving away tickets at a little table in the rain, and I just wanted to marry all of them right then and there (not really, but this was my level of excitement). I had to fill out a form that asked for name, address, and my Social Security number(!) – I was ready to give it to them, but was told I didn’t have to. These were tickets that had not been claimed by winners that had called in to the radio station during the week. Ticket in hand I ran to the front of the theatre again, a little nervous that I still might not get in. Was this ticket for real?

Yes, it was real and I walked into the red carpet arrival area at just the right moment. I was able to walk right up to the barricade where the band members were about to arrive and the black SUVs started to pull up. First out was Robert and Patty, or was it Jason and his crew? Now I can’t remember who came first, I was in such a state. Anyway, Robert looked great, I would say a friendly look on his face as he walked past, but also looking a bit weary and tired (probably not looking forward to more inane reunion questions). Jason looked happy and friendly in his sunglasses and black hat and he had 4-5 people with him, but I don’t know who they were. Then came Jimmy. Ross Halfin also appeared right before Jimmy but not from the same car. Jimmy stepped out of the car with a young leggy blonde and he was looking sharp as always. He walked right by and I could have reached out my hand and touched him. But I didn’t because that would have been creepy. People were yelling “Jimmy!” and asking for autographs, but he just flashed us all a bright smile and waved. Beautiful man. It felt unreal to be so close. They all walked into the red carpet area which was partially tented off so you could only see glimpses. I did not see JPJ arrive and now the security people were ushering us along to enter the theatre while the red carpet thing was going on.

I had never been to the The Ziegfeld before and I really enjoyed looking around, but I was a little too jazzed up to pay close attention. There was free soda and popcorn out on tables, so naturally I walked over to get some. There I almost bumped into Paul Stanley and a young man who was most likely his son. I kind of wanted to tell him that my friend and I used to pretend to be Kiss when I was around 8 years old in the early 80’s. But I am kind of shy and I was always Ace Frehley, so I didn’t say anything, haha.

I went into the theatre and my seat was almost all the way in the back, but it didn’t look like all the seats would fill up. I decided to wait so I stood around and ate my popcorn and chatted with one of the theatre attendants. Then Stevie Nicks walked right by. What a night, seriously.

We were asked to take our seats and then in walked the mighty Zep – now I saw John Paul for the first time – and their entourage (Patty, Ross, leggy blonde, and others). Everyone clapped and cheered. They all sat in the middle, slightly towards the back of the theatre in aisle seats. Even after the they dimmed the lights I could see the Jimmy’s white hair during the entire film. He was wearing some very nice thin-soled shoes and light was reflecting in the leather on his right foot that kind of stuck out in the aisle.

The movie. What can I possibly say that would add anything to what Dave Lewis wrote? It was fantastic, amazing, wonderful. The smiles, the glances, and the energy between the four men on stage, it was something to behold. I was happy to see JPJ get some nice screen time. I went to the bathroom during Stairway to Heaven, don’t kill me please.

My favorites were Ramble On, In My Time Of Dying, Nobody’s Fault but Mine, and Kashmir. Jimmy’s foot started tapping during Kashmir. I didn’t really see his head bopping during the movie, but his upper body did little slight swirvs throughout the show, as if he was playing along or feeling the music. It feel so fortunate to have had that perspective while watching this triumphant film. I must say I was kind of surprised at how docile the audience was, since this was the world premiere and all.

Our guys stood up and quietly walked out during the second encore, although when Jimmy walked by us, he looked up, smiled, and pumped his hand in the air a few times. As they were walking out, I kind of slipped in with the entourage to walk out and then realized I almost stepped on John Paul who was right behind me. He was saying to someone “well, were are they going/ that’s where we’ll go” Some woman (who was with them) was saying “Jimmy said they are going to the green room… Jimmy and Robert were talking” They were all ushered into “the green room” and everyone else were ushered outside.

I stood outside for a while afterwards to watch people walk out. Lots of famous faces but I can’t put names to them. I’m sure you can read about them somewhere else. Then I thought I would try to get one more glimpse of the band and walked to the back of the building where the cars were waiting. There was a group of youngens and a few older fans waiting for them to come out. One man was wearing a suit made with a Houses of the Holy album cover print. We talked about the show and all things led zep for a while. He had worn the same suit to the 02 in London. He also told me he had been to Jimmy’s house in London several times. Who knows. After a while they all came out the back door and went straight into the cars. One of the youngens yelled some rude stuff to JPJ and I felt embarrassed to even stand there. Some people asked if I wanted to go to an afterparty at the Monkey Bar, but I headed home to my family instead and I had to get up early this morning to go to work.

That’s my account of the Celebration Day Premiere in New York City. Perhaps too many details for some and not enough for others, but I hope you enjoyed. I know you will all have a great time on October 17!

I was at The Ziegfeld last night. I didn’t have a ticket and I only came hoping that I would to get a glimpse of the band. The event was to start at 7:30, so I stopped by the theatre around 7pm. Well, after standing around for a while looking longingly at the people on the other side of the barricades and waiting for the band members to arrive, a very nice man asked me if I had a ticket. I told him “No, but I would very much like to have one.” He told me that a radio station (104.3) was giving them away in the back of the theatre. When he yelled “Hurry!” I was already halfway around the block.

Four young cute people from the radio station were indeed giving away tickets at a little table in the rain, and I just wanted to marry all of them right then and there (not really, but this was my level of excitement). I had to fill out a form that asked for name, address, and my Social Security number(!) – I was ready to give it to them, but was told I didn’t have to. These were tickets that had not been claimed by winners that had called in to the radio station during the week. Ticket in hand I ran to the front of the theatre again, a little nervous that I still might not get in. Was this ticket for real?

Yes, it was real and I walked into the red carpet arrival area at just the right moment. I was able to walk right up to the barricade where the band members were about to arrive and the black SUVs started to pull up. First out was Robert and Patty, or was it Jason and his crew? Now I can’t remember who came first, I was in such a state. Anyway, Robert looked great, I would say a friendly look on his face as he walked past, but also looking a bit weary and tired (probably not looking forward to more inane reunion questions). Jason looked happy and friendly in his sunglasses and black hat and he had 4-5 people with him, but I don’t know who they were. Then came Jimmy. Ross Halfin also appeared right before Jimmy but not from the same car. Jimmy stepped out of the car with a young leggy blonde and he was looking sharp as always. He walked right by and I could have reached out my hand and touched him. But I didn’t because that would have been creepy. People were yelling “Jimmy!” and asking for autographs, but he just flashed us all a bright smile and waved. Beautiful man. It felt unreal to be so close. They all walked into the red carpet area which was partially tented off so you could only see glimpses. I did not see JPJ arrive and now the security people were ushering us along to enter the theatre while the red carpet thing was going on.

I had never been to the The Ziegfeld before and I really enjoyed looking around, but I was a little too jazzed up to pay close attention. There was free soda and popcorn out on tables, so naturally I walked over to get some. There I almost bumped into Paul Stanley and a young man who was most likely his son. I kind of wanted to tell him that my friend and I used to pretend to be Kiss when I was around 8 years old in the early 80’s. But I am kind of shy and I was always Ace Frehley, so I didn’t say anything, haha.

I went into the theatre and my seat was almost all the way in the back, but it didn’t look like all the seats would fill up. I decided to wait so I stood around and ate my popcorn and chatted with one of the theatre attendants. Then Stevie Nicks walked right by. What a night, seriously.

We were asked to take our seats and then in walked the mighty Zep – now I saw John Paul for the first time – and their entourage (Patty, Ross, leggy blonde, and others). Everyone clapped and cheered. They all sat in the middle, slightly towards the back of the theatre in aisle seats. Even after the they dimmed the lights I could see the Jimmy’s white hair during the entire film. He was wearing some very nice thin-soled shoes and light was reflecting in the leather on his right foot that kind of stuck out in the aisle.

The movie. What can I possibly say that would add anything to what Dave Lewis wrote? It was fantastic, amazing, wonderful. The smiles, the glances, and the energy between the four men on stage, it was something to behold. I was happy to see JPJ get some nice screen time. I went to the bathroom during Stairway to Heaven, don’t kill me please.

My favorites were Ramble On, In My Time Of Dying, Nobody’s Fault but Mine, and Kashmir. Jimmy’s foot started tapping during Kashmir. I didn’t really see his head bopping during the movie, but his upper body did little slight swirvs throughout the show, as if he was playing along or feeling the music. It feel so fortunate to have had that perspective while watching this triumphant film. I must say I was kind of surprised at how docile the audience was, since this was the world premiere and all.

Our guys stood up and quietly walked out during the second encore, although when Jimmy walked by us, he looked up, smiled, and pumped his hand in the air a few times. As they were walking out, I kind of slipped in with the entourage to walk out and then realized I almost stepped on John Paul who was right behind me. He was saying to someone “well, were are they going/ that’s where we’ll go” Some woman (who was with them) was saying “Jimmy said they are going to the green room… Jimmy and Robert were talking” They were all ushered into “the green room” and everyone else were ushered outside.

I stood outside for a while afterwards to watch people walk out. Lots of famous faces but I can’t put names to them. I’m sure you can read about them somewhere else. Then I thought I would try to get one more glimpse of the band and walked to the back of the building where the cars were waiting. There was a group of youngens and a few older fans waiting for them to come out. One man was wearing a suit made with a Houses of the Holy album cover print. We talked about the show and all things led zep for a while. He had worn the same suit to the 02 in London. He also told me he had been to Jimmy’s house in London several times. Who knows. After a while they all came out the back door and went straight into the cars. One of the youngens yelled some rude stuff to JPJ and I felt embarrassed to even stand there. Some people asked if I wanted to go to an afterparty at the Monkey Bar, but I headed home to my family instead and I had to get up early this morning to go to work.

That’s my account of the Celebration Day Premiere in New York City. Perhaps too many details for some and not enough for others, but I hope you enjoyed. I know you will all have a great time on October 17!

Great account , you lucky,lucky bastard, I've been waiting since 1969 and I've only ever seen them on stage. It must be amazing to see them close up.

You are so lucky -- and thanks for sharing!

Zepgirl, that was fantastic. I was there last at as well and had such a great time.

The one man you mentioned (with the HOTH suit was Bucks Burnett who at one time was Ronnie Lane's butler. He is a good friend of Jimmy's as I spent quite a bit of time talking with him before and after the show. A real character and very charming. I also met Paul Stanley and got to talk with Eddie Trunck for a bit as well. Jokingly, he said if I there was away to get one of those Celebration Day marquee posters. Too much security in the lobby, so it was a lost cause.

There were other celebs there including, Joan Jett, Stevie Nicks, Naomi Campbell and others. I think I may have seen Chad Smith from the Chilli Peppers.

I went to the show with a couple of forum members, one who had gotten the ticket with their acquaintance winning the ticket from Q 104. The person felt they could invite friends, but they'd rather invite true fans from the board. I was ecstatic and honored that this member chose me to join them, along with one other for the premiere. Thanks to this member here, for this privilege who also chose another here along with myself to attend with them as well.

One of the best parts of this event was hanging out with fellow Zep fans before the film outside. Met a number of people on this board whom I talk with on this board. Those included Front Row Dave, Zeplives66, Dandu, Stargroves Tangerine and our own webmaster Sam. Also met others who run other Zep sites such as FBO. Just a fun time leading up to the main event.

As Zepgirl mentioned, I also heard the call about free tickets. We were just coming back from picking ours up from the Q104 desk when this happened. Front Row Dave came to the event without a ticket and in a flash he was gone...and shortly....rewarded!

Great theater and is the first time here. Loved the free popcorn and beverages. There was quite a bit of time, between when we went in and the band got there. So a lot us just hung out in the lobby. That's when I said hello to Paul Stanley, who was with his son. Also, saw Naomi Campbell come through there

Finally, around 7:40 or so, Robert, Jimmy, JPJ and Jason entered the auditorium. I was on the left side in the fourth row, while they were on the right side sort of in the middle or back a bit. Saw all of them and Jimmy especially was greeting people. Saw him talk with Paul Stanley for a bit. Everyone took their seats and it was time for the main event, which I couldn't wait any longer for.

The lights dimmed and, I felt myself to be transported somewhere else for the next two hours. I don't want to give everything away, but as most of you know this is all performance and no back stage or anything else during the film, besides opening and closing credits.

The film itself is unbelievable. Unlike any concert film I've ever seen. Dick Carruthers along with Jimmy Page's help, did a phenomenal job of putting this film together. I can't imagine, just how many hour were spent doing this and the editing involved. Especially, when 16 cameras are involved. A number of 8mm cameras were used and was weaved in and out from the HD ones. It was done for the most part quite effectively, but sometimes I felt the 8mm cameras were used just a bit much.

The movie starts with the opening credits and large cheers came from the audience as each name of the band was shown on the screen. It starts with the Tampa Stadium News Reel from 1973 and goes right into GTBT. I felt the band to be a bit sluggish during the first three numbers (also Ramble On and Black Dog). They really started to cook on all cylinders from IMTOD onwards.

Don't want to give too much away, but for me my highlights are numerous. Those would be IMTOD (Robert's, Oh my Jesus with so much force) Trampled (loved Jimmy's solo), FYL(Just amazing, especially Jimmy), NFBM (band really jams and Robert is great on harp), NQ (compact, but has all the great parts from the live versions we know), SIBLY (another great Jimmy solo and vocals by Robert, being close to the Page/Plant versions), Stairway (what can you say? Would have liked more of a solo, but was still great), Dazed (nice work with the bow and trainwreck corrected. Also compact like NQ, but has all the parts we enjoy), TSRTS (very good, but not one of highlights), Misty(loved Jason on backing vocals). Almost near the end of the main set with one remaining...Kashmir. Dave Lewis, in his review said the performance was colossal. I personally, think that's a mild description as it's well beyond that in some other worldly dimension. It really was earth shattering, mind blowing or however you wish to describe it. To me it was "The" performance of the show and the best ever performance of this song. I'm sure some here will disagree. The encores came with WLL (never get tired of Jimmy with the theramin) and finishing off with Rock and Roll (very poignant with the band having their backs to the crowd and facing Jason and watching him with pride as he nails the ending drum solo). The band walks off with closing credits to NQ.

Just thought I'd mention, that after a few songs into the movie, that Front Row Dave took his locale, where he should be. He had the entire front row center , all to himself for the rest of the film. That's where he should be!

The way this was filmed is amazing with so many great closeups and such a great performance. SO much different than TSRTS as the technology today has allowed this to look so good. Judge for yourselves next week, when it's in theaters on the 17th.

So afterwards, a few of us mingled in the lobby and to no avail could any of us get a Celebration Day poster. Will just have to wait till their available here...I hope! I want one so bad.

We then made our may to the St. Regis Hotel where the after party was in the Monkey Bar. Couldn't get in without a badge (submit the line). Just hung around for a while and saw Joan Jett and Stevie Nicks exiting together. Amazing the amount of white mascara Joan Jett uses. Kind of scary and looked set for Halloween coming up soon.

While we were hanging out, one of us who got there earlier saw Jason, Robert and JPJ go in. The rest of us got there a few minutes later. There was an SUV, directly behind where we were hanging out. We moved about twenty fet down the block and that's when Jimmy Page emerged from the SUV briskly into the hotel and after party. Perhaps, when we moved, that was his cue to go in.

That's about it and was a great time and glad I could share it with all of you.

SuperDave Rocks!!!! Great to see you Tuesday night...what an amazing experience...i arrived in London this morning and am completely exhausted.....i'll be writing up a review as well on saturday....i'll be seeing the movie again at the hammersmith apollo tomorrow....

one cool thing to mention...when the band enterted the theater everyone gave them a HUGE standing ovation and cheered for them.....

it was so incredible i turned on my cellphone and recorded it...although it is very short....check out my facebook page for updates....all of the information is public....

i also have several pics of hason and john paul, some video of robert, jason and jimmy...a few questions i asked Nech about the press conference...lots of goodies there! Feel free to friend me...

Rock on LZ.com forum members!

http://www.facebook.com/frontrowdave

I've have three viewings of this lined up over the next ten days.

I thing tomorrow night at the premiere I'll be caught up in the atmosphere to much to think about a serious critical review, but I should have my thoughts and opinions together after the final showing!

Good morning everyone,

Not sure if it was good karma paying off or if I just was a lucky, lucky bastard :) but either way, I am still buzzing. I had not really watched any clips from the 02 show, so I don’t know the Dazed and Confused trainwreck you are referring to, but it must have been fixed because it sounded great! I look forward to seeing this again and again, and be able to observe more details. It was too much to take in in one sitting. Today, thinking back, the two songs that stand out to me are NQ and NFBM…which are quickly becoming two new favorites of mine. Can’t wait to see and hear it all again!

Hey SuperDave and Front Row Dave – It would have been fun to chat with you! And yes, that was Bucks that I talked to. I wasn’t sure he would want me to give away his name, but I see that he just joined this forum so it’s all good!

Too bad you couldn’t get into the Monkey Bar. I wonder if anyone else here did?

This is such a great thread. After reading the reviews from those of you sons of...who got to see this with them in the audience! Seriously, you all know I could not be more happy for you. Thanks for the write ups, really enjoying this, and every minute of it. The 17th cannot get here fast enough :peace:

Some have said that John Paul Jones bass was not turned up during the beginning of Dazed and Confused. If so, was it corrected? And from what I have read on some reviews after the concert that they didn't start being the Zep of old till around the 4th song and onwards.

Jeff

JPJ's bass was clear enough where I was, standing about 20 feet in front of the mixing desk...maybe the sounds was a bit muddier elsewhere?

As for the 'Zep of old' thing, I think a good listen to the third song in the set will dispel that idea. I'm sure it took a couple of songs to really get into the swing of things and establish their confidence, but this was 21st century Zeppelin, related to, but not exactly the same as the 'Zep of old'.

I'm going to see the movie another couple of times over the next week or so.

I'll post a full critical review then, after I've had the chance to fully assimilate it.

Briefly, however, this movie is a magnificent record of their one-off gig in 2007, and I urge anyone that can make it to see this on the big screen. TV just won't do it justice, unless you have one the size of a wall with full-on surround sound!

Here's my experience of the London premiere:

Despite British Rail's best attempts to screw up my journey, I arrived at the Distillers in time to meet up with Dave Lewis and the TBL crew. Unfortunately missed Front Row Dave, who I was quite keen to meet, and Knebby, who I last saw on December 10th, 2007.

Arrived at the Apollo around half an hour before the band, but couldn't see much over the scrum of other people - although I saw the back of Jimmy's head as I was going in!

Once inside I took my seat, but noticed there were four empty ones with a better view in the row behind Dave Lewis, so I snuck into one of those, which gave a great vantage point to watch Dave's headbanging!

As happened at the gig itself, Harvey Goldsmith came onstage to do the introductions, swiftly followed by Dick Curruthers with Jimmy, Robert and JPJ. Jimmy and Robert both spoke briefly, as did the director, but JPJ stayed silent, unfortunately. I'm glad this footage is now online, I can get the chance to take it in more thoughtfully, as the frenetic atmosphere of the evening rather took over on the night!

I already have some thoughts and opinions on the film itself, but will post these after the 21st.

Looking forward to people's thoughts on this, I can't imagine anyone will be disappointed with this!

A great night & a great piece of film!

I missed the chance to bag tickets for the real deal so I had to settle for second best some five years later by proudly taking my place at last night's premiere in London's Hammersmith Apollo.

The big screen really did the film justice and, despite their ages and everything that has happened between them over the years they gave a cracking performance highlighted with two or three real gems where you could very much sense a little of 'the old' magic rekindled.

I have to confess that it felt kind of strange for me at a couple of points last night. For example, when Robert, John & Jimmy were introducing the film on stage I couldn't help but wonder if we would ever see them together in public like that again? Then there was a point in the film where I caught a tear rolling down one cheek during one of those aforementioned 'magic' moments when again I wondered if they would ever perform that way together again?

But still.... enough of the sentimental drivel, do not delay, see this movie as soon as you get the chance and watch the mighty Zeppelin show us all how it's done once again!

P.S. I thought that Bonzo Jnr's drumming was absolutely superb throughout too

Archived