Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

I LOVED THE WHOLE SHOW!!! but I would have loved to see the band include an extras part of it that had an interview with all 4 of how they picked the songs,have they narrowed down the choices,what almost made it,etc.... and stuff other than the soundcheck performance the previous night!

• 4 weeks later...

Sanjoy Narayan. Editor-in-Chief, Hindustan Times

http://blogs.hindustantimes.com/download-central/2013/03/23/when-led-zep-reunited/#more-3258

There’s been so much hype about Celebration Day, the name of the 2007 concert by the surviving members of Led Zeppelin, who reunited to play just one gig at London’s O2 arena as a tribute to the legendary producer and music industry executive, the late Ahmet Ertegun, that even after the recordings – both video and audio – of the concert were released late last year, I hesitated to check them out. Big mistake. I should’ve.

Led-Zeppelin-2007-DC-March24.jpg

For us who heard Led Zeppelin in our formative years, their sound defined hard rock (Photo: CC/PAUL HUDSON)

I did, finally, only over the last week. Led Zeppelin, for all practical purposes, dissolved in 1980 (although there have been brief reunions such as the 2007 concert), but they are a band that many of us grew up listening to. I can still remember where and when I first heard their eponymous debut album, Led Zeppelin, or for that matter the three following that one: II, III and IV (the last one actually being an un-named album but referred to by fans as IV). There were five more albums that they released during their tenure, including Physical Graffiti and In Through The Out Door, but for many, the first four remain the most influential Led Zep releases.

For many of us who heard Led Zeppelin in our formative years, their sound defined hard rock music. Jimmy Page’s lead guitar, Robert Plant’s wailing style of singing, John Bonham’s (the band dissolved with his death in 1980) trademark drumming and John Paul Jones’ bass and keyboards were the precursors of heavy metal or hard rock as we know it today. I don’t know how many thousands of bands that one band has influenced.

For Celebration Day, Bonham’s son Jason joined the surviving members and the quartet produced a concert that many would die to be able to watch live. The band played 17 songs, including two encores, and the playlist has all of your favourite Led Zeppelin songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpigDGf6vXM? It’s there. Dazed and Confused? Yes, a nearly 12-minute version! Kashmir? Yes. Misty Mountain Hop? Ditto. Whole Lotta Love? Yup. If you grew up in the 1970s listening to rock music, this album is your stairway to musical heaven. Yes, of course, Stairway to Heaven was also on the playlist.

Besides the glowing warmth of nostalgia that I felt while listening to Celebration Day, I couldn’t help but marvel at the remarkable fact that three ageing rockers (Jason Bonham is only in his 40s but the three of his late father’s bandmates are inching towards 70) were able to perform the way they did. If you don’t watch the video, they could well sound as if they were playing in the 1970s. I don’t know what others feel but for me, it was Page who stole the show at the O2 arena that night. Not having heard my Led Zeppelin albums for a while, I had indeed forgotten how huge a deal he was. And, evidently, still is. He’s grown old terrifically too. Just take a look at the elegant gent in the latest John Varvatos ad campaign for which Page has modelled, along with a more contemporary young bluesman, Gary Clark Jr. (See DC, dated December 16, 2012). Incidentally, it’s Page who outshines the younger musician in the ads.

i knew and expected them to be great. But I tell you, it was like setting the clock back some thirty some years. Plant can still hit the high notes and Page, well, Page is Page and always will be. Jason probably dreamed of this a thousand times but probably never really thought he would get this chance to sit where his great father Bonzo once sat. I think Robert had the most difficult part in a way. Having to sing like that some thrity years later. He passed with flying colors. The set list was a little surprising to me and a real treat in a way. They did not play Ramble On when I saw them live in 77. And of course they did not play Good tmes Bad Times either. Ass kicking event to say the least. Ass kicking.

Plant cant hit all those high notes he used to.... havent you guitar players realized that Page and Jones tuned down a whole step so that Plant wouldnt have to reach quite as high? I'm not knocking him, his voice is very good for his age.

• 6 months later...

I watched Celebration Day, for the first time last night, it was awesome, Robert Plant sounded really good.

He must've done something to his voice, it sounds a lot better, I attended the Page & Plant concert back in the late 90's and his singing wasn't all that good, like he couldn't hit the notes.

I really enjoyed watching this, and Jason did a swell job of filling in for his late dad, I know John was up above smiling down at Jason with pride, during this concert.

Zeppelin was great and tight!

I watched Celebration Day, for the first time last night, it was awesome, Robert Plant sounded really good.

He must've done something to his voice, it sounds a lot better, I attended the Page & Plant concert back in the late 90's and his singing wasn't all that good, like he couldn't hit the notes.

I really enjoyed watching this, and Jason did a swell job of filling in for his late dad, I know John was up above smiling down at Jason with pride, during this concert.

Zeppelin was great and tight!

Yeah he prepped for months on end for the night and by all accounts could hardly speak the rest of the night after the show was over. In so many words, he threw everything he had into that one night at the O2 and did everything he could to hit it out of the park as much as possible. Surely some of his not wanting to take it on the road was at least some concern on his part that he wouldn't be able to quite pull off as strong of a performance every night.

Yeah he prepped for months on end for the night and by all accounts could hardly speak the rest of the night after the show was over. In so many words, he threw everything he had into that one night at the O2 and did everything he could to hit it out of the park as much as possible. Surely some of his not wanting to take it on the road was at least some concern on his part that he wouldn't be able to quite pull off as strong of a performance every night.

He did a great job and performance, they were spectacular that night.

This is kinda off topic, but the band is up for a Grammy for the live performance of "Kashmir" at the 02 concert and also for rock album

for "Celebration Day."

Oopsie! Thread was started for this topic.

How could this be, wasn't Celebration Day released in 2012?

• 4 weeks later...

I just (finally!) ordered and received the 2cd/blu ray DVD video/rehearsal DVD set. I put the blu ray video DVD in my player last night as I wanted to watch the show first. I was using my Sennheiser headphones to listen to the video (on the 2.0 stereo setting) as my kids were in bed, and I noticed from the very beginning that there is a slight crackling/static sound in the audio and it was present throughout the show. It was very annoying and I was wondering if anyone else who has listened to the blu ray video audio through headphones has noticed this? I was very put off by this. Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Archived