Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

Theater volume issues aside, I don't know what to think of the surround mix. It was much too inconsistent. I will reserve final judgement on the sound of the film until I receive my blu-ray/cd copy (which I am now more excited for than ever).

The theater I went to had digital projection. I believe this is the first digitally projected movie I have ever seen. The image was stable, clear, and sharp. I have never heard so much talking during a movie. Not only that but people where shuffling popcorn and shaking sodas the entire time. The constant "louder" yells during the solos got annoying too. The one saving grace was this guy in a wheel chair down in the front. He was so into the music and the movie that he was full on air drumming and just having a great time. Seeing that made me smile and got me in a better mood.

A few comments from the movie itself.

Some people are complaining about the quick edit. I did not find it jarring at all. The stop and slow motion was a surprise...it works...but I don't really see the reason behind it. The 8mm footage did not add anything to the experience and I agree with others who say that it's inclusion is a disruption.

John Paul Jones finally gets some camera time. I was captivated by his keyboard, bass, and bass pedal playing. His versatility has always been absolutely stunning. I also enjoyed seeing all of his different basses. The ten string and fretless in particular.

Page's expressions were awesome. You can obviously tell that he was concentrating very hard on what he wanted to do, and that he was hoping that his fingers would cooperate. A fine performance from Page all around.

I was really surprised at how good Plant sounded. After hearing the rehearsal soundboard and various bootlegs I was not expecting too much. He totally blew me away.

Perhaps the biggest surprise was Jason. I've never seen someone as into the music as he was and his upbeat attitude kept the rest of the band smiling and having a good time. Although he played right on top of the beat, he payed a great tribute to his dad.

Are the rest of you so blinded by the legend of a band that had at most 6 good years that you continue to treat them like gods?

How many "good years" at most did The Beatles have? Jimi Hendrix? The Doors? I'm sorry you don't seem to understand Celebration Day is about celebrating the electric magic experienced between the band members and their fans on the night if not since inception.

one of my favorite things was a camera angle that's not available on the bootlegs. there was a camera right in front of the bass drum so when they gathered around the drums (which they did a lot) you can really see the eye contact and interplay between them.

one thing i loved about the 02 concert was how close together the musicians were. they didn't have some massive stones style stage with runways and gimmicks, and even as big as the stage was they generally stayed close and really interacted with each other. maybe this was due to it being a one off, maybe if they were on a long tour they wouldn't need to pay such close attention, but i was really happy to see it in such detail in the movie.

I went to the show last night at the Cineplex here in Calgary. Sound was so so, could have been louder and was played through the standard house system. So, I am certainly looking forward to hearing it on BluRay.

After watching the concert the last 4 years on the numerous bootlegs in circulation, I was still blown away by what i saw. The interaction between the band and the knowing smiles/glances where a joy to see. Jimmy was on fire, (no sticky fingers on this night) Robert in fine voice, reaching and hitting the higher registers with conviction where the impact was needed, John Paul holding down the bottom line with his usual precision and Jason keeping the engine room running smoothly and powerfully. He did his dad proud and proved he is the only drummer worthy of occupying the drum stool.

Highlights for me were

For Your Life

IMTOD

No Quarter

TSRTS

Kashmir

A lot of the between song banter was edited out, which for me, was a bit of a disappointment.

All in all, the mighty Zep laid their legacy on the line that night and delivered the goods hands down, proving that they were/are the best band ever assembled.

I cannot wait to get the BluRay and enjoy this show again in glorious 5:1 sound.

Saw it last night in Glasgow along with a packed out audience. 'I've watched romantic comedies that've been louder' kept looping through my head during the first few songs of the Film - and this happens to a Led Zeppelin Show? Seems to have been a global experience from reading other posts. Why???

However, it quickly grew from that to produce an amazingly powerful, rich, warm and heavy sound.

Thought i might be willing the band on hoping they don't mess up but the numbers came out with great musicianship and the chemistry between the four was a joy, making the whole experience better than I'd dared hope.

Visually stunning capturing band members from all angles with the massive back screen providing an amazing vista. Thought the 16mm shots provided a nice contrast.

The DVD is a must, and I know in my collection it's going to be enjoyed often - as a performance on it's own right and merits.

Saw it last night and loved it. I was at the O2 show and it was great to hear the detail in the playing. Jimmys playing had some great moments and not so great moments but overall they kicked butts especially Plant.

The biggest dissappointment for me is that they did NOT fix stuff like I thought they would. I suppose its commendable that they left it all out there but I would have fixed more. They attempted to smooth out the dazed trainwreck but it was still a mess. I thought for sure they would steal audio from the rehearsal but they didnt. Maybe the recordings varied too much to do so. If not that they could have manipulated the multitracks more. Jimmy came in a bar late and him and Jason were out of sync. They could have taken his guitar and slid it to line up properly. There is so much you can do. And he had a lot of trouble with his wah feeding back during the bow solo and the outro of the song. Replace that stuff!

I know many will say its not ethical to adjust live recordings but come on we are talking about taking from a rehearsal. It led zeppelin replacing led zeppelin. This film and dvd are a one time deal why not make it the best it could be.

That being said there were many songs that needed no fixing at all. Some truly great performances!

Packed house in Chicago last night but lots of issues. First they started the movie with the lights on and the sound very low. Lots of people screaming "louder." I had to go out four separate times to get the lights off and the sound up to a reasonable volume. It didn't seem like they ever really got it as loud as everyone wanted it, but it was passable. Then several times there were issues with the satellite feed. The movie was stopped entirely during Dazed & Confused and then restarted a few minutes later. Many people were really pissed as this was the only theatre in Chicago where it is showing. They offered everyone full refunds and gave us comp vouchers for a free movie afterwards. I still enjoyed it but the experience was tainted by various technical problems. Other than that one great Page & Plant show I saw at 17yrs old in 1998, this is as close as i'll ever get.

Saw it at Landmark in Denver. After a slow start and many audience shout outs for more volume it got off the ground around For Your Life. I felt the theater sound was pretty good and the nice big chairs were comfortable at the Landmark. That they have a bar there made it better and it was something that kept me there because before long I started losing interest, IMO the film isn't much of a departure or improvement over the bootlegs. Which is a good or bad thing depending on how you view it. Consequently I left after Stairway because I felt as if I was watching a movie I'd seen too many times. Which is true, I dissected that thing more than I should have and obviously knew how it ends. If I have a complaint it was the audience in that particular theater. I felt out of place among the head banging, artificially rowdy over 50 crowd. I really didn't connect with the film or the vibe around me. More about how far I've drifted from LZ than anything. I'm not the hardcore fan I once was. By the end of the night I felt like I had attended the rock and roll version of a Star Trek convention. A large percentage of the people there looked like they still live in Mom's basement despite being middle aged. Probably won't buy the DVD unless there is a special edition that offers more than the O2 show.

Saw the movie last night at the Westbury NY UA theatre. Was greatly disappointed in the audio quality for the first half of the movie.

The volume was way too low but gradually increased thru out the show. The performance however was a joy to see. the four guys simply had a great time.

Did any one else have audio issues at the theatre they attentened last night? I am very curious...and a quite a bit let down. I was expecting to get blown away by the audio.

Please let me know if this was an issue elswhere or only at the Westbury.

wo now....you have to go into the film expecting to see a band that has not been on the road all this time w only 6 weeks rehearsal and under tremendous pressure from their fans to do a show.

Take it easy on them, we asked for what they gave us and to be honest it wasn't all thatbad if you went in with the right head. If you expected to see Zep from the hey day of course you would be disapointed.

The only disappointment I had was the audio problem.. I knew what to expect musically and they did a very good job, sure there were some chaotic musical moments but I'd like to see how you would perform under the same situation. If you want to give all your signed goodies away you can gladly send them to me.

I was fortunate enough to see them live at the Garden in 1975 & 1977. If that's what you were expecting you would be disapointed.

My issue was with the audio problems that according to the reviews of the premier at the Zegfield were not an issue.

I went to Studio Grill in Alpharetta, GA. Took 2 hours to drive there, but I had my LZ CD's in the car for the ride and it was a beautiful day in regards to weather. The theater was probably 98% full for the 7PM show. The theater staff was great about taking a photo. They actually let us in about 10 minutes earlier than usual because it was almost completely sold out and we let them know how excited we were to be at this event!

I talked with a few people while waiting. In the theater we go. Show begins and of course when they mentioned Atlanta in the opening people had to applaud:-) The sound for the first two songs was low, but I knew that from reading the reviews. Then it was great! After every song there was applause, almost like we were at the show. My excitement was at a peak to say the least. All I can do is be honest....I can't explain why but when No Quarter came on my eyes did fill with tears of joy. That was just the first time:-) D&C, STH, Kashmir were also the other standouts for me, not to say that all of it was just captivating.

I loved the way it showed the interaction between them. Very moving for a long time fan. The guy sitting next to me about mid way through leaned over and said "You must be a true fan as you know every word to every song". Hell, even two of the theater people when I was walking out said they saw me singing away to every song:-) I tried to be as quiet as possible to respect others, but before you knew it, most of us were singing along with them. I did a lot of lip syncing last night in public. I couldn't help it.

I closed my eyes a few times and kept thinking back to the shows I saw (73 & 75) and there were moments were I felt transported back to that time. Jason was just amazing. In fact at the end when he put his hand on his heart I freaking lost it, but in a good way! I know his fathers shoes are impossible to fill, but if anyone could it was his son.

I was so proud to be there and be a fan of this music. After all these years and they still took me on another journey. Roberts vocals were fantastic and he still proved what a front man in a band is about. JPJ blew me away as always. He is truly one of the most brilliant musicians I will ever witness in my life time. Then you had the riff master frying the guitar, loved Jimmy's expressions throughout the film. The camera angles were really good on this IMHO.

So to sum it up, they did it right. The legacy they have left not only for them but for so many of us is just amazing. I can't wait for the DVD to arrive and sit back with the big screen and surround sound and do it again and again. I don't know how they have been able to keep so many of us so emotionally attached to the music other than the fact that as from the beginning...IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC, and they are my band, and their songs are associated with so many memories in my life. What a magical night it was!

:notworthy:

Wow ex-Zep-fan, you are a trifecta: deaf, dumb and blind.

I was blown away by the film. I saw it at Studio Movie Grill here in Houston and the sound was perfect. It felt like a concert. I will save my review until tomorrow so I can put my thoughts together properly. I will say that the band should be proud of themselves just as Ahmet Urtegun would be proud of them and most importantly, John Bonham would have been very proud of them, especially his beloved son. Jason was phenomenal!

They obviously had a good time on stage. They were in their own world up there and the admiration they had for Jason was amaxing especially at the end when he finished off rock n roll. It was like Jason had 3 proud papa's wacthing him.

So I can't stand when these guys start ripping them apart for not being ever so perfect.

I'm a drummer for 30 years and fully appreciated the movie as a fan. We all wanted to be there and this is as close as we are gonna get so just take it for what it was. It was a tribute to Ahmet and that's the only reason it happened.

I do hope the DVD does not have the same audio issues...Can't wait to slap that baby in on the surround and crank it up.

OH MY GOD! That was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

That was - *without doubt* - the best cinema experience of my life. I was singing along and everything, applauding after songs, almost interacting with the band members...!

It was only a small theatre, but everybody came out happy! First screening, there were about 10 other people. Second screening, about 50 of us in total

Only negative I have is the song choices/set list: I just would have loved to have heard 'In the Evening', 'The Ocean', and 'Sick Again'

Saw it at Bella Terra in Huntington Beach and after GTBT at the count of 3 the audience yelled "turn it up!" and they did, alot. With the added volume the sound was great. The audience responce was great to each song and many electrifying moments thoughout the show.

They absolutely killed it. Beyond what I expected for all four musicians. I am stoked for them to leave this as a part of their great legacy and so glad they shared it with us.

After last night, I'm going to ebay all the stuff I had you and Robert sign for me, I'm done with you and your pathetic treatment of the fans.

Wow, I don't know what to say to that barrage but . . . . did you put your 'so called' crap on eBay yet? I'm watching and waiting.

That aside, the show/concert was fabulous! I'm so glad I got to see this up on the big screen, the chemistry between all the guys was amazing, a joy to watch! And the music was as good as I remember - loved every minute. The worst part was about 2 songs in I had to use the restroom really bad but dared not leave, I didn't want to miss a minute, so I squirmed and fidgeted through the rest of the show. A tad uncomfortable, but I didn't want to miss a note or remark or look or move.

The last time I saw Led Zeppelin live (and I thought last night was as live as I'm going to get these days), was in Baton Rouge, Feb. 1975 with my then boyfriend who I had been dating for 2 weeks at the time. So I guess it's fitting that I should see their last concert in Baton Rouge with that same man who is now my husband of 33 years. I feel like I came full circle!

We had the same issues as a lot of others here - the volume was simply too low. When it first started with the documentary it was ok at that volume, but when they broke into Good Times Bad Times, I told my husband "no way can they leave the volume this low, it's going to ruin the show". Probably halfway through the song someone got up I guess to complain, they stopped the film, rewound it and started fresh with increased volume. Everyone started cheering and the guy who complained stood up and took a bow. Seems like a lot of these theaters didn't know how Zeppelin fans like their music LOUD! All in all it was a great show and a wonderful evening!

I went to the show last night at the Cineplex here in Calgary. Sound was so so, could have been louder and was played through the standard house system. So, I am certainly looking forward to hearing it on BluRay.

After watching the concert the last 4 years on the numerous bootlegs in circulation, I was still blown away by what i saw. The interaction between the band and the knowing smiles/glances where a joy to see. Jimmy was on fire, (no sticky fingers on this night) Robert in fine voice, reaching and hitting the higher registers with conviction where the impact was needed, John Paul holding down the bottom line with his usual precision and Jason keeping the engine room running smoothly and powerfully. He did his dad proud and proved he is the only drummer worthy of occupying the drum stool.

Highlights for me were

For Your Life

IMTOD

No Quarter

TSRTS

Kashmir

A lot of the between song banter was edited out, which for me, was a bit of a disappointment.

All in all, the mighty Zep laid their legacy on the line that night and delivered the goods hands down, proving that they were/are the best band ever assembled.

I cannot wait to get the BluRay and enjoy this show again in glorious 5:1 sound.

I was there last night as well! I too was disappointed with the editting out of the banter between songs. Not a huge disappointment, but I wonder why remove it at all? Great final show for the boys, anyways!

I went to Studio Grill in Alpharetta, GA. Took 2 hours to drive there, but I had my LZ CD's in the car for the ride and it was a beautiful day in regards to weather. The theater was probably 98% full for the 7PM show. The theater staff was great about taking a photo. They actually let us in about 10 minutes earlier than usual because it was almost completely sold out and we let them know how excited we were to be at this event!

I talked with a few people while waiting. In the theater we go. Show begins and of course when they mentioned Atlanta in the opening people had to applaud:-) The sound for the first two songs was low, but I knew that from reading the reviews. Then it was great! After every song there was applause, almost like we were at the show. My excitement was at a peak to say the least. All I can do is be honest....I can't explain why but when No Quarter came on my eyes did fill with tears of joy. That was just the first time:-) D&C, STH, Kashmir were also the other standouts for me, not to say that all of it was just captivating.

I loved the way it showed the interaction between them. Very moving for a long time fan. The guy sitting next to me about mid way through leaned over and said "You must be a true fan as you know every word to every song". Hell, even two of the theater people when I was walking out said they saw me singing away to every song:-) I tried to be as quiet as possible to respect others, but before you knew it, most of us were singing along with them. I did a lot of lip syncing last night in public. I couldn't help it.

I closed my eyes a few times and kept thinking back to the shows I saw (73 & 75) and there were moments were I felt transported back to that time. Jason was just amazing. In fact at the end when he put his hand on his heart I freaking lost it, but in a good way! I know his fathers shoes are impossible to fill, but if anyone could it was his son.

I was so proud to be there and be a fan of this music. After all these years and they still took me on another journey. Roberts vocals were fantastic and he still proved what a front man in a band is about. JPJ blew me away as always. He is truly one of the most brilliant musicians I will ever witness in my life time. Then you had the riff master frying the guitar, loved Jimmy's expressions throughout the film. The camera angles were really good on this IMHO.

So to sum it up, they did it right. The legacy they have left not only for them but for so many of us is just amazing. I can't wait for the DVD to arrive and sit back with the big screen and surround sound and do it again and again. I don't know how they have been able to keep so many of us so emotionally attached to the music other than the fact that as from the beginning...IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC, and they are my band, and their songs are associated with so many memories in my life. What a magical night it was!

:notworthy:

What a great review Deb! I wish we lived closer so we could have experienced this together! You really summed up my feelings viewing this event. I was also singing every word, humming every note and doing so, so I wouldn't bother others - LOL! And Jason, OMG he was amazing and the report he had with the other members, it was heartwarming to see.

In reading your review, all I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto every word . . . . Thanks for being so eloquent!!!!!!!

I was there last night as well! I too was disappointed with the editting out of the banter between songs. Not a huge disappointment, but I wonder why remove it at all? Great final show for the boys, anyways!

Are you the fellow who won the draw? If so, I was the guy speaking with you about it last night after the show.

What a great review Deb! I wish we lived closer so we could have experienced this together! You really summed up my feelings viewing this event. I was also singing every word, humming every note and doing so, so I wouldn't bother others - LOL! And Jason, OMG he was amazing and the report he had with the other members, it was heartwarming to see.

In reading your review, all I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto every word . . . . Thanks for being so eloquent!!!!!!!

Hello My Friend!

I wanted to post last night, but I was just done!! I had not slept the night before because of the excitement. It's funny that you said that about living closer together. I was thinking last night that the only thing that could have made being there any better would have been to be able to share it with the people here I have become attached to. I know when you and I talked about being at the same show together, not even knowing each other and now because of this band and this forum I have so many wonderful new people in my life. I hope our guys know just what an impact they have truly made to so many of us. I'll call you over the weekend :-)

PHENOMENAL!!! :notworthy:

Sorry...that's all I have time for right now.

Thanks to a miracle of timing and TWO opening acts, I was able to see "Celebration Day" last night AND make it to the Neil Young concert at the Hollywood Bowl, arriving as he was into his third or fourth song. I'll explain it all when I write my review after I see "Celebration Day" again tonight.

Right now, I'm at work and I'm also trying to arrange for some tickets to the Paul Weller and Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings concert Friday night.

But until I get a chance to write a proper review, I will say that the theatre was about 90% full(300-seater), the screen was large and there was no problem with the sound. It was loud but not LOUD at first, but by Ramble On they had it louder and by Black Dog it was positively CRANKED! You could feel the bass rumble through your seat and your body. The balance between the instruments was clear.

In other words, we didn't have the sound problems so many are complaining about.

More to come...after my second viewing tonight. :yay:

PHENOMENAL!!! :notworthy:

Sorry...that's all I have time for right now.

Thanks to a miracle of timing and TWO opening acts, I was able to see "Celebration Day" last night AND make it to the Neil Young concert at the Hollywood Bowl, arriving as he was into his third or fourth song. I'll explain it all when I write my review after I see "Celebration Day" again tonight.

Right now, I'm at work and I'm also trying to arrange for some tickets to the Paul Weller and Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings concert Friday night.

But until I get a chance to write a proper review, I will say that the theatre was about 90% full(300-seater), the screen was large and there was no problem with the sound. It was loud but not LOUD at first, but by Ramble On they had it louder and by Black Dog it was positively CRANKED! You could feel the bass rumble through your seat and your body. The balance between the instruments was clear.

In other words, we didn't have the sound problems so many are complaining about.

More to come...after my second viewing tonight. :yay:

Let us know about Neil Young as well

My uncle and I are huge zeppelin fans been waiting for anything about their reunion show to happen since it happened in 07. Then we were blessed with jimmy's great vision of this. Amazing zeppelin in concert the only way we can see them now. Hells yeah. Well got 6 tickets online 2 months ago. Went last night everything great feeling good. Thought it was gonna be in imax Nope owell still will be great. Previews start playing for taken 2 which I saw over a week ago seemed odd. Then the screen went blank nothing at all ran out to see what was going on and people were saying " they can't show it, they don't have the encryption key" well they were right they didn't have this key to show the film and a whole theater of people were completely let down. They did refund us our 12.50 and gave is complimentary passes but none of that matters. Seeing jimmy and the rest of the band on the big screen was gonna be the highlight of my year. There was people literally crying afterwards. Was reading about what an encryption key is for a movie and it says that if its used at the wrong time for a certain film that the film wont play. Thinking they used the key at the wrong time and once they did they couldn't use it again idk.

Archived