Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

Agree that the Kashmir riff has fuller textured sound with the lespaul. Jones keyboards much better sounding too, ethereal at times. The versions from the 70 s seem more meandering in the meandering section...and more of a stark sound with the danelectro, a distance to it. As plant said about writing it, wanting to get there one day. This new version kind of elevates and moves differently..more confidence possibly. Like they've already been to Kashmir and are just steaming ahead to get there again. Amazing vocals by plant, this version on official cd will be so listenable. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the bootlegs have been listenin to this show over past five yrs and ofcourse hear the differences from the 70 s recordings that are sometimes overwhelmed by jones bass pedals and or bonhams bass drum..or vocals and guitar sounding tinny. I'm looking forward to hearing the recording and seeing the movie.

One thing about Kashmir for me, was, it proved beyond all doubt that it sounds better played on his Les Paul rather than, the Danelectro.

Then as it was, so again it shall be.......

On the Danelectro to me, it did sound more urgent and more raw, driven type of sound.

I freaking loved it. Brought back so many great memories from that night. I didn't realize how much they were smiling during the show and I loved JPJ fretless bass. My only minor complaint was that they cut out Robert's comments before Kashmir. Those comments showed how important the reunion was to people around the globe. Otherwise, a masterpiece.

...Wolfman, this is precisely what I felt about this particular statement; Robert that night naturally captured the essence of Led Zeppelin... Universal Truth of Musical Genius Led Zeppelin, Band of Global Audience, and future impact of that statement to younger audience would have been enormous; Led Zeppelin's place in history as far as Youth is concerned remains in a category by itself...Perhaps the Director could have shown the edits with the Credits, the ending would have been enjoyable and yet completed the Legendary Story of That spectacular Night...

I think there were just a few edits, but the value of speech is important...

Saw the movie last night. For Your Life was my favorite song of the night maybe because I have never heard it live and its one of my favorite Zep cuts off of my favorite Zep album. But they nailed it. I was so ecstatic once the song was finished I had to cheer.

I have heard many live versions of Kashmir and Nobody's Fault But Mine live but I have to say the O2 cuts are the best versions I ever heard highlighted by the amazing Bonzo channeled drumming from Jason. Jimmy and JPJ were still out of this world but for me Jason stole the show. He's the only drummer in the world that can end Rock n' Roll like his dad. I loved watching Percy, JPJ and Pagey checking out Jason during the drum solo and smiling. Awesome moment.

Misty Mountain Hop had a great groove with a alot of energy. TSRTS is one of the best live Zep songs of all-time and it shows they can still put it off. Jason shined on this track as well.

No Quarter and SIBLY, IMTOD (along with FYL) were the best performances from Jimmy. He's still got it. Those guitar solos prove he's still the best. I can't seem to stop talking about Jason but I can tell he really inspired Jimmy and the rest of the guys with his attack on the kit.

Lowlights for me was Stairway To Heaven. In my opinion it appeared like they didn't want to play that tune. It sounded rushed and boring. Jimmy's guitar solo and riffs did not show the true wizardry of Page. He can cast spells with his guitar; not on this song. Jason still sounded great and Percy's vocals were splendid.

Dazed and Confused even with the little mess up towards the end was still awesome. I recall Jimmy looking at the sound guy to turn down his monitors during his bow solo (feedback issues I believe) which was still super cool. I love the way they end that song live. The best ending to a live song ever.

The best concert movie I have ever seen. Will see it many more times.

Edited by Jimmy's Dragon Suit

I saw the movie on Wednesday night in Paramus, New Jersey. Fabulous conditions, what with the digital IMAX technology. My only complaint was the choice of setlist. Yes, no setlist is going to please everyone, but I think one or two quieter, accoustic numbers would have added to the vibe. After all, this light and shade thing was what Zeppelin were all about. Don't get me wrong, I love the whole riff-heavy rock and roll stuff, but not when it's the whole show.

Lowlights for me was Stairway To Heaven. In my opinion it appeared like they didn't want to play that tune. It sounded rushed and boring. Jimmy's guitar solo and riffs did not show the true wizardry of Page. He can cast spells with his guitar; not on this song. Jason still sounded great and Percy's vocals were splendid.

Everything was good in the performance of STH except for the solo. It was a huge letdown for sure....

The best concert movie I have ever seen. Will see it many more times.

How many more times?

Edited by Taro

Incredible! I saw it at Universal City Walk in L.A. last night with two friends, and we all loved it. I wrote a mini-review on it, in my blog

http://stacilaynewil...lin-biopic.html

I was so amazed by the audience reaction.

Staci Layne

Staci, Enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for sharing the link. In fact, I bookmarked it to read again at a later date.

Also, loved your casting if ever there was to be a Led Zeppelin movie. Pretty accurate IMO.

Hey all you 'powers that be' in Hollywood, Staci's got a good idea!

Edited by justawoman

Saw it last night in a Chicago area theater. It was wonderful to say the very least. Fantastic! The sound was wonderful, the crowd in the theater was fun and everyone had a great time. The performance, of course, was top notch. Jason Bonham was amazing. It was magnified on the big screen. No band could get back together and have the chemistry they had on that night in 2007. I can't wait for the DVD. This concert just showed me even more why they're the best band ever. All 4 guys were on the top of their games. It was well worth the price of admission.

Saw it on the 17th for the 8pm showing in Germany and really, I'm still blown away!!

There isn't really anything new to add, besides that I felt truly honoured to have experienced this. The auditorium was full so the atmosphere was good and I saw loads of smiles in the audience. I think I smiled for 2 hours non-stop. I never got to see them live in the 70's (simply cause I wasn't born then) and missed the concert in 2007 (cause I wasn't a fan then), THIS movie was really the last chance to experience any incarnation of Zeppelin. These 2 hours certainly rank as the most enjoyable and emotional in my life. The smiles between the lads, the dynamics as a whole and that intense feeling of companionship was just wonderful to watch.

I'm going to another screening on Monday and hope to really see things that I didn't see on the 17th, it all went by so quickly. Too quickly :tears:

One last thing from me: I bow to Zeppelin for keeping their profile high after all these years and ending on a high rather than on a low. Thank you Led Zeppelin for the joy you continue to give me and for making this possible!!!

watching at the movie, I have felt a strong emotion, but basicly for the symbolic value of this "Celebration day", and also for the fact we were watching at it all together all over the world, united by the same strong passion (and I have tought to the song "the Ocean")....well....I think that this bunch of dear old men LOL are still good, great, speaking about their technical level, also if I am not a musician like many of you over here so I cannot speak about the level of the execution of every single note, but I wasn't expecting to watch a wonderful, mind-blowing concert, because for this there is TSRTS, as well as all the videos on this site and on you tube of their best concerts, when they were really Gods...while this reunion IMO has been great for the Celebration of their fame, their mith, that deserves to last till nowadays, so much so that in the cinema where I was over here there were so many young boys, teenagers, 16, 17 years old, with the LZ t-shirt and this is incredible, fantastic, huge…actually the volume of the sound, as many of you is complaining, was incredibly low, I don’t know why, LZ are terribly powerfull, and so it is absurd to listen to them in this way....anyway, what I have appreciated more has been the feelings, the glances among them, the way they stay together on stage again, expecially their way to look at jason and what his presence on that stage represents, and the antological explaination of how they took the blues of the 30th and with their "special treatment" it became something else, great, ethernal in fact I have enjoyed very much " in my time of dying " and "nobody's fault but mine", where the LZ "hard blues" is more evident, while I have to say that I have suffered a bit watching at " dazed and confused" because I adore it, and the image of that sort of pagan ritual when jimmy, playing guitar with the violin bow looks alike a sort of officiant of a mysteric cult, in my mind is forever linked to TSRTS, and so now watching at this old man doing the same has been a bit sad...in this sense I must say that I think Robert is right, it has been much more better to do only a one shot, a celebrative concert, and not a reunion with more tour dates all over the world....there is a time for everything....they are great, they will be for ever the best rock band ever, but now they are another thing, always good, very good, if you compare with many groups of the present, but another thing.....these have been my impressions at the end of this movie.....expecially looking at Robert, when he is looking at jimmy doing his solos, I had the impression that he wants to say: we have been great, the greatest ever, but now we are these....he (jimmy) is always prisoner of our past, but dear public, tell me, are you really sure that you want to see this again and again? Let's have this Celebration, and then stop it before we spoil everything...I am not sure wether this is really Robert's thinking or mine LOL......but these have been my feelings at the end of the movie .........

I saw the movie Wednesday night in Orlando, FL at the Festival Bay Mall. Sound was clear but could have been much louder. I purchased my tickets online and paid $15 each, brought my 16 year old son.

Finally seeing the movie was an emotional and powerful experience for me as a Zep fanatic since the late 70s. I have followed every step of their jouney since and had naturally "seen" this concert in one way or another since it occurred. However, nothing matched the professional quality of video and sound. For me, the highlights were watching the concert open, NFBM, D&C, NQ, and of course, the ultimate pinnacle, Kashmir. Rock and Roll was a great ending to a great night. I was very impressed by Robert's voice, Jimmy looked amazingly agile, and John Paul Jones was uber-solid as always. His consistent contribution to the greatness that is Led Zeppelin will never fully be appreciated. I thought Jason did a great job, and was as good as any drummer not named John Bonham could possibly be. I did miss John's unmatched brilliance throughout the show, but Jason was very impressive and the only possible alternative to play this concert.

At the end of the movie.. my overall emotion was great melancholy sadness. Since Led Zeppelin disbanded, which was before I had the privilege of seeing them in concert, I have dreamed of the day when i would finally see them in concert. I have seen Robert Plant solo twice, Jimmy with the Firm, and the two of them together in '95, but always held out hope that someday I would get the chance to see the three of them finally reunite, with Jason on drums. The recent interviews and Robert's persistence to avoid the topic convinced me once and for all that this was the last time these three men, whose music has been such a major part of my life, will ever perform together. Someday we will look back and realize this was the perfect ending... but it also gives me a sense of mortality, for them and myself, that this chapter has closed, in my mind, for good.

Thank You, Led Zeppelin, for a gift of musical joy that I can never repay. Your last performance was everything a Led Zeppelin show should be: Powerful, Unique, Moving, Imperfect, Funny, Retrospective, and Inspirational. I'm so glad you shared this great night with the ~ 980,000 of us who didn't have our number drawn in the fall of '07.

Saw the movie with my partner in Vue cinema Norwich UK on Wed night. Cinema only 3/4 full which was a shame, but what an experience! To my ears they absolutely nailed every song (with the possible exception of STH which I thought Jimmy handled a little clunkily and without the beautiful arpeggios of the TSRTS version.) Standouts for me were D and C (JImmy still has the mystique), FYL (stunning with those whammy bar chords and rock tight backing), and Kashmir (this took the cinema crowd to a place beyond mere music with Robert in particular almost unbelievable on this.)

Amazing how comfortable and relaxed the four of them appeared as this was a 'one shot only' deal with an awful lot to lose. If they'd repeated MSG '88 here then their entire post-Bonzo live reputation would have been lost and those ready to ridicule would have had a feast.

As far as the sound and visuals went, we couldn't really ask for more could we? The sound was damn near perfect to me, overflowing with raw power but abundant with clarity, precision, detail, and separation between instruments. The visuals too were pretty damn stunning. I, like others on the forum, could have lived without so much 16mm stuff which, to me, just spolied a few shots (noticeably the shot of Page smiling appreciatively at Plant's awesomely powerful 'oooo' in Kasmir, this was visible on the bootleg but replaced by grainy 16mm on the movie.) Ah well, an insignificant gripe.

Who cares that these guys now look old on stage? They are old. If anything this gives me heart (as I enter middle-age) that getting older may just not be so bad.

As one born in 1970 this is as close as I'll ever get to 'seeing' them and feel very grateful that they put this out.

Thank you Led Zeppelin, you gave us so much.

Do you mean the lead guitar solo in Stairway to Heaven? I believe that is a good thing as I always preferred the studio version of this song above all others. The lead is more effective in this song if its is not overdone. So to me he made the right choice and recognized this.

I saw it friday. Fantastic. I am on LZ and Plant concerts mode since :bubble:

Page starts the show with its nice suit and brushing and finish it completely wet looking like a mad professor. Plant is classy with nice shoes.

No quarter and Kashmir were very impressive.

The sound is brilliant (the Bluray audio in 48/24 is for sale). I place an order for deluxe set with the dvd with rehearsals.

I understand Monkeyonmyback. There is something a bit sad when you are 45 like me. I saw Page Plant in 95 (why did I miss 98 shows ?? :wizard: I cannot remember). And now it is over. Like Bowie retired, like Stones will very soon. Those major artits wil be gone..

I wish I could be 20 during the 70's

Edited by jfp

I went Wednesday night at a theatre in suburban New Orleans (Harahan). The sound was too low but at least clear and balanced (to my ears). The theatre was 90-95% full. Audience was yelling "louder" and "turn it up" for first few songs. A couple of shots in the first few minutes were pixilated. The sound improved somewhat but was not as loud as I would have liked. I enjoyed the movie and thought the band sounded great. Robert started a bit slowly but seemed to warm up and enjoy himself more as the concert went on. Jimmy seemed sharp to me (non-musician who finds Page's ability so overwhelming that he could play Mary Had A Little Lamb and I'd be in awe) so maybe I'm missing something but in this case ignorance was bliss. Being over 40 now I enjoyed the more direct versions of the songs. I had to be up at 6 the next morning and had an hour drive home so 2 hours was ok for me although I'm sure many wanted some extended jams or a few extra numbers added. The crowd clapped and cheered at times. Like many others I found the interaction between the band members very emotional. Overall well worth the wait. Just for perspective I put on TSRTS just now and considering the passage of time and all the water under the bridge I'm really impressed how well they did at the O2. Finally, I agree with those who believe Jason added vital energy to the performance. I imagine it was a very powerful and meaningful night for him. I'd really like a chance to shake his hand and offer a sincere thank you and tell him he is now truly part of Zeppelin, despite what anyone else might say. Looking forward to watching really loud at home.

OMG, Zeppelin are so awesome, let's all kiss their asses....

Dude, what's up with you? We all know you're bitter. Why don't you just crawl back under the rock from which you came.

Added note:

Sam, as soon as I replied to this, I noticed all of his posts were gone. Thank you for that. Feel free to remove my reply. I just couldn't let a statement like that go unchallenged.

Edited by justawoman

second viewing...

I didn't expect to see so much that I missed before, I was drawn more to Jason and JPJ this time. Jimmy's right hand as well. I found myself just enjoying it more passively- it was so much to take in fully the first time.

A few friends went tonight in a small group and they were blown away. Nice to see the reaction even during the newsreel part. Feet tapping, body language and fear on their face during the finale of IMTOD and utter dismay during Kashmir. Just walked in the house and realized that they really did do it. Really.

Much respect and appreciation.