Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

The thing that struck me about the movie (aside from the stunningly great musical talent of those involved) was the "honesty" of it all. And I think that's ultimately what makes Zep so incredible for me. Sure, Jimmy used mulitple guitar dubs on a lot of studio stuff, but they have wisely never tried to duplicate any of that in a live setting. In a world these days when you don't know what's live and what's "Memorex", they've always just figured out an arrangement for the live performance and went with it. This wasn't like The Eagles' last tour where they had 5 sidemen, backup singers, and a freaking horn section. This was the members of Led Zeppelin and nothing else. Pure, honest, and crystal clear in focus and performance.

It doesn't get any better than that.

The thing that struck me about the movie (aside from the stunningly great musical talent of those involved) was the "honesty" of it all. And I think that's ultimately what makes Zep so incredible for me. Sure, Jimmy used mulitple guitar dubs on a lot of studio stuff, but they have wisely never tried to duplicate any of that in a live setting. In a world these days when you don't know what's live and what's "Memorex", they've always just figured out an arrangement for the live performance and went with it. This wasn't like The Eagles' last tour where they had 5 sidemen, backup singers, and a freaking horn section. This was the members of Led Zeppelin and nothing else. Pure, honest, and crystal clear in focus and performance.

well said !

i read that the soundman turned up jimmys monitors during the bow section so the feedback was relentless therefore the whole bow section lost its flare due to constant adjustments by page, he said thats something they would of worked on had there been more shows! i noticed they left in the mistake too, good on em!

I'm a lucky man today! The final showings of "Celebration Day" in the whole state of Texas happen tonight in Dallas just a few miles from my house. I'm attending both the 7:00 and 9:30 showings. I figured since it was the last time it would ever be shown in theaters, I would "go big or go home". So I bought tickets for both.

P.S.: Another theater near me is showing a series of concert films this month, and "The Song Remains The Same" is showing in a couple of weeks.

OK, after watching three times, here’s my review:

Dates and Places

· Premiere at Hammersmith 12th October

· Greenwich PictureHouse 18th October

· Westfield Vue 21st October (a day out with the TBL crew)

My visit to the O2 Cineworld, right next to where they originally performed the gig, had to be cancelled, due to Pete Townshend scheduling his Q&A on the Celebration Day itself. That ticket went to my mate instead.

Some general thoughts first: Difficult to imagine this could have been captured any better. Glad they didn't go for the 3D fad or anything like that. I’m curious as to what this would like on an IMAX screen though. The video and sound qualities are both what I would expect in the 21st century, and I didn't notice too many ‘improvements’. The thing that stood out most for me was witnessing the interaction between the guys on stage. It certainly looks like they all had a ball, especially when they were able to loosen up after the first couple of numbers.

In comparison with TSRTS, obviously the earlier movie had the greatest drummer in the world behind the kit, and at that time they were all in their prime, with superb performances. Having said that, I could never really get into the fantasy sequences (I’m sure they could have filled in the gaps some other way), and it’s well documented they re-shot some of the footage. In Celebration Day, we have the advantage of a bunch of songs from Physical Graffiti and Presence, recorded with pinpoint accuracy.

Although the Third Eye DVD and Blu-ray obviously couldn't match this, they have done a sterling job of filling the five-year gap, and capture the evening more faithfully (if less selectively) in a way…the feedback and a few of Robert’s plantations have been excised in the official version of events, as have Jason’s bit of solo singing, and his ‘not worthy’ bow at the end, but they were all part of what really happened, warts ‘n’ all.

Compared with the concert itself, my perspective on the night, about 20 feet in front of the mixing desk was somewhat compromised by having to see over everybody’s heads, but I had a reasonable view most of the time, and could, of course, see everything happening on the screen behind the stage. The movie provides a deluxe view of proceedings, which was certainly missing from the Third Eye boot and YouTube footage. I had no issues at all with fixing the feedback, and as far as I could tell, at the end of Dazed and Confused, it just sounded like the drums had been pushed down in the mix, rather than actually re-recorded…I could be wrong on that count! Another difference which certainly can’t be reproduced was the fact that the moment they launched into Good Times, Bad Times was the climax of two nervous months for me; having scored my passcode on eBay I was constantly worried that things might go wrong, and the ticket be cancelled at the last moment! The Sunday and Monday, collecting the tickets and getting psyched up for finally seeing the band again after a 28 year wait, securing the spot on the floor of the arena, watching to the support acts…it was all part of the story. Celebration Day opens a couple of minutes before the first number, and believe me, by that time it felt like an aircraft you have been sitting in for ages had finally started taxiing up the runway!

Some specifics:

There were a few elements in Dazed and Confused that I felt were missing on screen. First of all, I’m sure I remember the whole arena being covered with lasers, which created an amazing atmosphere; this doesn't really come over in the film; maybe I’m looking back through rose-tinted spectacles? Secondly, I distinctly remember seeing Jimmy’s right hand turn into a blur at Knebworth…and the same thing happened for a couple of seconds at the O2. The movie cameras caught this to an extent, but not at the angle I saw on the projection behind the stage on the night. Finally, the sound during the bow solo as it echoed around the arena didn't come across for me in the same way , but that’s probably impossible to reproduce; a genuine ‘you had to be there’ moment.

One slightly annoying thing for me at the gig was that the bass seemed a bit indistinct early on, especially as I picked a spot in the expectation that the sound balance would be best. The movie certainly gives JPJ the right emphasis in the mix. I sure didn't realize he was using a fretless bass, little details like that provides a far more comprehensive picture.

As I mentioned, the close-ups allow a good indication as to the on-stage chemistry, much more than I was aware of. I've got to be honest, it seems like Robert, far from being the party-pooper who won’t allow them to reform, was actually the one having the most fun!

Jimmy’s guitar is certainly a lot clearer than I've heard before. I suppose they had a direct feed from his amps; I would like to think that he hasn't interfered too much in this area.

To sum up, no doubt I’ll notice even more once I have the time to study the DVD when it comes out, but I doubt I will ever match seeing it on the big screen, surrounded by other die-hard fans like at the Hammersmith premiere. Having the members of the band come on and introduce it really was the icing on the cake.

P.S. Congratulations to all those in the audience who made it to the final cut. Who was that girl crying at the end of Kashmir, I wonder?

As someone else noted...well said!

This is why I haven't bothered to post my thoughts on the movie yet. With great posts like these, along with SuperDave, Rock Historian, planted, justawoman, Deborah, and others, there's really no need for me to write.

As someone else noted...well said!

This is why I haven't bothered to post my thoughts on the movie yet. With great posts like these, along with SuperDave, Rock Historian, planted, justawoman, Deborah, and others, there's really no need for me to write.

You have exceptionally good writing skills and if you have a spare time, don't hesitate to write a review.

One small issue I have with the editing. During "Good Time Bad Times", the start of the second chorus isn't sung by Robert. I went back and looked at the fan shot stuff and realized he was holding out the microphone to the crowd encouraging them to sing. But since Cartuthers didn't edit the film to show that, if you didn't know better, you would think Robert forgot to sing or his microphone went out or something. Otherwise, Iike the people said earier in this thread, Jones'ys boots playing the bass pedals, and just the smiles and grins everyone flashes are very memorable for me. I also love when Jason gets down from the drums after Kashmir and Jimmy rubs his head. He looks like he's very close to tears at that point. You can just tell the three of them were blown away by him the whole evening.

I didn't make it to the early showing last night, worked late and made the 9:30

love your observations- the more you see Celebration Day, the more there is to see. Need my Blu-ray package to show up... tick...tick...tick

One small issue I have with the editing. During "Good Time Bad Times", the start of the second chorus isn't sung by Robert. I went back and looked at the fan shot stuff and realized he was holding out the microphone to the crowd encouraging them to sing. But since Cartuthers didn't edit the film to show that, if you didn't know better, you would think Robert forgot to sing or his microphone went out or something. Otherwise, Iike the people said earier in this thread, Jones'ys boots playing the bass pedals, and just the smiles and grins everyone flashes are very memorable for me. I also love when Jason gets down from the drums after Kashmir and Jimmy rubs his head. He looks like he's very close to tears at that point. You can just tell the three of them were blown away by him the whole evening.

I just watched the Kashmir clip from Celebration Day online and even though it is just a small screen and computer speakers, it made my Friday afternoon. Even having seen the movie, that riff and keyboard interaction just brings vistas of exotic locales into your mind's eye and really reminds you of how powerful Zep's music really is. I think the Edge may have said it best in the outtake from It Might Get Loud where he describes the drum part of Kashmir as "ominous". They really went all in on this one. Wow, just, Wow!! I may have to show this to my son's friends who listen to Blink 182 to remind them of who is boss.

Page held back until midway and then came out with incredible technique and expression in particular apropos working of the whammy pedal which I did not really appreciate in the boots or initial viewing of Celebration Day

Even having seen the movie, that riff and keyboard interaction just brings vistas of exotic locales into your mind's eye and really reminds you of how powerful Zep's music really is

I just watched the Kashmir clip from Celebration Day online and even though it is just a small screen and computer speakers, it made my Friday afternoon. Even having seen the movie, that riff and keyboard interaction just brings vistas of exotic locales into your mind's eye and really reminds you of how powerful Zep's music really is. I think the Edge may have said it best in the outtake from It Might Get Loud where he describes the drum part of Kashmir as "ominous". They really went all in on this one. Wow, just, Wow!! I may have to show this to my son's friends who listen to Blink 182 to remind them of who is boss.

I saw the online clip as well. I can't wait to hear and see it with my H/T equipment. The neighbors will know I'm a Zep fan for sure!!

Jeff

I was lucky enough to win a couple of tickets to the premiere of Celebration Day at the Hammy Odeon (or Apollo if you're being pedantic) which was held recently. If you are any kind if Zeppelin fan, then this is the DVD/Video for you as it was absolutely BRILLIANT.

The three of them, Page, Plant and Jones were introduced to us by Harvey Goldsmith. On they came to introduce the film itself and Plant commented that "If it seems we're having a good time on stage in the film, it's because we were" (or words to that effect).

You could easily forget you were watching a film and we were clapping and cheering every number. biggrin.gifclap.gifclap.gifdance.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I think that the version of Stairway is probably the best version I've ever heard, and as for Kashmir - well.............. clap.gif

Jason Bonham filled his Dad's boots brilliantly but wasn't there this evening.

Archived