Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

Oh and it would be remiss of me not to mention that JPJ is a monster on the Bass!! simply the best

I wanted to second your comment supporting JPJ. Wow, is just awesome and heartwarming to see JPJ playing the bass with such grace, mastery, dexterity, enjoyment, etc.. Lots of great shots of JPJ jamming. TSRTS takes me away.

yeah JPJ really lets it rip on TSRTS, actually the whole band really nails that one, but yeah that's one where JPJ starts ripping off fills all over the place and just in general is all over the neck. It's always cool when someone like him who's typically such a reserved player gets aggressive and doesn't just take a backseat supporting everything. He's absolutely rock solid all over this show, and he's got some great boots beating the snot out of those bass pedals when he's on keys.

I just saw the blu-ray last night at a friends house and now must own this myself. Went to a few stores and nobody has it in stock so came back home to find it on the internet and was lucky to get hooked up. Ended up finding this forum as well and so this makes for double good luck.

This DVD is awesome! Read a few complaints about how it was edited but I don't agree. What a great representation of a great celebration day in London.

All I can say is thank God I live with no neighbors around me. I am listening to it again. My house is literally vibrating as I have it CRANKED!!!!! Actually enjoying it better on my flat screen and sound system at home. The sound is amazing :yay: Just gets better and better every time I listen to it. :thumbsup:

I too enjoyed it more at home. I actually got to watch it at home instead of what amounted to looking at it while being distracted by people around me at the theater. :P

It's a solid release, completely worthy of being part of the Zeppelin legacy.

Just watching O2, "Dazed and Confused"....look for the quick mirror image of Page during the bow solo. I wonder if that was a little homage to The Song Remains the Same?

Yep, I noticed that!

I didn't see it at the cinema. I bought a blu-ray player especially for this release and it was well worth it.

I had the 2CD/Blu-ray/DVD delivered on Tuesday. I listened to the CD's first at work and decided to watch the DVD on Thursday before the main event.

I watched the blu-ray for the first time on Friday and loved every second. It reminded me of how I felt the first time I saw "The Song Remains The Same" on VHS as a 13 year old in the mid-eighties.

I can't wait to see it again! Not just yet though. Maybe next Friday? :)

This release has satisified my three criteria for a concert release:

1. Listening to it on a road trip

2. Listening to it in the office while on the computer working

3. Watching and listening to it on my HD 7.1 home theater setup

The additional #4 criteria not usually associated with a live DVD/Blu-ray/CD release is that it kicked proverbial ass in the theater a month or so ago as well.

headbang.gif

Celebration Day exceeds my expectations and keeps surprising me on each listen. The bonus DVD with the full rehearsal is just an unbelievable gift to the fans.

What a great current release from Led Zeppelin and if it happens to be the last hurrah then what a way to go out putting a cherry on top of their legacy.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to enjoy the thick fudge and whipped cream for a long to come. B)

A truly unexpected great release from a band we all thought was gone but not forgotten. All I keep thinking is, "Wow." yikes.gif

I only wish I could have been there on that celebratory day in 2007. webers.gif

Yep, I noticed that!

I didn't see it at the cinema. I bought a blu-ray player especially for this release and it was well worth it.

I had the 2CD/Blu-ray/DVD delivered on Tuesday. I listened to the CD's first at work and decided to watch the DVD on Thursday before the main event.

I watched the blu-ray for the first time on Friday and loved every second. It reminded me of how I felt the first time I saw "The Song Remains The Same" on VHS as a 13 year old in the mid-eighties.

sounds like you have all bases covered with all formats....I agree with you re:'first time seeing TSRTS"....I was 16 in 1980 myself and saw it in a theatre in Toronto...I was in awe of the buildup and then mesmerized when they kicked into Rock and Roll, and have never forgotten the first time seeing it ...saw it another couple of times in a theatre and then bought the VHS and eventually got the dvd and then the re-mastered version not too long ago. ....the O2 is fantastic!....Kashmir especially is fantastic (I get a little choked up from the 3/4 mark until the end of that tune. Plant just brings it!)...enjoy the Zeps Ady!...cheers Rich aka F-head

sounds like you have all bases covered with all formats....I agree with you re:'first time seeing TSRTS"....I was 16 in 1980 myself and saw it in a theatre in Toronto...I was in awe of the buildup and then mesmerized when they kicked into Rock and Roll, and have never forgotten the first time seeing it ...saw it another couple of times in a theatre and then bought the VHS and eventually got the dvd and then the re-mastered version not too long ago. ....the O2 is fantastic!....Kashmir especially is fantastic (I get a little choked up from the 3/4 mark until the end of that tune. Plant just brings it!)...enjoy the Zeps Ady!...cheers Rich aka F-head

I can appreciate those who never saw Zep in concert that will take anything they can get live. Unfortuneatly for me TSRTS is NOT the Zep I saw in Tampa that same year. I saw it in theaters when it first came out, bought the VHS, and the newer DVD with the Tampa news cast and Celebration Day the song. This new release blows away TSRTS in every way. And Kashmir as I've stated before has to be one of the most powerful live performaces EVER by a band.

Jeff

I can appreciate those who never saw Zep in concert that will take anything they can get live. Unfortuneatly for me TSRTS is NOT the Zep I saw in Tampa that same year. I saw it in theaters when it first came out, bought the VHS, and the newer DVD with the Tampa news cast and Celebration Day the song. This new release blows away TSRTS in every way. And Kashmir as I've stated before has to be one of the most powerful live performaces EVER by a band.

Jeff

Well, I agree, but at the age of 13 I was a lot more easily impressed than what I am now. It would have to take something very special to replicate that feeling. I'm happy to say "Celebration Day" accomplished that.

The closest I've ever come to seeing Zeppelin live is Page & Plant at Glastonbury '95. I attempted to get tickets for O2, 2007, but no luck.

Yeah, I've since bought it twice on DVD. I wore the VHS out!

Cheers!

I love Jimmys use of the Whammy pedal during the show............its so subtle in Kashmir and perfect for NFBM....... incorporating the pedal through out the show was a nice touch. I cant think of another tour where he used it this much.

I love Jimmys use of the Whammy pedal during the show............its so subtle in Kashmir and perfect for NFBM....... incorporating the pedal through out the show was a nice touch. I cant think of another tour where he used it this much.

I have to agree that I too liked it in some of the songs although I wish he had not used it in Trampled Under Foot and just played straight. I thought his soloing in that tune was kinda lame.......othere than that I thought he played really great.

Yep, I noticed that!

Welcome to the Blu Ray world!! If you are a fan, even just a little, may I suggest Toto, Falling In Between Live, awesome concert in every way! I must say, Some are commenting on Dazed And Confused. Whoever did the camera work should be shot, hung and sent to the Afghan front (a take on Hogans Heros). They should have stayed back during the bow solo to show the pyramid instead they choose to get up close mixed with some semi far shots.

Jeff

I have to agree that I too liked it in some of the songs although I wish he had not used it in Trampled Under Foot and just played straight. I thought his soloing in that tune was kinda lame.......othere than that I thought he played really great.

yeah the first trampled solo is the one time that he kinda goes overboard with the whammy, but even there it's a cool deviation from what you expect to hear. Otherwise, love his use of whammy on Nobody's Fault But Mine, Kashmir, and Whole Lotta Love, very sporadic and just done to accent something in a lick here and there. I think he only uses it in those 4 tunes, but most of the time yeah he uses it to good effect.

Just re-watched the concert on the Blu-Ray disc, and it was just as awesome as when I saw it in a theater last month. This time around, I was able to find new little things about the concert that I didn't notice the first time around. They just get better and better with each and every viewing. The packaging, quality, and the overall amount of content that was released is just awesome! I couldn't be happier to finally own it for myself.

I've really been enjoying the rehearsal footage. In some way's, I'm finding it even more enjoyable than the concert footage itself. For it alone, it's definitely worth getting the deluxe edition !

SORRY not sure if this should go here,but it struck me while watching the Celebration Day dvd either of the last 2 songs there is a close up of Jason with his tongue sticking out while playing that goes right back to the scene in TSRTS where his playing drums again with his tongue sticking out & he just looks exactly the same!

loved this review via twitter

Does anyone know how I can get my 8yr old daughter's letter about her fav guitarist Jimmy Page 2 him? pic.twitter.com/uBCxiHoF

That is the most precious fan letter ever written!!

I hope Jimmy learns of its existence and reads it! :cheer:

I couldn't figure out where to post this, so I'll just post it here... It's an excerpt from Guitar World, where Zep talks about the show. Also you should spend some time digging through the GW archives - there's a lot of good stuff in there :)

http://www.guitarworld.com/excerpt-led-zeppelin-discuss-their-2007-reunion-show

I couldn't figure out where to post this, so I'll just post it here... It's an excerpt from Guitar World, where Zep talks about the show. Also you should spend some time digging through the GW archives - there's a lot of good stuff in there :)

http://www.guitarwor...07-reunion-show

hey thanks for this. Watching the O2 with a pal of mine the other night we were commenting how close they played together during the show and noticed the abundance of communication and body language going on. Loved it. I think they always played that way on stage stage but these latest camera angles really picked up on it.....cheers Rich

hey thanks for this. Watching the O2 with a pal of mine the other night we were commenting how close they played together during the show and noticed the abundance of communication and body language going on. Loved it. I think they always played that way on stage stage but these latest camera angles really picked up on it.....cheers Rich

You're most welcome :)

Yes. they always did that. You can see it in all the videos of them. I think, I noticed it the first time when I watched TSRTS. If you listen closely, you can also hear Jimmy make a little "tick" on his guitar before he starts after breaks, I guess as a signal to let the others know when to be ready (?) I always thought it was so cool. The filming and editing of the 02 really is good, and done with a lot of respect for the way they play together. It's a pleasure to watch, not to mention the pleasure of listening. Jeff Beck does that stuff too with his band :)

Archived