Chad Smith of RHCP honors Bonham's memory 9.25.12

I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers here in Phoenix two weeks ago. It was on the anniversary of John's death. My thoughts were raw regarding that anniversary as I had just finished my Tumblr essay about my life with Led Zeppelin (below) that day, and sent it out to around 100 friends.

In the essay I write about the day I was told by a high school classmate that Bonham had died. September 25, 1980. John Bonham was my first true hero in my life. The news of his death was a crushing blow.

The show was good, as good as it could have been without John Frusciante. During the course of the show I was so focused on the band (and Flea!) that I forgot about the date. At the very end of the show, after all members had left the stage, drummer Chad Smith walked up to the microphone, alone. It was weird, since I have never seen him address the audience in all the times I have seen RHCP. He leaned into the mic.

"BONHAM!!" (then a pause)

"JOHN BONHAM!" (a longer pause)

"JOHN FUCKING BONHAM!!!" (then, as if to explain to all the teens, and they were legion)

"JOHN BONHAM WAS THE DRUMMER IN LED ZEPPELIN. HE WAS THE GREATEST ROCK DRUMMER EVER. JOHN HENRY BONHAM DIED 32 YEARS AGO TODAY. I LOVE THE GUY. HE IS MY HERO."

I didn't see it coming. I was stunned, and instantly remembered the essay I sent out earlier that afternoon. And the horrible news I got 32 years ago that very day. I was frozen still, and overcome with emotion.

As a drummer, I have, over time, become very aware of drummers like Dave Grohl, Chad Smith, and others, who have been very vocal in their love of John.

The drummer who changed their lives, and ours.

Trampled Under Foot. My Zeppelin Tumblr essay.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers here in Phoenix two weeks ago. It was on the anniversary of John's death. My thoughts were raw regarding that anniversary as I had just finished my Tumblr essay about my life with Led Zeppelin (below) that day, and sent it out to around 100 friends.

In the essay I write about the day I was told by a high school classmate that Bonham had died. September 25, 1980. John Bonham was my first true hero in my life. The news of his death was a crushing blow.

The show was good, as good as it could have been without John Frusciante. During the course of the show I was so focused on the band (and Flea!) that I forgot about the date. At the very end of the show, after all members had left the stage, drummer Chad Smith walked up to the microphone, alone. It was weird, since I have never seen him address the audience in all the times I have seen RHCP. He leaned into the mic.

"BONHAM!!" (then a pause)

"JOHN BONHAM!" (a longer pause)

"JOHN FUCKING BONHAM!!!" (then, as if to explain to all the teens, and they were legion)

"JOHN BONHAM WAS THE DRUMMER IN LED ZEPPELIN. HE WAS THE GREATEST ROCK DRUMMER EVER. JOHN HENRY BONHAM DIED 32 YEARS AGO TODAY. I LOVE THE GUY. HE IS MY HERO."

I didn't see it coming. I was stunned, and instantly remembered the essay I sent out earlier that afternoon. And the horrible news I got 32 years ago that very day. I was frozen still, and overcome with emotion.

As a drummer, I have, over time, become very aware of drummers like Dave Grohl, Chad Smith, and others, who have been very vocal in their love of John.

The drummer who changed their lives, and ours.

in case you have not seen this.....very cool

Trampled Under Foot. My Zeppelin Tumblr essay.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Whenever I see Chad Smith, I momentarily think "look it's Will Ferrell"...whenever I see Will Ferrell, I think "look it's Chad Smith". I know Chad hates it; don't know how Will feels about it.

I've lost interest in RHCP since Frusciante left for the 100th time...but I'm glad you had a good time Pete, and relayed the bit about Chad's tribute to Bonzo to us. Hopefully a clip will surface on YouTube.

Archived