"Game of Thrones"

kingzoso

Because of my time difference, the first screening of each episode is on Monday, mid afternoon here and then repeated another 3 times later throughout the evening. Unfortunately, tomorrow when ep2 first screens here (Monday), I won't be able to watch it until much later in the night.

It's driving me insane .............. of all the episodes for this to happen .............. :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: ................ aarrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Since you have already read the books (and the "spoiler" I mentioned a few posts back), you already know what is going to happen in this second episode. However, reading the books and watching the episodes, there is a big difference. I hope you have a good time watching this episode. In My opinion, it is one of those that I am happy it happened but also sad to see (His reign end).

It was strange. I almost felt sad at seeing it played out in front of my eyes. A kind of loss at another major character leaving 'my show'.

As much as we all hated and despised the little shit ..... his presence will still be missed.

I'll get over my brief feeling of loss and emptiness though :lol:

Well done Jack Gleeson! Brilliant actor who absolutely made the character! :bravo:

Since you have already read the books (and the "spoiler" I mentioned a few posts back), you already know what is going to happen in this second episode. However, reading the books and watching the episodes, there is a big difference. I hope you have a good time watching this episode. In My opinion, it is one of those that I am happy it happened but also sad to see (His reign end).

You should consider those who haven't seen the show (or read the books for that matter), and keep your spoilers to yourself.

I don't have the luxury of seeing it when it first airs so I would appreciate it if you could at least wait a day or so before discussing it.

Thank you.

Whoopie,

You are correct, the TV show does you give you a pretty clear hint. I've read the books so I know the answer. But the way the TV show was written, it looked like they might be fingering Cersei. In the first episode of Season 4, she thanked the Grand Maester for "his help". We know in the past that poison is "a woman's weapon" as stated by Ned Stark, and Cersei no doubt killed Robert's previous Hand when he found out who the REAL father of her children was. Also, Cersei hates Margery as Cersei will lose her position as Queen Regent and had ample reason to murder her. The way the TV show was playing out, it looked like Cersei may have gotten the poison from the Grand Maester in order to kill Margery, but it accidently got swallowed by someone else at the wedding reception (so as not to give the spoiler).

It's not so much a hint, it's there right in front of our eyes to see .... albiet very subtly done. Whether Olenna, or someone else actually put the poison in Joffrey's goblet and when, is unknown though.

Thats an interesting theory Stryder1978. Cersei definitely hates Margery enough to want her gone, by any means. I was about to discredit your idea (because Cercei hates and doesn't trust Grand Maester Pycelle), when I realised you didn't mean to say Grand Maester, but instead meant Qyburn (who was a maester, but was stripped of his title because of human experimentation).

hhmmmmmm I see what you mean now though. The show does kind of hint at that idea, although there is no visible evidence for her planting the poison in the wine goblet.

Most people seem to think Prince Oberyn Martell is the culpret. Oberyn is the obvious suspect to me, because of his hatred for the Lannisters, his spoken vengence and his knowledge of poison, but he was nowhere near the wedding table. Sansa and Tyrion both touched the goblet and hated Joffrey too. Just about everyone hated Joffrey, but it's about who had access to his wine goblet to drop poison into it.

Hey Whoopie Cat,

You are right, they leave some prettty obvious clues. The only reason I brought up Cersei as a possible suspect was a thought that they might deviate from " who done it" in the books. The only BIG deviation I've seen so far was in the books, Rob's wife DOES NOT attend the Red Wedding as Caitlyn thought that would piss Walder Frey off. Of course, on the TV show, she does attend and she is brutally murdered.

When I read the books and saw she didn't attend, I thought it was a major deal - if she was pregnant and carrying Rob's child, that child would be heir apparent for Winterfell and possibly even the new "King of the North". It really could have opened up a LOT of possibilities, but she has not been mentioned any further in the books and with her demise in the TV show, I guess that story line wasn't important after all.

Hopefully, they stick with the story line in the books....I don't mind the minor stuff - like not shaving Jamies head during the journey back to King's Landing or switching Sansa from wearing the hair net with jewels for the necklace during the Purple Wedding - but there is a possible big deviation from the books involving Danny and her two advisors, and I'm not sure how they will fix it for the future TV episodes.

Here's looking forward to Sunday's e[isode.....

Not too derail the aforementioned posts concerning the past episodes (and the future ones), but to the people that watch "Game of Thrones" and post comments on this topic, who are your 5 favorite characters in this Great and Classic HBO program?

Mine:

1. Tyrion Lannister - smart, cunning and very good at diplomacy...

2. Ser Bronn (the Sellsword) - funny, vicious and fierce...

3. Daenerys Stormborn Targaryen - the Mother of Dragons, from innocent to determined and very Hot

4. Ser Jorah Mormont - wise, loyal and protective...

5. Arya Stark - smart, brave and unafraid...

I guess if I really had to choose that that would be my Top 5. I realize that it is very hard to choose just 5 from a show that has dozens and dozens of great and interesting characters, both Good and Evil and in between. If you choose to list more than 5, that is cool too (because I think that I would have to add Ser Davos Seaworth if I had to go past 5).

Yours?

1. Arya: fearless and badass; great leadership potential

2. Tyrion: very complex and I think underestimated

3. Jon Snow: the good guy

4. Catelyn: although gone; she was fiercely loyal and incredibly brave

5. Daenerys: great leader

I am not a big fan of Sansa; she seems to be the least developed main character. Characters really have to swim with the sharks on this show to survive, and she isn't. I'm also not seeing the complexity the others have shown (i.e. Jaime's soft spot for Brienne; Cersei becoming who she is at least partly out of necessity/survival).

(Disclaimer: I haven't <yet> read the books)

Despite the fact that every one of the characters has good and bad qualities (one of the author's trademarks), my Top 5 among the living:

1. Arya Stark - Strong and determined despite all the odds against her, chose to be who she wants rather than who she was "supposed to be"- unlike her wimpy sister Sansa.

2. Tyrion Lannister - The Imp was challenged from birth despite being bron in high class.He is smart and has a good heart despite being surrounded by Lannister monsters throughout his life.

3. Davos Seaworth - The Onion Knight who went from low born in Flea Bottom to being a knight. And is also one of the few people in Westros who has charactor and the courage to do what is right - and still keep his head!

4. Danerys Targaryen - Lost her entire family at a very youmg age (except her incestuous evil brother who sold her). The Queen of Dragons went from went from child to warrior queen on her own. Her faith in herself is her most redeeming quality.

5. SIr Bron of the Blackwater - Another low born who rose to status of knight. One could argue that it was his greed and selfishness that got him where he is, but the man has more courage than anyone in the West and is honest about his motives and intentions - a rare trait in Westros.

Since I live where GOT is filmed, thought folks here might like to see these:

Me today taken in Inch Abbey, Downpatrick Co. Down where in the 1st season, Catelyn Stark finds out that Ned Stark has been executed.

post-19782-0-63155200-1398113073_thumb.j

post-19782-0-60573700-1398113095_thumb.j

Wow, love those pics SozoZoso! What a great experience!

I was disappointed in Ep3. I know there was some important revelations and set ups for the future, but there were many things I didn't like, or found irritating, mainly ......

WTF are the tv show writers doing to Jamie's character, he is now a rapist?! :mad: Why has Littlefinger suddenly developed an Irish accent :wacko: and is even more of a creep and sleezy? Could they have dragged Sam and Gilly's boring scene out any longer?

That's George Martin's trademark - just when you think someone is becoming a good character, he either offs them or shows their "other side". He's shown it with every character - including sweet little Arya and "good" Caitlyn Stark (who wished Jon Snow to die). The episode followed the book pretty closely on Jamie and Cersei's characters with that disturbing scene. With Jamie bopping his sister all his life and pushing a little boy out a window, it shouldn't come as a hock that he would include rape along with his incest (despite being nice to Brienne).

I noticed Littlefinger's accent as well - that's hilarious!

Wow, love those pics SozoZoso! What a great experience!

I was disappointed in Ep3. I know there was some important revelations and set ups for the future, but there were many things I didn't like, or found irritating, mainly ......

WTF are the tv show writers doing to Jamie's character, he is now a rapist?! :mad: Why has Littlefinger suddenly developed an Irish accent :wacko: and is even more of a creep and sleezy? Could they have dragged Sam and Gilly's boring scene out any longer?

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Lot of good points Whoopie Cat.

Yes, great photos SozoZoso, must have been a great time.

I wasn't thrilled with Episode 3, it didn't hold my attention as much as the first two, but that happens with many series. Hated the scene with Jamie too.

Maybe the Irish actor Aiden Gillan was tired and spoke in his normal tongue ;-) I saw him in a movie preview this weekend - the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Too many favorite characters to choose a top five. I do wish some of the Starks had lasted longer, especially Ned.

That's George Martin's trademark - just when you think someone is becoming a good character, he either offs them or shows their "other side". He's shown it with every character - including sweet little Arya and "good" Caitlyn Stark (who wished Jon Snow to die). The episode followed the book pretty closely on Jamie and Cersei's characters with that disturbing scene. With Jamie bopping his sister all his life and pushing a little boy out a window, it shouldn't come as a hock that he would include rape along with his incest (despite being nice to Brienne).

I noticed Littlefinger's accent as well - that's hilarious!

GRR Martin definitely has a love of killing off big name characters, but it's not what he wrote in the book about this scene.

It was consensual sex in the book. I can quote an excerpt paragraph if you want.

I realize this is a tv show and changes are obviously necessary from the book. I have no problems with deviations, or even character changes, if they are of value to the story.

But why have Jamie’s storyline turning him into a kind of nice guy and so against rape in other episodes and then suddenly have him go against his character by raping Cersei, the woman he loves.

How are they going to continue on with Jamie’s good guy storyline now?

The problem with a small deviation from the book, is it has a follow on effect. One small seemingly innocent change from the book, creates a big pothole later on.

Tv show Jamie was brought back to Kingslanding more than 2 weeks earlier than in the book, so he had those weeks interacting with Cersei and getting past their initial reunion.

Book Jamie returned on the day he found Cersei in the crypt with Joffrey’s dead body. Their longing, desire and passion at being apart for 18 months or so, not knowing if he was alive, plus all that had happened overtook them.

At no point in the tv show scene did I see, nor feel anything consensual, or loving.

In hindsight, it could be more the fault of editing, or the producers who created the atmosphere of that scene. Or maybe they did intend it to appear as rape .... as it certainly came across to the viewing audience as.

Whoopie Cat,

You are spot on with your analysis - kudos to you!

I just read a George Martin interview and he states EXACTLY what you just did. The difference in time when Jamie was there makes a huge difference in how Cersei would react. Martin said he was not consulted on the change by the show's producers and is not sure why they handled it the way they did.

Personally, I think the producers thought that over the past few episodes that they were making Jamie look a little too much of a "good guy' and Cersei was appearing to be too much of a witch. So they decided to mix things up a bit - both of them are evil, incestuous monsters in my opinion.

As for the rape itself, yes it was disturbing...but certainly not the first time viewers have been exposed to it in this series. Danny and Gilly to name too were the subject of it....although not graphically shown as it was for last week's scene.

Archived