Robert Plant in The Big Apple

SteveAJones

"Physical Graffiti"

Eplain1 relates the details of his surprise encounter with Robert Plant on Sunday, October 8th 2012:

...I always wanted to take a picture of the Building they used for the Led Zeppelin album "Physical Graffiti"...

So there it is....and I get a shot of it. St. Marks has a history, so i fire off a few more of the street. As I'm taking a picture of Yaffa Café, I look to my right...and I'll be a monkey's ass...that is Robert Plant walking toward me...about 30 yards away... his face is unmistakable (especially these days! HAHA)

I am fumbling with my camera, I get it out and boom, I get a shot of him coming toward me. I step in front of him and say- "Sir?... you are a God Sir!, and I can not believe I am standing before you right now". He said- "I can't believe it either" with a huge smile. "Where are you from?"..."Connecticut, I blew off work today for some reason and... I think I just found the reason!".

I have walked past famous people in my days, and just gave a quick wink and a hello, maybe a quick hand shake if I like them, but this Guy...wow! I was blown away by his Presence (No pun Intended). I felt like a child, as I told him how absolutely in awe I was. I think I may have made a fool out of myself, and it was all caught....by the the documentary cameras.

No one was around really, just a few passersby. But as I was damn near tripping over my words... i looked to my right side and there was a huge video camera recording the whole thing. Then I looked left... another!... this is being recorded.

Eventually a hand full of walkers saw what was going on, and Robert went toward the base of the "Physical" building to do a little interview. Apparently, they were walking around NY, going to places of interest to him or from his past, and recording him talking and meeting fans like me as they passed by.

I said to one of the camera people... you're....not....USING me are you? I mean... im not really happy with my physical (no pun intended) appearance these days....I'm...TOO FAT FOR TV!....He said, well your interaction with Robert is what we are looking for! HAHA...sorry!. I said, "Its been quite a day, I think I'll just run home now". Robert said, smiling, "No need to Run!...Goodbye".

In case you were wondering...he was incredibly nice & friendly. And to think....for this to happen, everything had to work out exactly this way, for me to be there, at that moment.... amazing.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

002_zps2704d927.jpg

003_zpsb3aa274b.jpg

005_zps163e6971.jpg

ok, I need to leave work NOW and walk around town randomly, just in case i might bump in to one of them. I'd turn into a mumbling fumbling fool for sure. Does anyone know what time the press conference starts at MOMA?

"Physical Graffiti"

Eplain1 relates the details of his surprise encounter with Robert Plant on Sunday, October 8th 2012:

...I always wanted to take a picture of the Building they used for the Led Zeppelin album "Physical Graffiti"...

So there it is....and I get a shot of it. St. Marks has a history, so i fire off a few more of the street. As I'm taking a picture of Yaffa Café, I look to my right...and I'll be a monkey's ass...that is Robert Plant walking toward me...about 30 yards away... his face is unmistakable (especially these days! HAHA)

I am fumbling with my camera, I get it out and boom, I get a shot of him coming toward me. I step in front of him and say- "Sir?... you are a God Sir!, and I can not believe I am standing before you right now". He said- "I can't believe it either" with a huge smile. "Where are you from?"..."Connecticut, I blew off work today for some reason and... I think I just found the reason!".

I have walked past famous people in my days, and just gave a quick wink and a hello, maybe a quick hand shake if I like them, but this Guy...wow! I was blown away by his Presence (No pun Intended). I felt like a child, as I told him how absolutely in awe I was. I think I may have made a fool out of myself, and it was all caught....by the the documentary cameras.

No one was around really, just a few passersby. But as I was damn near tripping over my words... i looked to my right side and there was a huge video camera recording the whole thing. Then I looked left... another!... this is being recorded.

Eventually a hand full of walkers saw what was going on, and Robert went toward the base of the "Physical" building to do a little interview. Apparently, they were walking around NY, going to places of interest to him or from his past, and recording him talking and meeting fans like me as they passed by.

I said to one of the camera people... you're....not....USING me are you? I mean... im not really happy with my physical (no pun intended) appearance these days....I'm...TOO FAT FOR TV!....He said, well your interaction with Robert is what we are looking for! HAHA...sorry!. I said, "Its been quite a day, I think I'll just run home now". Robert said, smiling, "No need to Run!...Goodbye".

In case you were wondering...he was incredibly nice & friendly. And to think....for this to happen, everything had to work out exactly this way, for me to be there, at that moment.... amazing.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

002_zps2704d927.jpg

003_zpsb3aa274b.jpg

005_zps163e6971.jpg

FANtastic!! love that!

Great story, but get the beard off Robert, the goatee was bad enough lol

The beard/goatee thing of Robert’s is related to some fascination of a British political historical figure that he loves, he has given money to statues on the guy and everything and I think he has mentioned him at press conferences and at gigs and stuff.

Sigh I went out at lunch to MOMA but I had just missed the press conference. No sign of any of our heroes. I was so excited to think they were in the same city. I did talk to a young man from a cable access channel who went to the conference - and he wasn't a Zep fan. Had no idea. He was nice though. Maybe I'll get lucky later.

Sigh I went out at lunch to MOMA but I had just missed the press conference. No sign of any of our heroes. I was so excited to think they were in the same city. I did talk to a young man from a cable access channel who went to the conference - and he wasn't a Zep fan. Had no idea. He was nice though. Maybe I'll get lucky later.

With the cable guy? ;)

great pics.i think he is handsome and the facial hair looks good to me now. to me this would be the perfect type meeting. where you just happen to see him somewhere rather than some event with others around . anyone know if Robert would give a hug if asked ?

i have noticed the man bag or whatever you call that in a lot of these recent pics fans get of him just walking along or doing some other everyday thing.

What a great story! The photos are great. It really has to be one of the best fan stories I have heard, maybe because it was so random. Thanks for sharing that Steve.

If they are walking around filming and interviewing Robert I hope that surfaces!! :yesnod:

great pics.i think he is handsome and the facial hair looks good to me now. to me this would be the perfect type meeting. where you just happen to see him somewhere rather than some event with others around . anyone know if Robert would give a hug if asked ?

i have noticed the man bag or whatever you call that in a lot of these recent pics fans get of him just walking along or doing some other everyday thing.

Well the bag is the perfect size for records. There used to be a record store near the St. Mark's PG building...maybe he was going record shopping?

I don't know about everyone else, but with his beard and everything, lately Robert's reminding me of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

What a great guy, that Robert!

I love that he is so gracious with his fans!

Those pictures were great! I think that he looks really good. I like his current looks more now than when he was younger back in the day! I like the beard!

I can't believe what great luck it was for the fan to be at St. Mark's Place and to see Robert walking toward him! I would have thought that I was having a really good dream if that would have been me!

He was looking for the Physical Graffiti building and found Robert Plant instead -that's like drilling for water and finding oil!

^^^^ Love that analogy ^^^^

But he found oil and water and they mixed!!!!!!!!

And . . . What a great story and pics. It put such a smile on my face. I love hearing when people randomly run into any of the guys . . . . so cool! For a moment we can live vicariously through them and dream . . . . . what if?

Archived