Led Zeppelin NYC Press Conference / Premiere (10-09-12)

sam_webmaster

Full press conference. Still waiting for a better version from the official Led Zeppelin YouTube page.

wah, wonderful!! Will check the whole thing out when i've got the time..I hope a slightly better version will come up though..And that pic of Robert and Jimmy above..OMG!!! :veryhot: Is it hot in here or what?

Worked for me in London and I loved it.

I found the atmosphere much more comfortable than the London press conference : they're still relatively brittle and defensive in that kind of environment, but it felt more relaxed.

I also think American journalists are much more upfront than British/European ones, and they put the Forbidden Question very directly and with less concern for the tension it would provoke. Again there were signs that the band didn't want to tolerate it, but alongside that, they did manage to address the point.

Since the London presser there have been people here who've challenged the legitimacy of that question and have called out the journalists who've asked it : it's their job to ask it. If anyone doesn't think it's relevant they should only look at the many threads on this site which pose it again and again: could they, might they, should/shouldn't they ? The evidence that film, and the concert, provides of their capacity as musicians can't but provoke the question : can't we have more ?

Because they were ( a little) freer with their answers, it feels that they've put it to rest ( or into a long sleep) more effectively than the initial stonewalling did.

No question that the relative ease on that topic was part of a greater ease about the whole thing: some wonderful asides, fantastic interreaction between Robert and Jason, Robert and Jimmy in particular.

Quite a different climate, I think. Robert particularly strong.

Not to sound stupid, (perhaps a bit naive) but why is the band doing so many press conferences for the concert? Everyone knows about the demand for tickets it drew and everyone knows how popular they are. I just find it a bit odd that they would do 4 press conferences around the planet, have it play on the big screen and then release it to the public. I have tickets to the show and am not complaining. I'm just trying to figure out why they feel that the 3 of them, with Jason at the NYC conference feel the need to do press for it. Don't you think if they just released it to theatres and then to DVD that they would have the same amount of sales?

Not to sound stupid, (perhaps a bit naive) but why is the band doing so many press conferences for the concert? Everyone knows about the demand for tickets it drew and everyone knows how popular they are. I just find it a bit odd that they would do 4 press conferences around the planet, have it play on the big screen and then release it to the public. I have tickets to the show and am not complaining. I'm just trying to figure out why they feel that the 3 of them, with Jason at the NYC conference feel the need to do press for it. Don't you think if they just released it to theatres and then to DVD that they would have the same amount of sales?

NO - I really don't. Everyone who's a fan will have an interest, of course. But looking at the huge sales of the original DVD, here is an opportunity to equal that and to have some packed cinemas too: and the material deserves that attention. DVD sales need to be sold and all this publicity is part of that mechanism.

What is debatable though is whether these edgy press conferences are the best kind of publicity. They only take 30-40 minutes of the band's time, but perhaps are less efficient than a well-placed newspaper, magazine or broadcast interview. Undoubtedly, less engaging than those. I'm looking forward to Friday's Guardian interview which is one of very few individual things they've done : there's bound to be less defensiveness and more depth.

I think they just want to do what they can to get people out to the theaters to see it. They seem really proud of how it turned out, and didn't just put out another home video concert. And you know Robert gets "forgetful" when they start getting into questions he doesn't feel like answering.

I kind of wish Carmine Appice and Led Zep played a gag on the press, announcing the found 8mm footage of the shark incident they were going to show at the end of "Celebration Day".

Man, why do they all make it seem like Robert was this asshole with the 'schmuck' comment? Why must all the headlines read about him being 'cranky' or 'cursing' out the media?

Good grief.

Hi Percys_Plant!

It's not just the media. Look at how many people who are supposed to be fans have bashed and blamed Robert for them not getting back together. I thought it was great when he called the guy a schmuck:-) I can't wait to see the complete interview/press conference. ;)

Hi Percys_Plant!

It's not just the media. Look at how many people who are supposed to be fans have bashed and blamed Robert for them not getting back together. I thought it was great when he called the guy a schmuck:-) I can't wait to see the complete interview/press conference. ;)

I thought it was as fun as when Jimmy said not to listen to Led Zeppelin on mp3s.

Attached some of my pics from last night's premiere. I just showed up, not sure what to expect. I did not have a press pass but was able to stand pretty close. Didn't have a ticket but someone had an extra (thanks Miles) so I got to see the show - enjoyed every second of it! I heard they were giving tickets away anyway. Robert, Jason and Jimmy entered from the street (in that order, different cars, but Jason came in early then went back to enter after Robert) - everyone cheered and flashbulbs flashing. JPJones must have snuck in from the back, we didn't see him! Paul Stanley and Kirk H. came in through the front too (maybe some others I missed.) After the red carpet Robert came into the theater lobby so I was able to snap a couple more pics. Then security pushed us all along out of the lobby and into the theater so I guess JP didn't feel like mingling! But he and the others came into the theater and sat with us for the screening so we got to give them all a big round of applause (and all through the show). People kept getting up and I had a feeling they were going over to say "hi". They left early. After the show I was talking with the guys from That Metal Show and now I kind of wish I had hung around to find out about the after party - now seeing some of those photos posted online and Eddie among them. At that point I was just thinking I was lucky to see the movie at all though! Nice nite overall. Now I'll write up my movie review. Many thanks to Crash!

post-13837-0-60193500-1349913716_thumb.j

post-13837-0-79492000-1349913739_thumb.j

post-13837-0-47984200-1349913789_thumb.j

post-13837-0-81659300-1349913799_thumb.j

post-13837-0-32385300-1349913820_thumb.j

post-13837-0-56722500-1349913835_thumb.j

post-13837-0-10731500-1349913846.jpg

Hallo to you too, Deborah J,

I've noticed the Plant bashing as well...and don't get it either. *shrug* The man no longer owes anyone anything in my humble opinion.

Also like you, I can't wait to see the full video of the conference as well. I keep refreshing this page like a mad person. Hah.

Thanks for the pictures, VirtualPam. Sounds like a fun night all around.

I'm just trying to figure out why they feel that the 3 of them, with Jason at the NYC conference feel the need to do press for it. Don't you think if they just released it to theatres and then to DVD that they would have the same amount of sales?

They get to travel and have tons of fun knowing Warner Brothers is picking up the tab.

Archived