Led Zeppelin NYC Press Conference / Premiere (10-09-12)

sam_webmaster

THanks for the photos and video link of the NY Press Conference. It's good to see that Jason joined them in NY, too, to be there to celebrate the release.

I wear perscription sunglasses. too

R :bubble:

I wear perscription sunglasses. too

When Robert commented that he'd known the Bonham's for 50 years and it (the need for glasses) didn't run in their family I immediately thought of outtakes from a photo session circa '71...Bonzo wearing rectangular eyeglasses and a heavy brown leather jacket. Jimmy in his Zoso sweater clutching a bottle of alcohol. I'll post it here once I find it.

Hi Percys_Plant!

It's not just the media. Look at how many people who are supposed to be fans have bashed and blamed Robert for them not getting back together. I thought it was great when he called the guy a schmuck:-) I can't wait to see the complete interview/press conference. ;)

When Robert wrote and first performed those songs live, he was in the moment, and wasn't thinking about singing them 40 years later. For people to make him out to be the bad guy when he's the one who has to do the songs justice and not wear egg on his face, that's his call and people should respect it. He's still out there working and challenging himself.

When Robert wrote and first performed those songs live, he was in the moment, and wasn't thinking about singing them 40 years later. For people to make him out to be the bad guy when he's the one who has to do the songs justice and not wear egg on his face, that's his call and people should respect it. He's still out there working and challenging himself.

:goodpost:

The full conference worked for me! I really enjoyed it and thoght Robert was hilarious. It really ticks me off that the press come up with the same questions over and over again, can't they for once ask something interesting, new and different. But all four of the band were great, I was very impressed with Jason.

My name is Bucks Burnett. I attended the Oct. 9 press conference in New York, and strongly feel the bad press now generating from this event, is grossly exaggerated by the press itself, as portraying the band as combative, uncooperative. They were the opposite - witty and funny but sometimes in shock that yet ANOTHER lame reunion question had been offered. I actually can be heard in the unedited clip heckling some of the other journalists. I'm glad I heckled them - they deserved it. I wouldn't blame them if they never gave interviews again! Saw the MOMA screening and the Zeigfeld screening, as well as the original O2 gig. The movie is beyond perfect. The band deserved better than they got from the press at this conference. Just like old times, right?

My name is Bucks Burnett. I attended the Oct. 9 press conference in New York, and strongly feel the bad press now generating from this event, is grossly exaggerated by the press itself, as portraying the band as combative, uncooperative. They were the opposite - witty and funny but sometimes in shock that yet ANOTHER lame reunion question had been offered. I actually can be heard in the unedited clip heckling some of the other journalists. I'm glad I heckled them - they deserved it. I wouldn't blame them if they never gave interviews again! Saw the MOMA screening and the Zeigfeld screening, as well as the original O2 gig. The movie is beyond perfect. The band deserved better than they got from the press at this conference. Just like old times, right?

I'd like to be the first to welcome you to this forum. I'm very familiar with the great things you've done for so many years with recorded music in Texas, and more recently New York. Bucks Burnett says this film is beyond perfect that's all I really need to know and need not concern myself with what the critics report.

Here's how the press conference played out in the film of Robert Plant's life after Zeppelin... in an alternative universe.

Warner Bros. Pictures presents “Tall Cool One” (2019), a major motion picture about Robert Plant's triumphs as a solo artist and his redemptive, long delayed return to Led Zeppelin 32 years after dissolving the band.

Final scene - The Led Zeppelin Press Conference for “Celebration Day”

Setting: Press hall, Manhattan. The room is filled with reporters, cameras, microphones. The band sits behind a table on a raised stage. JIMMY PAGE and JASON BONHAM wear sunglasses. JOHN PAUL JONES is accoutred in a devastating black suit and tie. Our hero, ROBERT PLANT, sports a striped blue and black sweater and his trademark Colonel Sanders goatee.

CLOSE UP - REPORTER

Reporter: “Do you see this film and your promoting it as a sign that the band will get together and do a tour?

CLOSE UP - THE BAND. Robert rolls his eyes heavenward. Jimmy grimaces as if to say, “Jesus, don't they get it? We're just trying to promote the movie”. But part of the grimace is his knowledge of how pissed off Robert is having to deal with these questions. Jason and John Paul Jones both look down at the table. A beat of several seconds....Robert moves his head to the mike to speak, no doubt intending to give his standard answer of how you can't recapture your youth, how people have to move on, how singing songs that no one outside of Missouri or Mississippi has ever heard is more important to him than “Kashmir”, or, God forbid, “Stairway to Heaven”, when suddenly John Paul Jones looks up at the audience, smiles, and leans towards the microphone in front of him:

CLOSE UP - JOHN PAUL JONES

John Paul Jones: “You know, I'd have to say that doing a tour would be a bit much at our age...but I'd really enjoy getting up on stage and playing a few shows with Robert, Jimmy, and Jason. That would be great!'

CLOSE UP - THE BAND. Robert and Jimmy stare at John Paul Jones in shock. There is an uproar in the press hall, and hundreds of cameras flash on the band. John Paul Jones smiles like a Cheshire Cat, and you can't help but think he's been waiting for this moment for 18 years...ever since his band mates Jimmy and Robert went off on their own to play and tour, using the title of his own song - “No Quarter” - his own song! to market the event! And they didn't even have the decency to call him to see if he wanted to be a part of it! Or at least let him know what they were up to. And for Robert to have the gall at their first press conference, when asked where he, John Paul Jones, was, to say he was out parking the limo! Hey...revenge IS a dish best served cold. Meanwhile, Jason Bonham, who has been holding his breath for several seconds, slowly moves to the mike in front of him and says:

Jason Bonham (echoing John Paul Jones so many years before): “Hey...the band knows my phone number...I'm ready to go and play whenever they want to”.

CLOSE UP - Jimmy and Robert. Jimmy is aghast. All his talks with John Paul Jones and (sometimes) Jason have emphasized how Robert has to be coddled, so that maybe someday he'll grace them with his presence and (possibly) play a gig with them. But this! This is outright mutiny! To cross him in public like this! Robert will be so pissed off by this, you'll never even get him in the same room with any of them for the rest of their lives! He can sense the rage in Robert next to him at this breach of protocol and decides he needs to speak now before Robert says something unfortunate. He is about to say something to the effect that “We're all engaged in our own projects now” or “We all have to follow our own paths” or some other such nonsense, when suddenly Jimmy Page has an epiphany. He thinks, “What the hell, what projects? I'm 68...how much time have I got left? And how much longer will I actually be able to stand up on a stage and play the guitar?” Jimmy Page slowly takes off his sunglasses. His eyes are clear. There is peace on his face. He leans towards the microphone and says:

CLOSE UP - JIMMY PAGE

Jimmy Page: “It would be a great honor to play with John and Jason”. (He turns to Robert). “And with you, Robert”.

CLOSE UP - ROBERT PLANT

The press hall is absolutely silent. Robert is utterly flummoxed. He has explained carefully to his band mates and less explicitly to the public that he just doesn't want to do what he was doing when he was 20 years old. It was fun to do the O2 gig five years previous, but that's it, time to move on. Caught between rage and complete embarrassment, he struggles to find words.

WIDE SHOT - THE PRESS HALL. Silence reigns.

CLOSE UPS- VARIOUS MEMBERS OF THE PRESS, WAITING TO SEE HOW ROBERT WILL RESPOND. EVERYONE HOLDS THEIR BREATH.

CLOSE UP - ROBERT PLANT. Robert shifts his eyes from left to right.

MEDIUM SHOT: THE BAND. His band mates sit back with smiles on their faces, as if to say “Finally, we're not going to beat around the bush anymore. Let's see you get out of this one”.

CLOSE UP: ROBERT PLANT. Robert moves slowly towards the mike to speak, when suddenly he freezes. Looking out at the audience he espies...no, it can't be...but it is! It's...THE GIRL! It's the Girl with tears in her eyes from the Celebration Day film during the “Stairway” segment. Robert can't believe his eyes. When Carruthers had showed him the shot of THE GIRL, saying her tears were beautiful and transcendent, Robert had wanted to vomit. How could anyone cry over “Stairway to Heaven”? Jesus, get a life already. And yet now here she was, in the flesh.

CLOSE UP: THE GIRL. Standing at a microphone, waiting to ask a question, five years after the O2 show she is now the entertainment correspondent for CNN. She has tears running down her face.

CLOSE UP: ROBERT PLANT. Robert is agape. His mouth hangs open. And just like Jimmy Page, Robert Plant suddenly has an epiphany. Sure, he can go out and do shows with Alison and Patty and the Strange Sensation and maybe even Phil Collins (well maybe not, he doesn't play anymore). But you know what? None of this will compare to doing it with his old mates...Jimmy...and John...and God bless Jason, he's so much like his dad, and it feels so good with him back there on the drums. Robert feels his throat tighten, and a lone tear runs down his face, and he says:

Robert Plant: “I know it would bring a lot of joy to millions of people if we were to play again”.

CLOSE UP: THE GIRL. She holds her breath, hanging on every word.

CLOSE UP: ROBERT PLANT

Robert Plant: “But what would be more important to me is the joy that playing together again would bring to these three gentlemen. Jason - “

CLOSE UP: JASON BONHAM

Robert Plant: “You make the three of us so proud. Jimmy - “

CLOSE UP: JIMMY PAGE

Robert Plant: “You've been my mentor, my muse and musical partner, and my friend. And finally...John - “

CLOSE UP: JOHN PAUL JONES

Robert Plant: “I want to apologize in front of the world for any wrongs you feel I may have inflicted on you. You are, and always have been, my friend”

CLOSE UPS: Various members of the press. They can't believe what they're hearing and seeing. Final close up on THE GIRL, who is now smiling amidst her tears of joy.

CLOSE UP: ROBERT PLANT

Robert Plant: “Guys...let's do it!”

WIDE SHOT: THE PRESS HALL. Pandemonium erupts as everyone stands and cheers. People hug and kiss, cameras explode. It's like Rocky Balboa knocking that Apollo guy out, or England winning the World Cup.

CLOSE UP: THE BAND. They are all laughing and hugging (even John Paul Jones) as they slowly make their way off stage.

END CREDITS: Over the end credits, we hear the band's terrific live version of “Fool in the Rain” from their 2013 Madison Square Garden Show. We see clips from this show, as well as from shows in the Coliseum in L. A.; Red Square, Moscow; Sydney Opera House; and their legendary charity show for global peace in Baghdad, Iraq.

When Robert commented that he'd known the Bonham's for 50 years and it (the need for glasses) didn't run in their family I immediately thought of outtakes from a photo session circa '71...Bonzo wearing rectangular eyeglasses and a heavy brown leather jacket. Jimmy in his Zoso sweater clutching a bottle of alcohol. I'll post it here once I find it.

There's a colour version of that on the cardboard sleeve of a Classic Rock Magazine issue, I'll get a pic for you when I can.

Worked for me in London and I loved it.

I found the atmosphere much more comfortable than the London press conference : they're still relatively brittle and defensive in that kind of environment, but it felt more relaxed.

I also think American journalists are much more upfront than British/European ones, and they put the Forbidden Question very directly and with less concern for the tension it would provoke. Again there were signs that the band didn't want to tolerate it, but alongside that, they did manage to address the point.

Since the London presser there have been people here who've challenged the legitimacy of that question and have called out the journalists who've asked it : it's their job to ask it. If anyone doesn't think it's relevant they should only look at the many threads on this site which pose it again and again: could they, might they, should/shouldn't they ? The evidence that film, and the concert, provides of their capacity as musicians can't but provoke the question : can't we have more ?

If the New York press conference was the only one they were doing, I might be inclined to agree with you. But the London presser was only a couple weeks ago and they made it quite clear how they felt about the questions about another reunion. The questions had already been asked and answered in London.

Did the journalists at the NYC presser really think the answers would be any different two weeks later? That they would all of a sudden change their mind?

I still stand by my position that it was a wasted question and any smart journalist would have realized it and asked something else.

It is also obvious that much of what was said was said in jest and in good humour. As usual the media is tone deaf and overreacting and trying to insinuate an animosity and tension that wasn't there.

This is the photo you're thinking of...

post-1470-0-67271200-1349949197.jpg

This is the photo you're thinking of...

Yes, that's one of several from the photo session I'm thinking of. Clearly Bonzo is wearing eyeglasses, yet Robert quipped at the press conference that it didn't in the family. So anyway Bonzo may have done so in jest. The outtakes from that photo shoot suggest it was a very carefree affair.

Hi Percys_Plant!

It's not just the media. Look at how many people who are supposed to be fans have bashed and blamed Robert for them not getting back together. I thought it was great when he called the guy a schmuck:-) I can't wait to see the complete interview/press conference. ;)

I do so agree!!

I just read that he mentioned picking some music up at Kim's Underground, or Mondo Kim's - they must be used to seeing him going there over the years, esp. when they tally up what he spends in "rekkid stores".

Love that store, glad to hear it's still around.

Archived