Jimmy Page in sixth place in The 100 Greatest Guitarist of All Time.

RTHB

HAHAHHAHAHAH - It is a BULLSHIT survey. Brian May and Alex Lifeson is better than Jimmy Page - please...Brian May and Alex Lifeson on the list but no Jeff Beck - whatever...When Eddy Van Halen comes up with a Kashmir or Stairway to Heaven or In My Time Of Dying, let me know...

1.- Eddie Van Halen

2.- Brian May

3.- Alex Lifeson

4.- Jimi Hendrix

5.- Joe Satriani

6.- Jimmy Page

7.- Tony Iommi

8.- Stevie Ray Vaughan

9.- Dimebag Darrell

10- Steve Vai

No Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore etc, Brian may is good in his field but a long way from Page, Joe Satriani, too clinical, Stevie Ray Vaughan should be higher up the list, If Tony Iommi is that high, where is Richie Blackmoore? As Greenman said, says more about the people asked in the pole. If you look at the construction and content of Jimmy Pages music, it is far above most on that and other lists.

ZISH.

Top Ten Guitarists Of All-Time:

1.Freddie Mercury

2.Brad Whitford

3.Elvis Presley

4.Michael Anthony

5.George Bush

6.Billy Joe Armstrong

7.Lance Armstrong

8.Lady Gaga

9.Don Henley

10.Hank Williams Jr.

The easiest argument to be made here is the fact that Alex Lifeson finished ahead of Jimi Hendrix. No one in their right mind, or wrong mind, believes Lifeson is even in the same universe as Hendrix more or less ahead of him.

anyone else remember the BEST DRUMMER list that placed Karen Carpenter ahead of Bonham, Moon & Buddy Rich? or am I misremembering this...

Page #6 only two slots better than Lady(?) Gaga per the list below is def. ZISH. Beck is #1 since that has been conferred upon him by JPP and EC. Pretty much a triumvirate as I see it.

LOL DAS

Top Ten Guitarists Of All-Time:

1.Freddie Mercury

2.Brad Whitford

3.Elvis Presley

4.Michael Anthony

5.George Bush

6.Billy Joe Armstrong

7.Lance Armstrong

8.Lady Gaga

9.Don Henley

10.Hank Williams Jr.

anyone else remember the BEST DRUMMER list that placed Karen Carpenter ahead of Bonham, Moon & Buddy Rich? or am I misremembering this...

It was the Playboy Music Poll...either 1974 or 1975, I can't remember which.

It was the Playboy Music Poll...either 1974 or 1975, I can't remember which.

I think it was a 1974 Playboy poll, because John Bonham was complaining about it in an early 1975 Creem article about the 1975 US Tour.

Now, Karen Carpenter wasn't John Bonham by any stretch, but she was a pretty damn good Drummer in her own right.

She was MUCH better than I ever realized till fairly recently. Go on Youtube or the youtube drum thread for proof..

Plus, she had the voice of an Angel.

looked at them and mostly saw that she was indeed keeping a beat while:

1. another drummer was playing in the background

2. she was miming to an accompaniment track/pre-recording (many synch issues and non-hits on cymbals that were in the recording)

3. on some there were no mics at all on the platform (?)

Go on Youtube or the youtube drum thread for proof. Plus, she had the voice of an Angel.

The Playboy poll was BEST ROCK drummer. I might suggest they could have revisited the criteria and supporting materials. The Carpenters did not record a ROCK song. Not one quote or quip from any of the other 9 in the list of them saying,"yah- that broad is a crap ton better than me I am afraid for my job."

Peers know who is who and what the pecking order is. Hence, Beck #1 coz those who know- say so. Carpenter did have a fantastic voice, was extraordinarily produced and her brother has banked on pillaging the vaults and patch working them into CDs. Not judging.... no rock song any where so.... she can't be a #1 rock drummer.

2. she was miming to an accompaniment track/pre-recording (many synch issues and non-hits on cymbals that were in the recording)

The Playboy poll was BEST ROCK drummer. I might suggest they could have revisited the criteria and supporting materials. The Carpenters did not record a ROCK song. Not one quote or quip from any of the other 9 in the list of them saying,"yah- that broad is a crap ton better than me I am afraid for my job."

Peers know who is who and what the pecking order is. Hence, Beck #1 coz those who know- say so. Carpenter did have a fantastic voice, was extraordinarily produced and her brother has banked on pillaging the vaults and patch working them into CDs. Not judging.... no rock song any where so.... she can't be a #1 rock drummer.

I didn't say she was... I said she was pretty damn good in her own right...which I stand by.

from Karen's wikipedia article.

1975 – In Playboy magazine's annual opinion poll, its readers voted Karen Carpenter the Best Rock Drummer of the year. Apparently this greatly displeased John Bonham from Led Zeppelin as he came in second. He was quoted as saying: "I'd like to have it publicised that I came in after Karen Carpenter in the Playboy drummer poll! She couldn't last ten minutes with a Zeppelin number."

I'm not sure if this is accurate but if it was a popular poll of Playboy readers ... a bunch of horny guys..the results make more sense..

What great guitarist says beck is the best,I know EC, SRV, Vai and Satch say its hendrix, and thats just a short list, maybe some say Beck is the best living guitarist and thats a srtetch because Vai is.

I do not know what is more of a joke, Van Halen number one or Toni Iommi number 7. Does anyone in their right mind think Iommi is even close to Randy Rhodes? Page is number one. No doubt about it and its not even close. Clapton gets my vote for two, then its a crap shoot and you probably have to give it to Hendrix at number 3.

Archived