Godzilla vs. Ramble On (The Kaiju Thread)

Sue Dounim

Well, today's a big one. That's right, the infamous yet classic King Kong vs. Godzilla! Love it or hate it, this movie is a kitschy '60's monster romp for the ages. I can only imagine what it must've been like to be a kid in 1963, and getting to see this in the theaters. The two biggest monsters ever duking it out on the big screen, and in glorious technicolor too! What a treat for the imagination! Since I was born a few generations too late, I had to settle for seeing the film on VHS. I didn't have the tape for long, but boy did I treasure it. I lost it somehow and for years I never saw this movie again. In a way this kindof built up a larger than life feeling for the movie in me, because it was so elusive, and all I had to go off of were the all-too hazy memories of being a 4 year old in front of the Telly. Then, sometime after the advent of DVDs, I was able to buy a copy from a local video store. You have no idea how excited I was to finally see this movie again. Unfortunately, as with anything you overhype, the experience didn't quite live up to the expectations. The effects were noticeably average, even by early '60's standards, and to make it worse, it was the dreadful US butchering of the film. From then on, I had a new goal in mind: I had to somehow acquire the original 1962 japanese version of the film, without all the stock music and cheesy US scenes with "UN Reporter Eric Carter". For a long time this seemed like an unattainable goal, since I could not find a copy anywhere. Finally, a few years later (last year in fact), I finally found the japanese version available for torrenting on The Pirate Bay. Needless to say I downloaded and watched it not long after that. While the effects weren't any better, I was finally able to view the film the way it is meant to be seen. It's still in my top 5 favourite monster movies ever, and I still watch it happily to this day.

post-21000-0-51832900-1387804568_thumb.ppost-21000-0-55665400-1387804594_thumb.jpost-21000-0-76380700-1387804645_thumb.ppost-21000-0-46105000-1387804737_thumb.jpost-21000-0-48432600-1387804817_thumb.ppost-21000-0-86888700-1387804852_thumb.ppost-21000-0-25529400-1387804876_thumb.j

It's rumored that there was some discussion of such a mashup in either the '90's or later, but nothing really became of it. It's a shame too, because I would kill to see that movie.

Sue, was there ever any plans to make a movie with Gamera fighting Godzilla ?

It's rumored that there was some discussion of such a mashup in either the '90's or later, but nothing really became of it. It's a shame too, because I would kill to see that movie.

thanks...............it would be cool to see, and a huge money maker to this day I think......check out this mag cover I found on google.....

be063012-590x754.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^^^

Nice to see you back, Sue. You've been missed.

SAJ, I have to concur somewhat with KB's sentiments. As much as San Francisco is a photogenic city offering a wealth of iconic targets of destruction...and a sizable Japanese and Asian population...when I think Godzilla, I still think Tokyo.

Oh no! There goes Tokyo! Go Go Godzilla!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In anticipation of the new "Godzilla" opening this week, Rialto Pictures has been rolling out the 1954 original "Godzilla" in all its uncut Japanese glory, with all its subtext intact. Like "Star Wars", "Jaws" and other films of a certain nature, "Godzilla" is best seen on the big screen, towering above you.

Here is a list of all the theatres and the dates that the original "Godzilla" is playing. Hopefully it is playing near you...take the kids. They'll thank you for it later.

http://dailydead.com/theater-list-dates-godzilla-1954-re-release/

If you understand why this is funny, we'll get along just fine c:

roland.jpg

Director of the worst Godzilla ever...and a night I will always look back on in horror. Seldom have I ever wanted to actually strangle the director as I was watching his piece-of-shit movie. The co-screenwriter of that 1998 travesty is now on record as admitting he and Roland screwed up. One of Jimmy Page's worst decisions, too, after years of being careful about letting Led Zeppelin music be used in films. I tend to blame his management at the time.

As for the new "Godzilla", I want to like it...if only to wash the bad taste of 1998 out of my mouth. The initial posters and clips have looked promising. Godzilla at least looks like Godzilla and not some overgrown Iguana.

But then those Taco Bell ads started popping up, with a ridiculous Barney-like cuddly Godzilla, and I cringed.

Well, tonight is the night...they're sneak-peeking the new "Godzilla" at theatres across the country...I'm going with friends to a either a 9pm or midnight show after work tonight. We're deciding on which theatre to see it: the Cinerama Dome or the Grauman's Chinese in 3D IMAX.

Sue, are you going tonight?

Since the new Godzilla is in San Francisco, I wonder if he'll stomp some Haight-Ashbury hippies or take in a Giants game? That would make redrum happy.

edited to add: Midnight it is.

Edited by Strider