John Paul Jones in Berlin for premiere of Celebration Day

Janvier

Here's a transcription of the conversation between John Paul Jones and Helmut Heimann that was aired this afternoon on Radio Eins. (Or, rather, a transcription of JPJ's responses, since I don't understand what's being said in German by the two interlocutors, although the word reunion is mentioned in the second question asked by the journalist.)

First question, John Paul Jones asked about his impressions of Celebration Day.

It was a relief when we saw it (laughs) both looks good and sounds good, it's a very good result, Dick Carruthers did a great job putting it all together and we don't begrudge one of his 14 cameras that he insisted on.

Second question about a reunion of Led Zeppelin.

Very little chance, very little chance. I never say never because I've been wrong before, but it's really unlikely. We're all different people, we're not a band anymore, we want different things, it's as simple as that.

http://download.radioeins.de/mp3/_programm/7/20121016/1640_jones.mp3

hey i was there last night and had a blast of a good time :))

would like to see more of the filmed interview, i remember at least 2 pro cams shooting this from the front row.

meanwhile here's my quick translation attempt of that B.Z. article / interview (its really a baaad paper, btw)..

B.Z.: Celebrations are being held in L.A., London, Tokyo and Berlin - why here ?

John Paul Jones: This City is a real World Metropolis - more so than any other on the european continent. Berlin is open for everything, different languages, cultures, religions and arts.

What kind of sensation do you get seeing your reunion gig at the theatre ?

JPJ: Luckily it's a good feeling ! (laughs) In the end we didn't know beforehand if we were able to pull off the songs in a good way after all these years.

Your secret of success ?

JPJ: It's the Groove! That's what made sure that at our gigs there weren't only hanging out ugly boys, but lots and lots of beautiful, dancing women. What a great view - that's all a musician can dream of.

With a private Jet, destroyed hotel rooms, groupies galore and stadion shows you were role models for Guns & Roses, Mötley Crüe and many other bands.

JPJ: No question - we worked hard for getting that private jet - in the beginning we toured the states with a rickety car, then with a greyhound bus and afterwards with airliners.

The band myth - isn't it more like a monster to you, could you ever really walk out of it's shadow as solo artists ?

JPJ: Not really. In the end Led Zeppelin enables me a secure life. This band earns more money to this day than i could ever be able to spend.

Were a lot of sex and drugs involved ?

JPJ: Not as much as people say, at large. We all were married happily, why should we hold huge orgies ? Of course you'd get involved with groupies when you were lonesome or felt homesick, but it wasnt a routine.

The song Royal Orleans on 1976's Presence lyrically deals with you inviting a Transvestite into your room.

JPJ: No, that wasn't me.

The 2nd part of the lyric describes how you fell asleep with a joint and started a nice fire.

JPJ: (laughs) That's more possible! Concerning the Transvestite: i knew him well. The mix-up did really happen, but to another band member.

In 2007 20 million wanted to see you guys. Why didn't you keep on ?

JPJ: We couldn't find a good agreement. Robert didn't want to do this.

So were you peeved at him ?

JPJ:No, one's gotta accept that. Even if i would have liked to continue.

Bravo moonson! Wunderbar! Vielen dank. :thumbsup:

Here's a transcription of the conversation between John Paul Jones and Helmut Heimann that was aired this afternoon on Radio Eins. (Or, rather, a transcription of JPJ's responses, since I don't understand what's being said in German by the two interlocutors, although the word reunion is mentioned in the second question asked by the journalist.)

First question, John Paul Jones asked about his impressions of Celebration Day.

Second question about a reunion of Led Zeppelin.

http://download.radioeins.de/mp3/_programm/7/20121016/1640_jones.mp3

Thanx for this, Zemun! The interviewer and the journalsit actually are not too inspired and keep talking more common place stuff about the band & event and in pretty much the same way that is has been covered at the cinema interview before.

the good stuff here really are joneseys audio snippets :)

now did anyone find the other cinema interview parts yet ?

they talked for a good half an hour in nice and responsive mood, answering some audience questions as well.

And on a sidenote - after the interview was over, Mr. Baldwin signed LPs, CDs, Photos etc that people brought along for at least 10 minutes time, till most people were served and happy.

Sounds like a fine opportunity to meet John Paul. Did he accept photo requests?

Yeah, at least I got a movie poster signed by Dick Carruthers and a foto of me and my buddy together with him.

We had the chance to to him (likeable guy) and payed compliment to his work and use of Super 8 on the White Spripes DVD "Under Blackpool Lights". He was pleased and recommended Bryan Adams' Concert Movie which he also directed.

He enthusiastically: "It's even better than the White Stripes DVD". "But his music sucks" we told him. He didn't reply :lol:

Sounds like a fine opportunity to meet John Paul. Did he accept photo requests?

post-19355-0-00286700-1350486337_thumb.j

source: https://twitter.com/...4538368/photo/1

Zemun, i dont think there was any time for photo requests, but the pic you posted from twitter made me look twice,

as now i can see myself holding up a PG sleeve to John here (He held a black pen in his hand, so i switched my mind to him signing the white 'scream for help' sleeve 2 seconds later). so, MANY THANX to you - i've now managed to got my personal photo with him somehow !! :yourock:

And on a sidenote - after the interview was over, Mr. Baldwin signed LPs, CDs, Photos etc that people brought along for at least 10 minutes time, till most people were served and happy. Myself qeued up to get an auotograph on an ancient LP cover of his 'Scream for Help' soundtrack vinyl. Someone else held up a book that i believe was a copy of 'Hammer of the Gods' and John refused to sign it, stating it was awful!

i managed to get my LP cover signed and meanwhile asked if he still liked that album.

his short answer was "Uhh,no."

(I really only like oneandahalfsongs on it myself, but the cover lent itself well for a signature) ;)

YES! This is the answer to all those people who keep asking on here why some of us don't like this book.

Did he mention anything on TCV?

yep, he jokingly said that he was only getting reunion questions, regradless which band! ;)

then he added that TCV were always thought to be continued after the first time around. so theres some, if not a lot hope for that to happen. and judging by the way he emphasized his words, it could mean soon.

Hi -I didn't see these posted. Longer versions of the Jonesy interview in Berlin. Enjoy! :D

Part I:

Part II:

(Sorry... I can't get the videos to show up here so just the links. Worth the clicks all the same :D)

That was absolutely fantastic! Thanks for posting the links. God, that was a great interview!

Thanks Patrycja! JPJ doing a little dance in Part II just before 7:00 mark. :-)

Cheers, jb. Yeah now and again rare gems of moments like that one pop up. Totally unexpected, but all the more fun. Great to see Jonesy getting some more of the spotlight. Maybe he should have done some more jigs back in the day. Full of hidden talents lol

That was absolutely fantastic! Thanks for posting the links. God, that was a great interview!

You're welcome :) Too bad about the video quality (what did they call Elton John?), but at least we got to see it. Good questions, adequate time to answer, and an intelligent, witty person responding make for a good interview, and here we had all three. Jonesy rocks.

Cheers, jb. Yeah now and again rare gems of moments like that one pop up. Totally unexpected, but all the more fun. Great to see Jonesy getting some more of the spotlight. Maybe he should have done some more jigs back in the day. Full of hidden talents lol

That's a better description - jig.

You're welcome :) Too bad about the video quality (what did they call Elton John?), .

"Fat Reg"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived