Jimmy winding us up again?

henrybonzo

We know what the issue is, if the right people said, let's do it, he would be all over it

Do we really know this for a fact? I know it's the perceived wisdom but has Page or anyone in his confidence actually said that he needs Robert Plant and John Paul Jones in order to compose good music? Everything I've read about Page here and elsewhere has either alluded to or come right out and stated that he is the mother of all control freaks. Would a control freak concede that much control over his career/muse to other people?

Didn't he say that he doesn't miss playing as much as we would think? Also, he said he is working on something new before and probably feels he can't say no right now. Robert has an advantage because he has so many years of solo career, a new album does not cause as much hype. If Jimmy does release something it's going to be a huge deal and this puts just too much pressure on him, he no longer has the safety of three of the greatest musicians in their prime working with him anymore, maybe he doesn't have anyone suitable to bounce ideas off, that's why he likes working with Robert and JPJ, it just works for him.

Didn't he say that he doesn't miss playing as much as we would think? Also, he said he is working on something new before and probably feels he can't say no right now. Robert has an advantage because he has so many years of solo career, a new album does not cause as much hype. If Jimmy does release something it's going to be a huge deal and this puts just too much pressure on him, he no longer has the safety of three of the greatest musicians in their prime working with him anymore, maybe he doesn't have anyone suitable to bounce ideas off, that's why he likes working with Robert and JPJ, it just works for him.

I know why he would like to work with other good musicians. I just don't know that only Plant and Jones could do it for him. He HAS worked with other musicians in the past. Paul Rodgers, Michael Lee, David Coverdale, etc.

My opinion on this discussion is the same as some of you guys out there. I think Jimmy's old, he's what, 70 now? that's a lot!

We can't expect him to play music until he dies. I think that we still have great chances of seeing the Zepp camp working together to release a DVD with the old footage that isn't out yet, but not a solo album by Jimmy. I understand that he said in 2007 or 2008 that he was gonna put a record together and he had already been doing alot of stuff and that he'd go out and tour it, but come one people, as I said already, he's freaking 70!! That's it! We have all been expecting so much from Zeppelin ,and Page in particular, these last few years but we have to realize that he's old and probably doesn't feel like touring anymore.

My opinion on this discussion is the same as some of you guys out there. I think Jimmy's old, he's what, 70 now? that's a lot!

We can't expect him to play music until he dies. I think that we still have great chances of seeing the Zepp camp working together to release a DVD with the old footage that isn't out yet, but not a solo album by Jimmy. I understand that he said in 2007 or 2008 that he was gonna put a record together and he had already been doing alot of stuff and that he'd go out and tour it, but come one people, as I said already, he's freaking 70!! That's it! We have all been expecting so much from Zeppelin ,and Page in particular, these last few years but we have to realize that he's old and probably doesn't feel like touring anymore.

Would releasing new music necessitate touring on Page's part?

Would releasing new music necessitate touring on Page's part?

Not really, but I mean, nobody exept us, Zeppelin addicts, and some casual fans that listen to more than Stairway, knows Page, or would even have to put up with the hassle of driving to the store and buying the CD. It wouldn't be about money, but more of a public concern matter, really. We know Jimmy Page as Zeppelin's guitarist and founder, they probably don't know him, and those who heard about him only know that he played STH.

I guess that what I'm really trying to say is that you guys should leave him be, if he wants to make a record so be it but if not we already have plenty of Zeppelin albums and bootlegs to listen for a lifetime.

Depends on his deal. Record companies nowadays insist on promotional work for a new album.

Didn't Page self-release "Lucifer Rising"? I haven't bought it yet, as I have no turntable, but that was my impression.

70 is old for a full-length tour, but, B.B. King performed the other night and he's 87.

if james really wanted to get himself out there he would be out with clapton, beck, b.b. king and 30 or so other guitarists on clapton's guitar gods tour. the truth is unless it's the comfort of Zeppelin, jimmy's creating and touring days are long over and have been for 15 yrs or so. Jimmy has little or no ability to be spontaneous ( rarely if ever jumps up on stage if asked to when watching others perform . This man at one time was a creative force, but for a number of reasons has now become an enigma

Yes, "Lucifer Rising" was available through his JimmyPage.com site, but it was a limited edition. I haven't owned a turntable since the 1980's, and I wasn't going to acquire one for the sole purpose of listening to L.R.

I agree with you on the question of touring at that age - who would want to be going from venue to venue, hotel to hotel at that time of life unless you needed the money? I know that Eric Clapton has said publicly that he continues to tour to finance the lifestyle he (EC) and his wife enjoy.

The thing is if Jimmy would only stop giving responses to the press that suggest that he is going to be issuing a new release, or be out there touring. If he didn't do that, no one would expect anything from him. He could have still offered his limited edition albums, signed photographs and boxed sets even if he said that he is retired.

Didn't Page self-release "Lucifer Rising"? I haven't bought it yet, as I have no turntable, but that was my impression.

70 is old for a full-length tour, but, B.B. King performed the other night and he's 87.

i'm not waiting for anything from Jimmy. he's all talk and he's disappointing. if you're not gonna do anything Jimmy, then don't say you are!

I gave up waiting years ago! Jimmy Page is a master of spin - he would make a great politician. Promise the earth and deliver little or in his case fuck all in the past 15 years! He will never admit to being retired as he likes to maintain the mystery and intrigue that constantly surrounds him. By throwing the adoring masses a few tantalising titbits he just causes a feeding frenzy - but i ain't biting!

Personally i thought he shot his creative bolt with the Covedale Page release all of 20 years ago. Now that seriously rocked! All those great riffs he was saving for the much mooted zep reunion around the time of the remasters back in 1990 were used up - the well is dry people!

Live i don't think he can cut it anymore. A single full length gig in the past 13 years says it all. The 02 was great but by the end he looked completely fucked - and that was 5 years ago! Reckon he can still tour at 70 yrs old? When he bottled his solo in Train Kept a Rollin at the Metallica hall of fame gig in 2009 it was the final nail in the coffin for me!

A lot of peeps like to bash Eric Clapton on here but fair play to him he has just released new material (which is surprisingly good!) and is touring regularly at 68 - Jimmy take note!

Is there a point to this thread other than narcissitic carping? Page can say what he wants about what he may or may not be planning. Free speech that also applies to the multitude of idiots on this forum. If Jimmy Page is happy with his life that should be enough.

Keep in mind folks - Jimmy himself has stated on numerous occasions that he is working on new material, would like to get back on stage,

is ready to release something this year, is excited to play live again, etc. etc. etc.

This is coming from Jimmy - not anyone here driving the subject - it's Jimmy who's putting that out there. Yes, Jimmy Page.

So don't fight amongst ourselves - we are not suggesting or asking Jimmy to do anything other than what he himself has said he wants

to do...that's all.

What a dumb argument

You make a good point. What's that saying? "You can't change how people behave but you can change how you react to them." Maybe the problem isn't so much what Jimmy Page does or doesn't do but the people who hang onto his every word.

You make a good point. What's that saying? "You can't change how people behave but you can change how you react to them." Maybe the problem isn't so much what Jimmy Page does or doesn't do but the people who hang onto his every word.

People need to be responsible for their words and actions. It's simple really - if Jimmy can't produce new material then

he shouldn't be raising hopes through multiple interviews with the press by saying he is going to release product this year

or that year. Jimmy needs to give realistic interviews and not use them to get fans excited about projects that haven't materialised.

Don't blame fans for being fans.

Why shouldn't we? He's said he definitely will be doing something. Why shouldn't we trust him

Archived