What age should my son with aspergers start guitar lessons?

amie1974

Advice from fellow musicians please - my son wants to learn guitar, he's just turned 7. I play myself, so not sure whether just to try and teach him myself for now, or whether to pay for lessons? My son has aspergers, and can get distracted easily so I think he may learn better from an outside teacher. But not sure if he's still too young? Don't want him to get frustrated and get put off for life, would rather wait until he's ready....

Any thoughts/advice?

I would agree with f2walsh.

If he wants to learn, he'll let you know, wait for that, otherwise I would think it would be very hard to hold his attention. As long as you include him whilst you are playing, you may get him interested.

Best of luck.

ZISH.

I agree with the comments above re: passion. If it's in him he'll make his way. As for help from you, I'd leave a cheapie acoustic lying around at all times and see if he gravitates to it. If he picks it up and just makes noise that is good and should be applauded!....As for structured lessons, I would wait until his hands are big enough to get around the neck and can fret the strings comfortably to at least give him a chance for initial success. I would have someone else give him his first lessons. Once he gets to a certain point, I bet he'll start asking you for tips and pointers and you guys will be off to the races playing together....just my thoughts, good luck to your son. I hope it all works out for him in everything, not just guitar. cheers Rich

Thanks for all your input folks it's appreciated :) ...

Anyway, after starting this thread yesterday, the strangest thing happened......he came home with a letter from school tonight, and they're going to be doing weekly guitar workshops next term at school! He's really excited about attending. So, hopefully he can learn the basics there, and as fishhead suggests I can leave my acoustic around in case he wants do more with some help...:)

I think music workshops are a great idea for schools, I think there is too much emphasis on SAT tests etc at UK primary school these days and not enough chance to try music, art etc...so I am really pleased.

Archived