Fool In The Rain Shuffle

Up until 1979 John Bonham had a wonderfully powerful technique with a flair for the dramatic.

When In Through The Out Door came out, a lot of drummers I know (my drum instructor, other drummers, and Modern Drummer magazine) were startled at the crispness of his playing on "Fool In The Rain." While we were all familiar with his force and power as a drummer, this track seemed to signify an advancement for him in terms of his approach to this song as a drummer.

I came across a YouTube video where drummer Jeff Porcaro discusses borrowing Bonham's shuffle for Toto's song "Rosanna." Normally anything associated with Toto would be considered a significant demerit for any musician. Except in the case of Porcaro, who was a monster drummer and was one of the studio drummers talented enough at sight-reading sheet music back in the late seventies and early eighties to meet the rigorous standards of Steely Dan.

It's nice when the musician ripping you off are themselves a great musician. Besides Steely Dan, Jeff recorded many albums, and played drums on "Mother" during the recording of Pink Floyd's The Wall. He also died young, at 38 in 1992.

I searched the archives and found a similar post from 2010. But I wanted to post this for newer forum members and anyone deeply interested in the intricacies of Bonham's drumming. When I hear "Fool In The Rain," I marvel at the awesome blend of crispness and force that John displays as the result of years of relentless touring (especially in the early years), and know that it was a sign of good things to come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjZ6JPn91s

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Great post petedelorean

The shuffles Steve posted I have never seen before and am blown away. Where has that been all my life !?!?!?!?

I have played with over a dozen drummers and none of them great. Mostly guys that memorized chops and flops then repeated them in a sequence- 100% of them overplayed.

Terry (link below- great channel) has several outstanding LZ videos- he is chatty and ADHD so anyone venturing thru his channel be warned. FOOL IN THE RAIN was possibly the most unexpected LZ song ever for me. The vocals wear me out some, the drumming stellar.

It is commonly referred to as "The Perdie Shuffle" however I think Bonham did it first. He only did it on that song so it kind of goes un-noticed to most people. Not drummers though...;)

Not even close. Why do you think it's called the "Perdie Shuffle"? If Bonham had done it first, it would have been called the "Bonzo Shuffle", wouldn't it? Bernard Purdie was around for years before Bonham came on the scene.

And who knows...maybe Purdie got the idea from some drummer before him?

^^ Wow, what's up with the unnecessary backlash....? Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed......

And some wonder why others don't visit here long......

This topic has been discussed before ...(same vids and all) will try and find it, before this one gets carried away.

Here's one of a few: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/14807-the-purdie-shuffle-performed-by-john-bonham/page__hl__shuffle__fromsearch__1

What backlash and against whom? Bonham? Purdie? I don't see any backlash.

As for there being an earlier thread...yes, I know that and you know that, but I have given up trying to suggest people use the search function. It's a losing battle.

What backlash and against whom? Bonham? Perdie? I don't see any backlash.

As for there being an earlier thread...yes, I know that and you know that, but I have given up trying to suggest people use the search function. It's a losing battle.

First and second impression.... I thought the whole comment towards (BonzoLed942) was kinda rude.

I think the post was more of a question than a statement, even though it wasn't phrased that way....but that shouldn't matter

What backlash and against whom? Bonham? Purdie? I don't see any backlash.

I thought your comment was ok and was too the point. (One of the draw backs of the forum/texting is we don;t get the face to face or natural expressions we may have when typing)....just saying,......I am trying to take anything away how someone else read into it, but that is how I read into it.....ciao

First and second impression.... I thought the whole comment towards (BonzoLed942) was kinda rude.

I think the post was more of a question than a statement, even though it wasn't phrased that way....but that shouldn't matter

Rude? How so? I didn't call him any names. I didn't insult him. I didn't use vulgarity.

He made a statement that was untrue. No big deal and I probably would have left it alone, figuring someone else would eventually come along and correct him. But then he added that last bit about how only drummers would know the whole "Purdie shuffle" thing...thereby implying that he was a drummer.

Which meant that he should know better...he ought to know Bonham didn't do it first; and he ought to know how to spell Purdie's name...it's not Perdie.

I operate on several levels when posting here. When chatting with regular folk, I am more forgiving of factual errors or other mistakes...we all make them. But if someone is a musician, and makes it a point to suggest that being a musician makes them aware of certain things the mass public isn't, then when he makes a statement that is false, I'm a little more inclined to say so.

I don't consider that being rude...just honest and to the point.

Merle you do seem a little rude but thats ok, we dont have to see each other in person. Bonham is NOT playing a perdie shuffle, its a veriation of a shuffle. they are close but not the same note for note. Bonhams is actually a little trickier to play correctly. to latch on to a mis-spelling and call me or someone else out for that is sooo childish!!! i could have looked up his name but i dont care about spelling someones name wrong, its doesnt matter, and shows your just looking for an argument. yes im a drummer, a working drummer for 25 years. i love that you operate on several levels here as you put it, i guess one of them is not "class". you can be better than me, you win, i really dont want to fight but the fact is the two shuffles are not the same and yes a drummer would know that. Also, bernard probably lifted it off of someone else anyway.

All I know is the footage of the late Jeff Porcaro is so good..

I also love the fact that he freely admitted to being inspired by Bonzo's Fool in The Rain.

Porcaro was a shuffle / groove master.. and his drum kit sounded incredible.

Bernard Purdie is as well. HOME AT LAST on AJA has his great shuffle all over it.

"Here is Bonzo's isolated drums for Fool in the Rain."

God that was awesome. I had no idea this thread would lead to me hearing that for the very first time.

I made pains to mention I viewed the earlier post from 2010. Although I am new here, perhaps it is acceptable in some cases to generate a thread on a topic that has been covered before, IF:

1. One searches the archives first

2. The originating post was not too recent (unwilling to define "recent"), AND

3. One has something to bring to the table, meaning you have an additional take on the topic or can expand on it.

Just a thought.

I can imagine posts have been introduced that have been beaten to death in the past. All the poster need do is view the original post to get their questions answered. There was some lively engagement in this thread, and, thanks to the video files, an informative thread for me personally.

And thanks for the isolated track. That was unexpected.

How does one isolate a Bonham track from a studio recording? I want Kashmir and When The Levee Breaks!

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

I really like this song

And what I love about Bonzo's drumming is that he knew when to really hammer the skins, and then he knew when subtlety and craft were just as effective. That shows intelligence, but a lot people just remember him for his power

What an immense talent. So sad he died so young

And thanks for the isolated track. That was unexpected.

How does one isolate a Bonham track from a studio recording? I want Kashmir and When The Levee Breaks!

Hey people,peace!

Unfortunatelly ,only isolated drum tracks available are outtakes recorded in Polar Studios,taken from the ITTOD sessions in 1978. But it's a true gem,must have for all Bonzo fans IMPO.

Here: www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

Cheers!

Archived