Light & Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page

I also wrote to Brad Tolinski on facebook and told him how much I am enjoying the book. He wrote me back and thanked me and told me it was 'twenty years in the making.'

I would be also very curious to his answer to mstork's question.

i really appreciated the decision to include an astrologer's comments on Jimmy's chart - although in common with Brad Tolinski, I think she tailored her comments very carefully and it seems only a partial reading. In particular, though I'm perhaps missing something and open to correction, I think she over-emphasised the role of his first house Venus on his musicality. I'm an amateur, but I can see his love of art in his chart more clearly than I can see his love of music. That's why I welcome this piece, for a start, and would LOVE to see more analysis from other astrologers : does anyone know of other commentaries?

There's an interesting commentary from British astrologer Neil Spencer, in a piece he wrote a while ago about Robert Plant, but which rightly makes references to Jimmy's chart :

http://www.neilspencer.co.uk/12-musician-sun-signs/leo-robert-plant/

Also - the astrologer Margaret Santangelo in Brad Tolinski's book refers to the uncertainty around Jimmy's exact birth time. I have also seen a range of times from 3 am to 4.17 am ( the latter time apparently once quoted by Charlotte Martin ). I hope that between BT and his astrologer, one of them was assiduous enough to at least ask Jimmy the question. To know that he has Scorpio rising is a crucial piece of information which he chose years ago to share... but the degree of Scorpio would make a significant difference to an understanding of his chart.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a look at the book at my local book store Whitcoulls and I loved what I saw, so I placed an order for it and it should be at my door step at least by the end of this week. I am honestly not at all familiar with the interviews in the book, so I guess this is all going to be new and extremely exciting for me! :thumbsup:

i really appreciated the decision to include an astrologer's comments on Jimmy's chart - although in common with Brad Tolinski, I think she tailored her comments very carefully and it seems only a partial reading. In particular, though I'm perhaps missing something and open to correction, I think she over-emphasised the role of his first house Venus on his musicality. I'm an amateur, but I can see his love of art in his chart more clearly than I can see his love of music. That's why I welcome this piece, for a start, and would LOVE to see more analysis from other astrologers : does anyone know of other commentaries?

There's an interesting commentary from British astrologer Neil Spencer, in a piece he wrote a while ago about Robert Plant, but which rightly makes references to Jimmy's chart :

http://www.neilspenc...o-robert-plant/

Also - the astrologer Margaret Santangelo in Brad Tolinski's book refers to the uncertainty around Jimmy's exact birth time. I have also seen a range of times from 3 am to 4.17 am ( the latter time apparently once quoted by Charlotte Martin ). I hope that between BT and his astrologer, one of them was assiduous enough to at least ask Jimmy the question. To know that he has Scorpio rising is a crucial piece of information which he chose years ago to share... but the degree of Scorpio would make a significant difference to an understanding of his chart.

The interconnectedness of family dynamics in astrology is fascinating. Within a family or any close unit you'll find all sorts of striking aspects and relationships. While I'm not an expert, this quote from the link you provided explains much:

"Most intriguing is that the charts of Page and Plant find their respective Saturn, the control planet, sitting exactly on the other man’s Jupiter, the planet of exuberance. This describes the way the pair both complemented each other, but how their relationship also became a struggle for control over each other."

For Page, the Cancer moon denotes a highly emotional person, Capricorn sun an earthy but very business like personality. I agree with you about Venus 1st house: about art but also beauty, especially the way you appear to others. I've always looked at Neptune for music. One thing not mentioned; I believe Jupiter is Page's most elevated planet in the 10th house. I have that too and have been told that's a very good placement for business as is a strong Cancer in the chart.

Is there an astrology thread on this website someplace? Don't want to bore the pants off anyone with this but love to discuss the aspects and planet placements in charts.

Is there an astrology thread on this website someplace? Don't want to bore the pants off anyone with this but love to discuss the aspects and planet placements in charts.

Yes, there is one, actually two or three. This is the most recent one.*

http://forums.ledzep...__1#entry582934

*I'm a Virgo, 80 percent true to form. I enjoy reading the astrology stuff for fun (sometimes uncannily accurate), so hope you post some new info! :) Missy

I'm a Virgo too!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

^^^ Hey Gina, alright! :) Do you tend to overanalyze things too, lol?

Back on Topic: I wrote a review of this book earlier and have since changed my mind. I was at first disappointed that nearly all the info I already knew (there were a few factual errors as well). But now on second read through, I appreciate that it's Jimmy in his own words. Seeing that I have only one other book dedicated solely to him, it's nice to have this. Plus, the chapter on his guitars did have a few new things for me to learn.

Hmm, I can't seem to find my original review on this thread....where did it go?? Analyzing, checking.... oh, here it is, on another thread. :) Missy

http://forums.ledzep...hy/page__st__20

^^^ Hey Gina, alright! :) Do you tend to overanalyze things too, lol?

Back on Topic: I wrote a review of this book earlier and have since changed my mind. I was at first disappointed that nearly all the info I already knew (there were a few factual errors as well). But now on second read through, I appreciate that it's Jimmy in his own words. Seeing that I have only one other book dedicated solely to him, it's nice to have this. Plus, the chapter on his guitars did have a few new things for me to learn.

Hmm, I can't seem to find my original review on this thread....where did it go?? Analyzing, checking.... oh, here it is, on another thread. :) Missy

http://forums.ledzep...hy/page__st__20

Yes I do all the time can't help it, I'm my worst enemy lol :P

To Shadecatcher: I agree the astrological addendum at the end of the book is not very detailed. For those interested by this sort of things, these are 2 astrological charts and their analysis for Page and Plant on a website I've just found:

http://www.astrothem...gy/Robert_Plant

http://www.astrothem...logy/Jimmy_Page

These charts and analyses do offer a lot of detail and are helpful for that reason : however they are computer-generated and so miss the insights which a personal reading would give. I don't think everything in a chart has an equivalent value: the interpretation is key.

Before anything else, an astrological birth chart is a mathematical calculation - and in part the reading of an astrological chart is an exercise in geometry. But the real gain comes with the human element : knowledge coupled with an intuitive understanding ...( Plus great communication skills to express the meaning clearly) .

You could argue that music is essentially a mathematical function - and obviously some people have attempted to get computers to compose music. But we all recognise that the power of music comes from the intangible human element - in composition and in interpretation.

Although the astrology section in Brad Tolinski's book is frustratingly short, the author has sought out some of the particularly telling features of Jimmy's chart, and has related them to what we know of him. So many more questions to answer though: Brad should have given her more space !

I fully agree. Having said that there is a flip side: by definition computers don't have personal opinions or preconceptions about the subject, so it's a good starting point at least. Ideal situation is to have a chart reading by a real astrolog but without disclosing the name of the person.

Thanks for that! Definitely - the construction of the natal chart (or any chart for that matter) is simply applying math - computers have made it so much easier and accurate. But no computer can read a chart. As the woman I studied with once said, it's part intuitive interpretation (based on experience from seeing the same aspect or placement many, many times and having its significance proven) and part psychology, once the science is taken care of.

• 2 months later...

I am surprised by the negative reviews some members gave this book. I haven't been a subscribed to Guitar World, so the interviews were new to me, and I thought they were extremely interesting. In fact, the info in this book answers some questions that I notice have popped up on this site...most of it is interviews with Page or interviews with other musicians, so how can you complain? I guess if you were looking for tawdry and tabloid-type stories, you might be disappointed...I stay away from that stuff. The book answered questions I had about the music and that was what I was looking for.

I am surprised by the negative reviews some members gave this book. I haven't been a subscribed to Guitar World, so the interviews were new to me, and I thought they were extremely interesting. In fact, the info in this book answers some questions that I notice have popped up on this site...most of it is interviews with Page or interviews with other musicians, so how can you complain? I guess if you were looking for tawdry and tabloid-type stories, you might be disappointed...I stay away from that stuff. The book answered questions I had about the music and that was what I was looking for.

I don't know that posters who criticized Tollinski's book wanted more tabloid-type stories. Maybe they just wanted more information about Page's childhood and family background. Our family background and childhood experiences play a big role in who we are as adults. I thought Keith Richards' autobiography, "Life" did a good job with this.

Archived